[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get into Dick. I don't really want to go through

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: PKD.jpg (63KB, 596x751px) Image search: [Google]
PKD.jpg
63KB, 596x751px
I want to get into Dick.

I don't really want to go through the effort of tracking down dozens of dirty paperbacks.
Is there a comprehensive set out there?
A flowchart maybe?

All the best stuff, none of the shit in one swoop?
I saw there were Library of America sets; is this the best, most comprehensive there is?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>8587781
In /lit/, dick get into you
>>
>>8587781
kageshi.com/rooms/penis/ is pretty comprehensive.
>>
File: pkd-flowchart-New-Page-2.png (494KB, 2550x3300px) Image search: [Google]
pkd-flowchart-New-Page-2.png
494KB, 2550x3300px
>>8587781
>>8587795
>>8587944
And now that we've memed ya, here's an actual chart
>>
File: PA_dick.jpg (206KB, 1050x526px) Image search: [Google]
PA_dick.jpg
206KB, 1050x526px
>>
>>8587781
The three Library of America hardbacks contain the core of his work. The one with Ubik is where you should start, unless you wanna jump right into the real shit in which case get the one with Valis. Or you could get the box set if you got money.
>>
Read everything chronologically to see the decent into madness.
>>
>>8587781
By far I read
>Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
>The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
>Ubik
>Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said
>The Man in the High Castle
>The Minority Report and also the short story The Electric Ant.
All were great and I highly recommend them.

Question to other anons, should I start the VALIS trilogy now, or would it be better to read more of him before? Is that his best work?
>>
>>8587781

A good short story collection or Do Androids Dream would be the best catheter
>>
>>8590239
VALIS trilogy isn't his best work (sorry, Dick) but might change the way you think about life. His best book is A Scanner Darkly, even Dick admitted that. Also, you could jump right into it, I read it after just reading The Simulacra, an obscure but great one by him (coincidentally, he called it his personal sentimental favorite out of all his novels in a late interview (but not necessarily his "best" work)).
>>
>>8587781
>I want to get into Dick.
I bet u do haha ;)
>>
I wonder if anyone's interested, I've read
>The Broken Bubble
>Time Out of Joint
>Confessions of a Crap Artist
>The Man in the High Castle
>Martian Time-Slip
>The Game-Players of Titan
>The Simulacra
>The Crack in Space
>The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
>The Penultimate Truth
>Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
>Ubik
>Galactic Pot-Healer
>Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said
>A Scanner Darkly
>VALIS
>The Divine Invasion
>The Transmigration of Timothy Archer
>a shitload of interviews by him
>what felt like a shitton of his Exegesis (read about 200 pages straight of it, then used the index to hop around and read what was most interesting, maybe another 100 to 200 pages --- it's basically a compilation of letters and journal entries etc., so reading it straight through would require more Adderall than I have access to)

AMA. To clarify, I know a particular lot about what he said about his mystical experience/mental breakdown (?), how he interpreted it and his past works retroactively in the light of it.
>>
>>8587781

Start with Pickwick Papers. It was his first published work, and his funniest, reflecting his early lack of cynicism. If you want something shorter, go with Great Expectations. Also we're definitely getting into the time of year when A Christmas Carol would be a great choice
>>
>>8590261
>catheter
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.