[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone into antique book collecting? Any valuable first editions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

File: O.jpg (156KB, 630x400px) Image search: [Google]
O.jpg
156KB, 630x400px
Anyone into antique book collecting?
Any valuable first editions in your collections?
>>
>>8581173
I think I have some first editions of A Farewell to Arms and For Whom the Bell Tolls, I'm not sure because they are in really good condition
I was reading Farewell and if I left my finger on the text long enough it would start to smug, so I figure it was old since nothing else does that
>>
>>8581205
What does the copy of For Whom the Bell Tolls look like?
>>
I have a KJV Bible signed by the author
>>
>>8581173
I got a Columbo mystery first edition, a book collected told me it was worth like 45 U.S. dollars or stg
>>
>>8581173
I have a first edition of The Hobbit given to me by my grandparents.
>>
I got a first edition Bible, signed by the author, God.
>>
>>8581526
>>8582271
Eh. Three times the charm. One more time.
>>
>>8581173
In Cold Blood first edition
>>
File: ssezsqfLX8oi976Sbesm4Q.jpg (497KB, 805x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ssezsqfLX8oi976Sbesm4Q.jpg
497KB, 805x1200px
>>8581215
>>
I've recently acquired a 1st edition copy of "the Years" by Virginia Woolf that I had valued around £250. Still got original dust jacket, if a bit worn. £10 well spent.

I covet my grandfathers folio Ulysses with illustrations no end. It'll be mine one day.
>>
The oldest book I got is a Goethe poem collection from 1949. It's yellow and stinks.
>>
>>8582543
>I covet my grandfathers folio Ulysses with illustrations no end. It'll be mine one day.
This would be a great opening line, desu.
>>
>>8582618
This

>and then the grandpa dies under mysterious circumstances and everyone thinks it's anon but really it's a greedy book dealer who thinks he owes him something and the book dealer and the grandpa turn out to be related and anon has to find a way to secure the book before the rare book burners from historical revisions department get there hands on it

Idk.
>>
I have a pretty rare Soviet Biography of Lenin. It's worth like 50 or 60 UKbux.
>>
No, it's disgusting. I like to read books, not pretend i'm some sort of old-world maester
>>
>>8582891
I actally thought of something like this
> Anon contemplates, if it is right to kill his grandpa for the book. There is a long monologue about right and wrong, morals, the worth of humans, greed and pessimism. There are ocassional flashbacks to the time they spend together and his girlfriend, which passed last winter. Anon is clearly torn. After a long zime he finally found peace and came to the conclusion, that he will and can not kill his grandpa and packs his bags to give him a visit. Then, a phone call, his mother on the other side. TTe books end with the line "Anon...I-I'm sorry. I know it's especially hard on you, but please be strong...your grandpa, he..."

Do I have what it takes to get a 2/5 rating on goodreads?
>>
>>8583052
>>8582891
Spurned on by you lot I'm going to somehow acquire it tonight. Will post proofs tomorrow.
>>
File: fwtbt1.jpg (226KB, 916x1632px) Image search: [Google]
fwtbt1.jpg
226KB, 916x1632px
>>8582451

Hmmm... Not the asker, but here's mine. I guess one of us will learn today that we don't have a first edition.
>>
File: fwtbt2.jpg (239KB, 916x1632px) Image search: [Google]
fwtbt2.jpg
239KB, 916x1632px
>>8583503
>>
>>8583052
Ohmy go d.

4chan /lit/ professional ghost writing service. We'll help you, but in exchange the FBI will never take you off their watchlist
>>
>>8583530
I don't get it.
>>
File: photo_1468957992830.jpg (2MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
photo_1468957992830.jpg
2MB, 2340x4160px
i bought this old german bible
>>
Someone gave me an RL Stine signed copy of his adult novel Superstitious.

big bux
>>
>>8583559
Also a 1917 copy of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, with illustrations.

Not sure if it is worth anything, neat having a 100 year old book though.
>>
>>8582543
>I covet my grandfathers folio Ulysses with illustrations no end.
Is it the one with illustration by Matisse or by Paladino?
Because I have the one with Paladino and I don't think it's that hard to find.
Got it for 15 £ in a bookshop in Inverness.

The Matisse one on the other hand...
>>
>>8583503
>>8583508
yours looks older, but I googled it the other day because of this thread and it looks like mines a 1968 copy, I just googled it again and it looks like yours actually is a first edition
congrats
>>
>>8582451
Not first edition. It's a book club edition from the 80's.

>>8583503
Likely a first edition. By the time Hemingway wrote For Whom The Bell Tolls he was pretty famous do there are way to many of these around. It's not so valuable without the dust jacket and in pristine condition.

It's actually the first antique book I ever bought, it cost me three dollars and was in terrible quality, but it made me recognize some editions of books for their extrinsic value and often buy antiques and special editions of books I like to display them.

This site is pretty good to look on famous first editions:
http://www.fedpo.com
>>
File: bells.jpg (260KB, 916x1200px) Image search: [Google]
bells.jpg
260KB, 916x1200px
>>8583745
It was a surprise gift from my older brother, who has probably read five books in his life. We went to Spain together as children, so the value is personal.

Another favorite: my patrician 11th grade AP English teacher gave me a beautifully illustrated 1881 first ed. of Poe's "The Bells" for winning the class prize, though I can't for the life of me remember what I did to deserve it. Also not terribly rare or valuable (and a pretty mediocre poem), but still a beautiful book.
>>
I have a full Tolstoy collection of leather bound Scribner 1922 books. Only one(war and peace) has significant damage to the spine. Working on having it professionally repaired.

The gold letters are quite faded on most of the books as well, but for being 100 years old they're in quite nice condition. I only spent $15 or so each on them in a set from a retiring library curator at one of my universities.
>>
>>8583573
Paladino. If it was the Matisse one, he'd have been euthanised years ago.
>>
>>8581173

Just this for now
>>
>>8583877

That's a nice score, anon. If you bought it post-True Detective, then I have to guess you paid a pretty premium. Even my copy of Ligotti's The Nightmare Factory was selling for silly money during the show's run.
>>
>>8583933
>Ligotti's The Nightmare Factory

I still want his works. The expensive ones have nice art work. And I found a cheap seller for the king in yellow so I am happy about it
>>
>>8581173
I like to collect first editions of my favorite books when economically feasible. Off the top of my head...

Most of Borges works
Stefan Zweig beware of pity
Lolita
Saul Bellow's stuff
Bolano's 2666 and SD
Cortazar's stuff
Beckett's works
Some Italo Calvino
John Hawkes books
Poetry 1st editions by Ashbery, Neruda, Transtromer...
probably some others I'm forgetting...always on the hunt for good deals.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.