[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you realised that picrelated is the ultimate pleb filter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Fiction-QA-Don-DeLillo-859.jpg (143KB, 859x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Fiction-QA-Don-DeLillo-859.jpg
143KB, 859x1200px
Have you realised that picrelated is the ultimate pleb filter and if you don't worship his works then you know nothing?

Have you noticed all the high IQers loving him?
>>
>>8580437
Ultimate Pleb Filter is George Eliot
she kills the traditionalists and the modernist pseuds in one book.
>>
I'm a lot smarter than you and I find Donny D pretty underwhelming. I've read a few of his books and it's like I'm trapped in a terrible universe where Thomas Pynchon let Ernest Hemingway influence him too much. Of all the major American postmodern novelists Don Delillo is milquetoast and I find him useful for filtering pseuds like OP.
>>
>>8580437
I've never heard of this guy, so he can't be that big of a deal.

>>8580447
Silar Marner was the only thing she wrote worth reading, and it isn't that special.

>>8580449
Well said.
>>
>>8580437
Mao II is Goat
>>
>>8580449
>milquetoast
kek
>>
>>8580437
He's ok but worshipping him is a bit much.
>>
I read about 100 pages of Underworld and was underwhelmed. In my mind, it was a tome similar to Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow and Gaddis's The Recognitions -- it fucking wasn't. I'm going to try it again, since obviously I want to enjoy authors, but the prose struck me as convoluted and banal.
>>
>>8580485
>it was a tome
it was supposed to be a tome
>>
The ultimate pleb filter is Wordsworth.
>>
>>8580437
Delillo for president.
>>8580449
Delillo uses deceptive simplicity so that the key to the structures of his novels pass over the plebs heads.

He perfectly "evades" Pynchon's influence, in this way.

Postmodernism isn't really useful for speaking of literature or philosophy. It's a tag that lets the over-generalizations of meme-academics speak for works they don't understand, imitated by people who are equally clueless (DFW, Zadie Smith, Eggers etc).
>>
>>8580437
yeah dawkins is based
>>
>>8580485

He is best if read in order. His first book or two are kinda slogs, but they are relatively short slogs, and having read him in order, you will get more out of his later books. (Though, desu, I think he peaked in the 70's.)
>>
>>8581794
Not that guy, but I only read White Noise and it was really fun. I'm thinking of picking up Mao II next. Any others you'd recommend?
>>
>>8580449
>it's like I'm trapped in a terrible universe where Thomas Pynchon let Ernest Hemingway influence him too much
Best description of DeLillo I've read, desu.
>>
>>8580449
That sounds great desu.
>>
>>8581801

As a long answer, I pulled this list out of my ass. It might be different if you asked me next year, I'm kind of surprised there weren't more 70's books in the top 5.

1. Great Jones Street (1973)
2. Underworld (1997)
3. Libra (1988)
4. White Noise (1985)
5. Players (1977)
6. Running Dog (1978)
7. Cosmopolis (2003)
8. End Zone (1972)
9. Ratner's Star (1976)
10. Falling Man (2007)
11. Mao II (1991)
12. Point Omega (2010)
13. The Angel Esmeralda (2011)
14. Americana (1971)
15. Zero K (2016)
17. Amazons (written as Cleo Birdwell)
18. The Body Artist (2001)
19. The Names (1982)

Shorter answer: White Noise is pretty singular. Nothing else is quite like it, but Libra and Underworld would probably be the closest.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.