[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Sanderson General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 72

File: Edoras.jpg (872KB, 1009x1171px) Image search: [Google]
Edoras.jpg
872KB, 1009x1171px
Maximum Bandwidth Usage - Bankrupt Hiroshima Nagasaki Edition

>Fantasy
>Selected: http://i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg/
>General: http://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
>Flowchart: http://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/
>Science Fiction
>Selected: http://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
>http://imgur.com/a/90laS
>General: http://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ >http://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Previous Thread: >>8555870

Reminder that The Bard Quarterly from /tg/ is looking for short stories.
>http://thebardquarterly.wixsite.com/home
Anyone submitted a story yet?
>>
File: Viy9deGlfc.png (1MB, 920x1417px) Image search: [Google]
Viy9deGlfc.png
1MB, 920x1417px
>>8579022
Is Donkey fucker actually the bard scam anon?

They pay you (so they own it, and have the rights to your stories), if one is a hit, they sell it to the Hollywood writers guild for a couple hundred thousand dollars, you, the person who wrote the story, gets like a buck fifty.

Also it's October. I was promised blood mirror.
Where is arc anon?
>>
>>8579022
Hello,the rest of /lit/ seems to be about philosophy and history, so I figure this is the thread to ask, instead of starting a new thread.

I've been recently replaying XCOM and I wanted to know what genre of sci-fi should I search for, to find books with similar themes: alien invasion, humanity fighting back, preferably not space fights but ground fighting/guerrila warfare. HFY not necessary but appreciated.

Also looking for recs on books like that. Whatever are the classics and what's good from newer authors.

Thank you.
>>
>>8579261

>They pay you (so they own it, and have the rights to your stories)

From The Bard Quarterly #000:

>All rights for work contained within reside with the author attributed with the creation of the work.

I'm no lawyer so maybe that doesn't hold water but it sure looks like it's meant to carry liquids.

Also no, I'm not related to the Bard or /tg/. I'm considering whipping something together to have rejected, though. Sounds like fun.
>>
>>8579268

Military scifi is the subgenre you're looking for. "Starship Troopers" by Heinlein would be a classic example.
>>
File: rCMFpCf.jpg (834KB, 2712x2829px) Image search: [Google]
rCMFpCf.jpg
834KB, 2712x2829px
Recommend me some scifi!

here's what I've recently read:

Dune - liked it, about to finish 2nd one now though its kind of weak and i doubt if i'll continue.

Gateway - fucking loved it, but after reading 2 of the sequels it turned kinda boring

Neuromancer - loved it

Snow Crash - boring and edgy piece of shit

Ender's Game - fun

What should I read next? Would love something similar to Gateway.
>>
>>8579268
As for good sci-fi that vaguely fits the criteria: It's Chinese, so it's different, but I recommend "The Three Body Problem" and the sequels. The book deals with fighting off an alien invasion, but the aliens are several light years away and won't be here for a few centuries, and shows humanity realizing the threat and trying to muster against a ruthless and unimaginably advanced foe. Despite that, the book felt tense when it wasn't contemplative.
There is no soldier main character who kills aliens with laser rifles or anything like that, but the book tries to show a more realistic confrontation between two species alien to each other. There are books where the aliens are just humans with masks and descend to earth in space-choppers and use future-rifles and other shit, but would that really be interesting? Why not read some real sci-fi?

You can also try to read the classic alien invasion book "The War of the Worlds" by HG Welles.
Or "Starship Troopers" as the other guy said. Or whatever you want.
>>
>>8579312
Altered Carbon for Scifi Noir
Blindsight for deep and existential thoughts
Expanse for popcorn entertainment
>>
File: image.jpg (49KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 333x500px
This is arriving in the mail today.

Anyone read it? What did you think?
>>
File: revelation space fan art.jpg (274KB, 822x1023px) Image search: [Google]
revelation space fan art.jpg
274KB, 822x1023px
>>8579312
Revelation Space
>>
>>8579332
>>8579350
Ill check those, thank you anons
>>
Bought Moorcock's The Prince in Scarlet Robe trilogy a while ago, good entry into his novels or should I start somewhere else?
>>
>>8579261
The kindle version was coming out 27th, last time I checked.
>>
What the hell?

