[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I into social theory? Was thinking of picking up something

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 3

File: Michel_Foucault_sithum.jpg (53KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Michel_Foucault_sithum.jpg
53KB, 600x600px
How do I into social theory? Was thinking of picking up something by Foucault to get started, possibly Discipline and Punish.
>>
>>8581258
Why not Hobbes and Rousseau? or Aristotle's politics
>>
>>8581258
Foucault is not really entry tier.
>>
>>8581258
If you want easy to go and actual political/social theory

Read Giddens, Habermas

If you wanna go deep into and just fuck up your whole perception of society

Read Foucault, Horkheimer, Lukacs.

If you wanna go with the classics
Read Hobbes, Locke, Rousseau

Or the more actual Classics
Marx, Weber, Durkheim
>>
>>8581258
That's actually Scott Adams auditioning for Mad Men.
>>
>>8581418
You were doing so well until you got to the hack frauds
>>
>>8581258
Foucault a hack

Bordieu - Distinction
Ellul - Propaganda
Durkheim - Dvision of Labor & Suicide
Unabomber manifesto
>>
>>8581258
A documentary on chimpanzees is a start.

>>8581440
>Bordieu - Distinction
Oh yes.
>>
>>8581433
Who?
If you say foucault and Lukacs imma fuck you up man
>>
>>8581258
You might as well read a literal piece of shit, you'll gain more valuable insight than by reading these french faggots.
>>
>>8581491
You should show more cultural goodwill, member of the dominated class.
>>
>>8581503
>le class warfare meemee
jesus fucking christ when will this die
>>
>>8581521
The day those creepy working class people stop supporting literally Voldemort.

God, it's as if poor people have a different worldview or something. This is why they need to be educated harder and punished more thoroughly for their bad, hateful manners.
>>
I havent read D&P, but I highly recommend History of Sexuality. Foucault is as indispensable as Baudrillard for understanding the world of social constructs (memes) we are living in.
>>
>>8581258

Start with the Foucault Reader by Paul Rabinow.

It gives you a wider view of his theory and its different applications.

It is well constructed in that it is a selection of excepts strung together. Also, the introduction is informative.

If you are more interested in the theory than the historical content, the read is for you. His books delve deep into historical analysis, where as the reader gives the basic settings, conclusions, but is mostly theoretical.

It can then be used as your on manual for preforming a genealogical assessment something
>>
Disregard all 20th century French hacks.

Foucault is particularly terrible, with his countless misreadings of Nietzsche.
>>
As others said, Foucault is not really entry-level tier. Not because he's complicated, but you're gonna miss out on a lot of the references.

How about some history? Maybe "Historical Capitalism" by Immanuel Wallerstein is a good starter book. Or "Formal Logic and Dialectical Logic" by Henri Lefebvre. Maybe even "Mythologies" by Roland Barthes. Or since we're in the power discussion, "Caliban and the Witch", by Silvia Federici.

These are all very good entry-level books that will definetly not waste your time.
>>
Thoughts on The Postmodern Condition? Will it be too complicated for an entry-level critical theory reader?
>>
>>8581440
Wait, wait. Foucault may be a hack but I want to know what everyone is talking about. How do I get into his theory?
>>
>>8581537
>literally voldemort
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
Is there a chart for getting into this?
>>
>>8583156
Somebody should make one for people like me.
>>
>>8583156
>>8583174
I found this list recently and it's what I'm basing my future readings on. Also taking a break from /lit/ because of all the hate and opinions of anons that do not really want to help but only feel superior. That truly fucks up your notions of the pursuit of knowledge. I think I rather go outside and talk to actual people who actually know things. That being said, good luck to all of you. inb4 it's a shitty pleb list, whatever. I like that it begins in the foundations. It's also critical theory, but there's obviously a whole lot of social theory in there. Farewell.
>>
>>8583237
sorry forgot link

http://www.critical-theory.com/87-critical-theorist-books/
>>
>>8583245
I think it's a good list.
>>
>>8581440
You didn't read any of those, shut the fuck up mate
>>
>>8581258

>"""philosopher"""
>not smart enough to use a condom

Why do people take this hack seriously again?
>>
Why the diss on Foucault?
>>
>>8583512
look up the foucault-habermas debate or criticism of his historical research
he's a pretty nice theorist but everything he says is wrong
>>
>>8583652

>Implying Habermas or any of the other French hacks are right

Kojève should have been shot for bringing Hegel into the 20th century and essentially birthing the French """"intellectual"""" tradition.
>>
Should I read Comments on the Society of the Spectacle or Simulacra and Simulation first? Pls respond.
>>
>>8583992
yes
>>
>>8583652
>>8583663
Stop talking about things you don't know, friends
>>
>>8581258
Avoid the french writers, except for Bourdieu m8.

