[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Deleuze's work requires intimate familiarity with a great

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: Gilles_Deleuze.jpg (10KB, 279x200px) Image search: [Google]
Gilles_Deleuze.jpg
10KB, 279x200px
Deleuze's work requires intimate familiarity with a great number of other works, studied in a particular way. Doesn't this make it anti-rhizomatic? Having an extremely opaque list of prerequisites to reading your work is the most hierarchical thing I can imagine.

I'm going to go ahead and admit I stopped reading 10 pages into Difference and Repetition, 5 pages into ATP, and some unknown amount into AO, because they were impossible to understand for the above reason.

Please tell me if I'm going about this the wrong way.

I posted this in /his/ as well, but due to unfamiliarity with the board I didn't realize it was just /pol/ 2.0. My mistake.
>>
>>8585160
I'm 20 pages into Andrew Culp's Dark Deleuze, and all I've read by Deleuze is his essay on Proust. Don't even think I finished it.
>>
>>8585160
The rhizomatic method would be not bothering with specifics and constructing your own interpretation. Jump in at a random page, read the bit that interests you and conclude meaning for yourself
>>
>>8585187
do you have a pdf?
>>
>>8585160
He is difficult without any prior knowledge of philosophy. You can still read the book and take what you want, but that wouldn't be the same reading than a more philosophy concerned one.
>>
>>8585160
>author writes in a Marxist and Psychoanalytic tradition
>/lit/ isn't it oppression that I have to have a baseline understanding of Marx and Freud to understand Deleuze

Why does everything have to be so easy??

You don't actually have to read very much at all before diving into AO. The hardest part about D&G is that they make up so many damn words. This is probably what's been stopping you.

But you should really be reading Badiou instead. So I guess this isn't a total loss.
>>
>>8585783
>Jump in at a random page, read the bit that interests you and conclude meaning for yourself
that´s why postmodernism sucks

it really describes the mindset of those fucking millenials "Jump in, do whatever, have fun"
>>
>>8585160

You should start with Deleuze's reflections on other philosophers particularly Nietzsche and have (semi)competent knowledge with regards to Structuralism particularly Lacan -> Althusser.

In all honesty Deleuze isn't that hard compared to some of the other nightmares within the tradition he walks in, he is just very jargon heavy so building up an understanding of terminology is the main barrier to entry.

Also you should checkout Manuel DeLanda's lectures on YouTube; he has a pretty good knack at making Deluze somewhat decipherable to people who may not have a firm grasp with this sort of philosophy.
>>
>>8585989
I read philosophy for militants a few years back because the cover looked edgy (I seem to recall something in the book mentioning that being the point of the cover) but I couldn't tell you what it was about. I had read a considerable amount of Zizek before him which is why I knew the name at all.

Who would you suggest reading as a prerequisite to Badiou?
>>
>>8586026
Thanks for the suggestion. I've actually been trying to figure out who to read before Nietzsche in order to better understand him...before I read him as a prereq to Deleuze.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.