Ettmetal? That trell metal?
How the fuck did nobody know about Ettmetal? What's that lithium? This is just weird he keeps making up new metals and isn't it fucking up the muh 16 golden rule
>>
File: lathe of heaven.jpg (226KB, 736x1224px) Image search: [Google]
lathe of heaven.jpg
226KB, 736x1224px
This is often compared to PKD's books which is why I read it this weekend. A man is troubled by his dreams, which have the power to change the world retroactively; he goes to an oneirologist who begins to manipulate things in his favour, and build a utopia.

Le Guin's prose is less clunky and more poetic than most SF writers, as well as philosophical, with references to Heraclitus and Taoism here and there. She has a good eye for extended metaphors: the wave-flung jellyfish, the wholeness and non-committal block of uncarved wood, the creek whose waters resound like the cries of many children. There are a number of passages which are worth rereading and thinking about.

I was left with the overall impression that I enjoyed thinking about the book more than actually reading it. This is more of a fable than a thriller.

What I want to know is, how does Lathe Of Heaven compare to her other books?
>>
File: well ok.png (718KB, 1752x1516px) Image search: [Google]
well ok.png
718KB, 1752x1516px
>>8579312
If you enjoyed the military aspects of Ender's Game, then try Tau Zero it's got the same shit

See my chart, we're read some similar stuff
>>
>>8579350
Reynolds is usually pretty decent but the dude can't write people to save his life. Shame, because the science bits are pretty good.
>>
>>8579268
Off the top of my head, for ground-combat focused stuff:

The Old Man's War series by John Scalzi.

Blackcollars by Timothy Zahn is a short series about a team of enhanced human ninjas vs aliens that conquered humanity in a war. It's pretty good, though kinda corny.

A few of the Hammer's Slammers stories have the Slammers squaring off against alien forces. (It's really good military scifi and worth reading anyways)

The Lazarus War series by Jamie Sawyer is about human soldiers using remote controlled clone bodies in a war against a creepy alien race that uses biotech. It's got a bit of a Aliens vibe to it.

The IX by Andrew Weston is about groups of humans (Lost Roman legion, Indians and American cavalry, SAS commandos and some terrorists) getting abducted by a dying alien race to fight demons.

Valor's Choice by Tanya Huff is a pretty good Marines vs aliens story.
>>
>>8579268
Those aren't themes
>>
File: chronicles-conan-howard.jpg (54KB, 265x400px) Image search: [Google]
chronicles-conan-howard.jpg
54KB, 265x400px
Just got pic related

What am I in for /lit/?
>>
>>8579312
>Dune - liked it, about to finish 2nd one now though its kind of weak and i doubt if i'll continue.
>its kind of weak
Shit taste confirmed.
>>
>>8579898
Cool pulp. Nothing more, nothing less. Also, niggers.
>>
>>8579898
Fun. Ignore the movie depictions, Conan as a character has a lot of depth and gets quite philosophical.

SJWs would complain about the 'damsel in distress' or racism against 'evil black people', but if you ignore any far-fetched interpretations like that you're in for a hell of a ride.
>>
>>8579913
Not liking Dune is in itself very understandable, but the shit taste comes from loving Neuromancer while calling Snow Crash edgy, when in fact both are equally shitty for exactly the same reasons,
>>
>>8579913
perhaps. but still its just people standing and talking and plotting. what did you like about it?
>>
>>8579913
Shadow of the Torturer has some nice prose but Severian and the plot itself is pretty bland so far.
>>
>>8579950
That's usually what most literature is about, people standing and talking.
>>
>>8579954
It's not gonna get any better.
>>
>>8579945
the main guy is a pizza delivery hacker who wields a katana... can it get any edgier than that? perhaps though if he wore some makeup on top of that...
>>
>>8579954
Sev is one of the most exquisite characters in all fantastical lit. There's more to him than to any other character I can think of if we keep it only to sff. The reason he appears bland is because it is a memoir. Have you ever read a memoir? Because they are like that. Ernest Junger is a very interesting person, but you need to pay attention to certain things to get to it due to the form, it's like that with Sev, but probably more pronounced since his detachment is a part of his character.
>>
>>8579962
Well Neuromancer is basically like that, but without the comedic undertone SC can have as an excuse.
>>8579960
That's true, it's brilliant since the start.
>>
>>8579950
>doesn't like people talking and plotting
That is literally a fundamental aspect of the Dune series as a whole you nigger.
Dune Messiah just has the best balance out of all the books. The other factions are strong and intelligent (if you didn't love Scytale you are most likely literally a plebeian), we are shown the downsides of Prophecy and the ending is possibly the most tense ending out of all 6 books.
>>
I want a fantasy novel or series that (1) doesn't have a main antagonist, (2) has a sense of adventure, and (3) is not too serious/is funny but not in a Terry Pratchett reddit-tier kind of way.. Rec me something?
>>
Is suffering necessary to write good literature?
>>
>>8579756
>John Scalzi