Try Comte, Marx, Weber and Adorno.
>>
>>8584520
Comte is French.
>>
Where to start with Marx though
>>
>>8584541
https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/sw/progress-publishers/one-volume.htm
>>
>>8581433
lol none of those are frauds you pseud
>>
>>8584520
Stop posting

Also >>8584528
>>
>>8583992
Can someone help me please?
>>
File: IMG_0749.jpg (48KB, 620x357px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0749.jpg
48KB, 620x357px
>>8584541

Capital, Volume 1, Part 2
>>
>>8584541
In the trash
>>
>>8583462
>he uses condoms
Analytic not living an aesthetic life detected.
>>
>>8583992
I would replace Spectacle with Disipline & Punish since it discusses the same topics with more depth. Since those books aren't related whatsover you're free to choose whatever you want but me personally I found Baudrillard rather difficult compared to Foucault
>>
OP read about critical theory and intersectionality these are more pressing and current and accurate versions of what you may be into and are inclusive of alternate narratives that don't erase competing cultural experiences purported by sexual and ethnic minorities.
Particularly read about agenda setting theory because I believe this is the main pillar of white suppression of cultural communities.
It's ok if you're into philosophy but you're walking a fine line between passive racism and active bigotry when you read white mythology and present it as fact so just as a heads up letting you know what is OK to read and what isn't.
>>
>>8581269
This. I once sat in on 3rd year undergrads discussing him and was truly amazed at how bizarre their interpretations were.
>>
>>8583237
Uh, like they're good books but they're a bit heavy going while also all over the place. For Foucault you'd get more out of Canguilhem and Bachelard tbqh, and for N's genealogical method GoM is obv quite good as is BGE but he covers it more clearly in earlier work like daybreak and some essays (I'm not able to look up names atm).
>>
>>8583652
>or criticism of his historical research
People blow this out of proportion. Either they misread him because of "I don't get non literal language" autism (e.g. "Foucault thought there was a real ship of fools!") or others misread stuff that isn't strong criticism as strong criticism (like that classics one from a few years back that was p much "foucault didn't go far enough", I forget her name tho)
>>
That people keep responding to this thread suggests that /lit/'s fascination with French hacks is still going strong.
>>
>>8585790
Go wank to some statistics, anglo scum.
>>
>>8585679
So Discipline and Punish discusses the same topics as Spectacle? Do you mind elaborating please? I'm having a lot of trouble understanding what the spectacle is and how we see it in modern times. Thank you.
>>
>>8585683
faggot
>>
If you have a hard time with Foucault you are in way over your head lol
>>
>>8581258
critique de la raison dialectique
>>
>>8585721
That's because Foucault's writing and ideas are bizarre as fuck. Have you ever read the introduction to The Order of Things? Las Meninas is confusing and obscure as all hell.
>>
>>8583992
Society first, but if you truly wanna grasp it, you need a good footing on classical marxism, and I strongly suggest you On the Poverty of Student Life and the first number of the Internationale Situationniste newspaper (both very easy to find online, notbored.org has both and a shitload of other things).

Simulacra is good but it honestly pales in comparison to Debord's explosive critique, and should be taken much more lightly than SotS
>>
>>8587017
It really doesn't, but one could stretch both texts to say they do. D&P is a traditional, academic work, while SotS was more of a manifesto / call to action / guide to praxis.

Both are worth a read though.
>>
>>8587017
The spectacle is first the depiction of an desirable life and second the social relationship between people that is mediated by images of said ideals. So instead of living an authentic life you're being told what you should purchase and how you have to act to live one.
The more important question imo is how the spectacle can be weaponized to exert power over the individual and this is where D&P comes in. It never mentions The Spectacle per se but as >>8587229 said, it's not difficult to find similarities and incorporate thos ideas.
>>
>>8584541
>>8584747
Should definetly start off with Value Price and Profit if you're looking to get into Marx. Or Critique of the Gotha Programme. Class Struggles in France. Ugh so many. Engel's Holy Family, or Anti Duhring.

Seriously though, Capital might be a bit complicated after the first 200 pages for a beginner. And it's like a million pages long.
>>
File: pinochet.jpg (74KB, 334x250px) Image search: [Google]
pinochet.jpg
74KB, 334x250px
>>8588430
Either go back to tumblr or get onboard the helicopter
>>
>>8588592
Xd
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.