[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone else /actually/ read this? Just finished and I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_6359.jpg (382KB, 1350x2025px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6359.jpg
382KB, 1350x2025px
Has anyone else /actually/ read this? Just finished and I'm unironically hoping to discuss it.

imo it's interesting in its own way. If you read it closely it really enables you to think about what constitutes a novel; what its essential parts are, and what is merely convention. Any notions you have about plot structure, character development, and aesthetics are probably going to be challenged.

Beyond that, It also lets you understand what it's like to have severe but high functioning autism. The main characters are pitiful, schizophrenic, but idealized version of the author, and apparently his irl imaginary friends. The rules-oriented universe and black and white morality (which conforms with our most obvious social norms 1:1) truly capture the dissociated unfeeling calculus of logical positivism.

How does magic operate in a world with no magic to it? What is there to be gleaned from an adventure with no rising action, no resolution, no cathartic jouissance? When do the checkboxes of the hero's journey become nothing more than a to-do list?

In a way, this novel could be seen as representing the end-game of genre fiction, by transmuting the definite finale of an RPG into book form.
>>
>>8580456
You'd have better luck finding someone who read Finnegans Wake from cover to cover.
>>
I think it's unfair on logical positivists to associate them with the smorgasbord of autism that is this book.
>>
>>8580538
perhaps anon

>>8580543
have you read it? i think its pretty fair.
>>
>>8580456
Uli isn't autistic, he is obsessive compulsive, though obviously he has some maladaptive daydreaming issues which are common in autistic and schizoid people. I do agree though, this book, though probably unintentionally, deconstructs the hero's journey and takes a massive shit on fantasy in general. I think the best way to describe this book is imaginatively unimaginative. It's so fucking banal at times that it lets you take a step back and see that he's doing the same shit as every other genrefic author. Where they're lofty headed, empty brained lyricists, he's got his head stuck so far in the dirt of his world that he can see the code behind every color.

People who put him in the same tier as CWC are foolish. While I would say this is a work of unintentional merit, a bit like MTW, there's something very interesting going on inside of his mind.
>>
>>8580456
You're so fucking right, this book does more to deconstruct genre fiction than a thousand half-assed parodies. Really takes "worldbuilding" in genre fiction to its logical extreme by outlining how the fictional world would work as game code. Ulililia=the most underrated unintentional literary theorist of our time.
>>
When can I play platforms masters though?
>>
>>8580456
His prose also has a strange aesthetic. His scene transitions are at times very interesting in a good way although they are almost an afterthought in his detailed descriptions of the environment.
>>
File: uliilia.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
uliilia.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
Is he the new king of /lit/?
>>
File: 241561.jpg (400KB, 1006x394px) Image search: [Google]
241561.jpg
400KB, 1006x394px
>>8580456
Read it for the memes, stayed for the Pizza Hut coupons
>>
>>8580979
CWC = Last man

Uli = Übermensch
>>
Daily reminder to degrease your pizzas.
>>
I would buy it but I don't have the money. I like Nick and we talked once when he was streaming. He's a very swell guy that is crippled by mental illness that others don't understand since they don't go through it. I can relate, honestly. I actually refuse to torrent it like I do most everythinv else, but I am just a poor NEET.

I look forward to reading it one day.
>>
Was anyone else horrendously depressed by Tu?
>science "whiz"
>got a B+
>always wanted to be a teacher
>teaches holograms in Amazonia
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.