no numales allowed
>>
>>8580411
To elaborate on (2), by "sense of adventure" I especially mean a picaresque feel
>>
>>8579543
You know putting things in spoilers is useless when you don't indicate what you're spoiling, right?
>>
>>8580458

Are you man enough to reveal the spoilers?
>>
File: Cugel's Saga - Jack Vance.jpg (31KB, 308x504px) Image search: [Google]
Cugel's Saga - Jack Vance.jpg
31KB, 308x504px
>>8580411

"The Eyes of the Overworld" and "Cugel's Saga" by Jack Vance. Technically there is a main antagonist but it's merely a device to have the plot run full circle--he is only encountered at the beginning and end of the novels.
>>
>>8580413
Dunno. Why are you asking about literature in the genre fiction contaimnent thread?
>>
>>8580502
Apparently those are issues 2 and 3 of a tetralogy. Shouldn't I read the first?
>>
>>8580529

They aren't. They are separate novels. Vance's Dying Earth stories have been packaged up over the years into numerous editions and so the Cugel books get lumped in with those because hey, Dying Earth setting.

The other Dying Earth stories are okay if you already like Vance but the Cugel books are in another class and category and suit your request nearly to a T. If you have an omnibus version, then read those two parts of it and see what you think.
>>
>>8580411
>not too serious/is funny but not in a Terry Pratchett reddit-tier kind of way

>Rec me something?
suicide
>>
File: IMG_20160927_202541.jpg (91KB, 666x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160927_202541.jpg
91KB, 666x600px
comment on picrelated
>>
>>8579927
>or racism against 'evil black people'

Oh please. Unlike Lovecraft, Howard just shoves the racism in, instead of creating a narrative about the creeping terror of Irish immigration.
>>
What does a fantasy short story even look like? Link me some good ones pls.
>>
>>8580624

Boring and ends too fast, don't bother
>>
>be behind in my gen ed SFF-focused lit class
>trying to finish previous book out of pride even though I'm over a week late, probably gonna have to skip the next one and wing it
>it's fucking Parable of the Sower
>everything went better than expected

>>8580431
Vox Day pls.
>>
File: out-dark.jpg (145KB, 1042x710px) Image search: [Google]
out-dark.jpg
145KB, 1042x710px
>>8579268
Try pic related
>>
File: Barney Dino Squad.jpg (745KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Barney Dino Squad.jpg
745KB, 1920x1200px
>>8579898
Pure bliss and enjoyment.
>>
>>8579022
I got published in the first issue of the Bard (I wrote the story, "The Mansion") and I just submitted a story for Issue #001.

