[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What"s /lit/'s opinion of Chesterton? I'm not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

What"s /lit/'s opinion of Chesterton? I'm not Catholic myself, but Orthodoxy is killer. He's got a great flow to his writing, and he really effectively conveys a lot of freight-train ideas in fun and simple ways (for theology).

Anyone know any other must read Chesterton? Everlasting Man is on deck but he wrote a ridiculous amount so there's a lot to choose from in both fiction and nonfiction.
>>
>>8585335

He is generally perceived as a pretty dumb Catholicuck, particularly for his retarded ad hom """"refutation"""" of Nietzsche.

Father Brown is alright, though. Better than Sherlock Holmes.
>>
I noticed Zizek trumpets Chesterton and praises his work often, which is unfortunate, since Zizek clearly has brain-damage from all the cocaine and leftist-propaganda he ingests daily

having said that I enjoyed The Man Who Was Thursday
>>
File: Chesterton.jpg (561KB, 1563x2130px) Image search: [Google]
Chesterton.jpg
561KB, 1563x2130px
>>8585340
That "ad hominem" refutation of Nietzsche is actually brilliant if you think about it a bit.

I mean, really, how often does Nietzsche use ad hominem attacks on other philosophers? It's a constant thing. He consistently uses a philosopher's thoughts to psychologize about their private life, and then use those imaginings to disqualify their thinking.

Well, Chesterton decides that two can play that game, and so he delves into Nietzsche's own private life to discredit his thought. You might say this is unfair, but what is it, really, other than Chesterton playing by Nietzsche's rules? And if you say that what Chesterton has done shouldn't be done, you've stumbled into the great strength of the refutation: that it isn't a good refutation at all, but by extension, neither are any of Nietzsche's refutations of Christianity, of Platonism, of nearly everything he refuted.

Chesterton offers a bad refutation that turns into a good refutation, because acknowledging its badness causes a huge chunk of Nietzsche's criticisms of other thinkers to unravel. It's almost... paradoxical, but then, of course it is.

OP, you should read Chesterton's critical essays. Try "Heretics" and "What's Wrong With The World."
>>
>>8585357

Nietzsche's life discredits his entire philosophy, in fact, most atheistic philosophers have this problem.
>>
Read his essays. There's an anthology called In Defense of Sanity. Perhaps you should check it out.
>>
Basically just read any of his essays. He was brilliant all around, but his essays are his best work.
>>
Awful poetry, mediocre stories.

But his apologetics and philosophy were great. Essays as they say above. The trio The Everylasting Man, Orthodoxy, and Heresy, of course.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.