Highly recommended, the magazine is great and I got $12 for the story which is at least something.
>>
>>8580624
Check out the first Witcher book. It's a collection of short stories about:
The story with the Striga from the opening movie in the first game.
Geralt gets in a fight with some elves who mock Dandelion's musical abilities.
Geralt getting drunk with guy who got turned into a monster.
Dandelion getting attacked by a djinn.
>>
File: alloy_map_1_world-webres.png (272KB, 795x1200px) Image search: [Google]
alloy_map_1_world-webres.png
272KB, 795x1200px
>>8579312
Revelation Space
Xeelee Sequence
The Last Legends of Earth
>>
>>8580842
>mom I'm fucking crazy
>>
>>8581006
Is there a recommended reading order to the Xeelee sequence? If so, what is it? If not, what's the strongest one and I'll start with that
>>
>>8580934
Also:
>a inn explodes around Geralt and Yennifer, then they have sex in the ruins
>>
File: Absolute Madman.jpg (113KB, 680x989px) Image search: [Google]
Absolute Madman.jpg
113KB, 680x989px
>>8580842
>imma post straight edge barney again
The absolute madman
>>
Been listening to the Mither Mage trilogy and have four hours left on the last book and I can't believe how much talking and not-fighting is taking place. Such a disappointment.
>>
>>8581333
Theres a guide on stephenbaxter.com I think. Vacuum Diagrams is a pretty good general introduction.
>>
>>8579543

To add to this, Kelsier wasn't a feruchemist so wtf happened at the end of bands of mourning?
>>
File: TDTCB.jpg (49KB, 337x500px) Image search: [Google]
TDTCB.jpg
49KB, 337x500px
Is there anyone in this series who doesn't get cucked ?
>>
>>8580624
Sandkings - GRRM
Come, Lady Death - Peter S. Beagle
We Can Get Them For You Wholesale - Gaiman
>>
>>8579341
I did. It was decent, not great. It kind of reminded me of an overly sincere Starship Troopers. Sequels are awful, though.
>>
>>8580413
We all suffer to some extent. It's as necessary to good writing as being alive. If you're asking if there's some suffering quotient which will improve your writing then the answer is no. Your pain is valid, no matter how minute. Use it.
>>
>>8581558
Scott, pls go.
>>
>>8579261
>They pay you (so they own it, and have the rights to your stories), if one is a hit, they sell it to the Hollywood writers guild for a couple hundred thousand dollars, you, the person who wrote the story, gets like a buck fifty.

As stipulated on the website, in the paragraph of legalese authors include with their manuscript, and on the inside cover of the magazine, the only thing we're buying is exclusive publication rights for twelve months. All story rights reside, either immediately or eventually, with the author.

>>8579285
>rejected
Even if you're rejected you get constructive criticism from two to three slush readers, and maybe even the editor as well. You have nothing to lose, and everything to gain.
>>
File: sins.jpg (75KB, 640x440px) Image search: [Google]
sins.jpg
75KB, 640x440px
>>8580413
you have to sacrifice something of yourself in order to create something special. this sacrifice inevitably causes suffering.
>>
>>8579268
You could try the Delta Green series. They're not great books, I don't think anyone would accuse the writer of being a literary genius, but they're earnest and fun. They follow the operations of a fictional organization known as 'Delta Green', which conducts clandestine operations against otherworldly forces. It's kind of like the X-files, but replace the FBI with a shadowy paramilitary group, and Mulder and Scully with mooks who often die like bitches.
>>
File: alloy_map_2_elendel_color-webres.jpg (526KB, 1589x1200px) Image search: [Google]
alloy_map_2_elendel_color-webres.jpg
526KB, 1589x1200px
>>8581333
Personally, I read Vacuum Diagrams -> Timelike Infinity -> Ring. I didn't bother with Raft or Flux as I didn't care about their respective stories but you're more than welcome to read them if you're into them.
>>
>>8581893
No seriously, i thought that sorweel might be cool, but then he is cought masturbating to his godlike gf getting pounded by her brother.
This is some advanced cucking
>>
>>8580413
Nope, that's just magical thinking.
>>
>>8581997

Could you respond to >>8581549
>>
>>8580879
Alright Desmond
>>
>>8580411
Where's the TBG guy when you need him?
>>
File: alloy_symbols.jpg (167KB, 655x562px) Image search: [Google]
alloy_symbols.jpg
167KB, 655x562px
>>8582262
What do you want to know exactly? Phrase your questions more specifically?
>>
>>8582562
Scratch that second question mark. Should have been a period. Oh well.
>>
File: 1812.jpg (167KB, 620x946px) Image search: [Google]
1812.jpg
167KB, 620x946px
This book is just Jemisin's "The Broken Kingdoms" with less sex and cannibalism.

in b4

>reading YA
>reading "totally radical dude!" Riordan in particular
>reading Jemisin
>>
File: flottfjell.jpg (315KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
flottfjell.jpg
315KB, 1366x768px
>>8580001
Oh great, people talking about Dune. I recently finished Children of Dune, and....
SOME SPOILERS SOME SPOILERS
SOME SPOILERS SOME SPOILERS
What's so good about the 2nd one? It was nice, but I didn't get all of it. Scytale, Bijaz, re-introducing Idaho was all very enjoyable, but I don't really get everything Frankie's preaching at with some of the epigraphs,expository dialogue and character thought. Some of it goes over my head and demands being re-read with me wondering if it's all just superfluous bogus. And if it is, is it intentional? Does Frank sometimes intend to bewilder you just to demonstrate how far removed from our own lives these people are? Am I missing some important subtext or cryptic meaning that actually answers why the jihad had to happen, why Paul first resented the idea, then came to accept it because it prevented a much worse course for human society and would lead to a better one? Or did his prescience make him understand fully that there was no way back, he had fulfilled the prophecy and would never be able to undeify himself in beholding of the Fremen, so he exercised basic damage control while trying to use prescience to somehow alter it?

Then there was Children of Dune. The hell was up with that "vision battle" with The Preacher? What allowed lil L to start the metamorphosis? Why was it so hard to not end up possessed?

And a whole bunch of other convoluted stuff. How do you guys tie it all together? It gets quite messy in CoD. Still, I liked it. It was absolutely enthralling, in fact. Will read the rest of the books, too. Despite the stimulating, yet brittle, sometimes silly prose. Despite the engrossing, yet strangely, sometimes poorly formulated plot.

World building is sparse. Character development? I'll be honest. How to even judge them? I can't relate to any of them, or even fully understand them, the way they're presented. To me, this isn't a bad thing. It's what I love about these books.

So yeah, I dunno. The books are weird and of dubious literary merit by traditional standards(that doesn't matter, btw). But oh boy, they're evocative, grand, inspiring, insightful, creative and original, if not in all ways. Talk about Dune, faggots.
>>
>>8582741
You realize 4chan has spoiler tags?
>>
Any good alt-history books?

Lesbian afrikaner Nietzsches need not apply
>>
I'm looking for some recommendations now. I've read:

- Gentleman Bastards (loved them)
- Kingkiller Chronicle (it was good)
- Stormlight Archive (fucking amazing)
- Mistborn (okay)
- Riyria (excellent)

Where can I go from here?
>>
>>8582782
>>8582780
The Buried Giant
>>
>>8582780
The Iron Dream
Bring the Jubilee
Wouldn't actualy recommend Man in the High Castle, I found it pretty bland

>>8582827
Why do you keep doing this? It's a solid book, but spamming it for every question is just going to turn people off...
>>
>>8582562

The ending of the book spoke to coppermind made by Kelsier, but he wasn't a feruchemist, so what happened there?
>>
Just finished Asimov's Nightfall.
How did something so bad get so much praise?
>>
>>8582855
Probably to deter all the "What should I read next?" questions. And it's not going to work.
>>
>>8582827
You missed >>8580411.
Such negligence will not be tolerated.
>>
>>8583023
The answer is it's not that bad and not that praised.

(You)
>>
>>8582855
This is the first time it was mentioned in the thread, and it is a fitting answer to the questions.
>>8583086
Point 3 disqualifies it, I'd say.
>>
>>8582782
You still have the option to read Warbreaker, or even Elantris.
I recently read The Shadow of the Torturer and found it interesting. Maybe try that
>>
>>8582782
>- Kingkiller Chronicle (it was good)
???????

You can go to Malazan
>>
What do I think about Sabriel?
Do I think she's a powerful necromancer?
Do I want to know what happened to her father?
Do I want to know why magic seems to be weaker outside that city?
Am I liking the book so far?
>>
File: 011.png (181KB, 580x297px) Image search: [Google]
011.png
181KB, 580x297px
>>8582782
>Riyria (excellent)
>>
File: Yes I mad.jpg (68KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Yes I mad.jpg
68KB, 900x900px
>>8582688
>reading riordan
He is shit now desu, he lost me as a reader when he made Nico a fagget(was going before that, but that drove the nail in the coffin)

I read the first Norse book to see what's what. It's a carbon copy of percy jackson/heroes of Olympus.

Hell I didn't even finish the last roman book because of how cringy the fourth book made me feel, and I heard the god of fags is in it.

I don't care about fag shit(i help start the gri meme, and fap to tomgirls on sadpanda) but when it's forced i have a problem.
That nico shit was out of no where(i guess if I'm depressed because my sister died, and the guy I looked up to didn't save her, I guess that makes me a faggot), and I hate authors who pander to the vocal minority of their readers.
>>
File: Modern Fantasy Recs V2.jpg (2MB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Modern Fantasy Recs V2.jpg
2MB, 2000x3000px
>>8582782
>>
File: Autism Chart.jpg (123KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Autism Chart.jpg
123KB, 640x640px
>>8583714
Brah you need help.
>>
File: sos_broadsheet.jpg (1MB, 1530x2128px) Image search: [Google]
sos_broadsheet.jpg
1MB, 1530x2128px
>>8582918
Been a minute since I finished Mourning or read the slew of subsequent theories and Q&As/etc. Kelsier could be who knows what now, especially since he's got the one eye spike so he could have Feruchemical elements.
>>
>>8583798

That spoiler

What the fuck? Didn't he pass on after Harmony took hold?
>>
File: tbom_broadsheet.jpg (1MB, 1530x2128px) Image search: [Google]
tbom_broadsheet.jpg
1MB, 1530x2128px
>>8583807
He never ever fully died to begin with. Not even new news, desu.

You can probably find more information on his coppermind page.
>>
>>8583817

But he did die, he was a ghost when Ruin was freed, he observed everything and I think he even talked to Vin and that beta fuck when they died, what the fuck am I missing something? When did he get the spike? Did he actually get resurrected?
>>
File: alloy_map_2_elendel_gray-webres.jpg (530KB, 1589x1200px) Image search: [Google]
alloy_map_2_elendel_gray-webres.jpg
530KB, 1589x1200px
>>8583817
Oh christ I forgot about the wordfilters and now I sound like a huge flaming newfag.
Woe is me.
>>
>>8583797

What ever do you mean?
>>
File: mb03_fadrex-webres.jpg (337KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
mb03_fadrex-webres.jpg
337KB, 800x1200px
>>8583829
>those last two questions
Those are the questions that we don't have actual answers to as of yet.

One theory is that he may be a member of the Seventeenth Shard since he's Cosmere-aware and wanted to become more involved in the overall events, although as to how he was 'fully resurrected', we don't know.
>>
Jack Vance Treasury is a strange mix of stories. His science fantasy is amazing, but his hard science fiction is mediocre and the choices are hence very contrasted.
But the hard sf is boring mostly because hard science fiction cannot help itself in being boring.
Dragon Masters and The Miracle Workers, Lyane the Wayfarer, Guyal of Sphere are great, the prose is fluid and creates a haunting atmosphere while keeping it brisk, the ideas bring you for a captivating ride and the characters are for the most part perfectly hitting the notes that myths usually do.
I'm halfway through and I hope for a few more great stories.
>>
Any decent book where the main character is an AI humanoid?
>>
>>8584000
Chappie, Johnny 5
>>
File: we yaoi now.jpg (24KB, 599x217px) Image search: [Google]
we yaoi now.jpg
24KB, 599x217px
What did Sanderson mean by this?
>>
File: 18047306.jpg (166KB, 297x475px) Image search: [Google]
18047306.jpg
166KB, 297x475px
Fuck the fsgget who suggested this. It is literal anime, and I mean LITERAL.
>>
>>8580611
no one?
>>
File: gallery_9620_6_31071.jpg (153KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
gallery_9620_6_31071.jpg
153KB, 1200x1200px
>>8584163
He means that mr stormrider is happy, and he will get some puzzy next book.
>>
>>8584165
You plebs don't judge the books based on their covers and hence cannot instantly recognize anime.
>>
>>8580611
>>8584173
Why should we? Say what you want and we will reply.
>>
>>8584180
>judging books by the cover
>2016
The blurb/ review he wrote enticed me to read it. But holy hell the anime. Also no GRI APPROVED
>>
>>8583865

Be sure to report back afterwards, please. I'm interested to see which stories you find worthwhile.
>>
>>8584163
Pandering already huh. Damn that's pathetic
>>
I have tried reading Stephenson's Baroque Cycle and Cryptonomicon but ended up getting bored with both around halfway through the books and have yet to tackle them again.

Would it be advisable to look into reading Seveneves or is it more of the same from Stephenson? The concept intrigues me, which is why I'm asking.
>>
>>8584186
I just want to talk about it. Overall it felt pretty tame and the characters in the book were never under severe duress or danger really.

To me the best part was exploring the deserted planets in the system of the seven suns. The mad mind and vanamonde seemed weird and the fact that the other races just left was pretty anticlimactic.
>>
>>8584483
Did the concept of the other books intrigue you? If yes, no. If no, yes.
>>
>>8584517
They intrigued me enough to start reading them but I ended up getting bored and was kind of lost because I wasn't paying attention, which was because of the boringness.
>>
>>8584445
>Needing to pander when you're reddit's top fantasy author of the decade
>>
>>8584584
>Needing to pander when you're reddit's top fantasy author of the decade
Don't worry you will join reddit just now when Hiro nukes /lit/.
>>
File: 17554595.jpg (63KB, 317x475px) Image search: [Google]
17554595.jpg
63KB, 317x475px
Has anyone read this yet? It's being shilled everywhere
>>
>>8584719
whats it about
>>
File: magnus1.png (324KB, 3186x1690px) Image search: [Google]
magnus1.png
324KB, 3186x1690px
>>8583783
I like Riordan, but he's gone full Tumblr.
>>
File: magnus2.png (300KB, 2195x1688px) Image search: [Google]
magnus2.png
300KB, 2195x1688px
>>8584743
>>
>>8584176
I've only read Way of Kings, does Kaladin fuck the spren?
>>
>>8584871
>Fucking your stand
>>
>>8584884
>THIS AIN'T JOJO XXX
>it's just a regular jojo episode but with gay pornstars as the actors
>>
>>8584620

8-chan would be my choice.

My guess is that Hiro is milking /v/ and /b/ for their allowances before selling it off to some adfarm.
>>
>>8584743
>>8584752
That's got to be a shop... you edited it right....
>>
File: deadhouse-gates.jpg (36KB, 372x600px) Image search: [Google]
deadhouse-gates.jpg
36KB, 372x600px
>ywn follow Coltaine to your death
>>
>>8585008
That's good because you become enslaved afterwards
>>
How do you insert diversity in your book without it coming off badly?
>>
>>8585074
By not calling overt attention to it. I've read quite a few books with non-white main characters it never felt forced. The main problem is when authors try to do forced allegories to real world issues, it just comes off as so heavy handed.
>>
>>8585083
This.
I read books where I didn't know that main character was black until near the end.
>>
If Hyperion gets about two or three more votes in the 2016 top 100 poll, it will likely make it into the final chart.
Book of the New Sun is probably in already, from the look of things. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is probably also in.

Get out there and rep some /sff/!
>>
>>8585126
I actually love it when this happens. Or when a character has no racially-identifying description at all, but you realize through subtle circumstantial cues that they are probably black.
>>
>>8584743
>>8584752
I mean... that's not actually wrong, as such, but it's really weird to introduce this whole character to a book about Norse mythology when you could just use Loki, who in the original Eddas was known for sometimes being a woman (or horse, or whatever he felt like).
>>
>>8585131
That would be a good outcome for the SF contingent, bearing in mind stuff like Frankenstein, 1984, Brave New World, Slaughterhouse 5 and Fahrenheit 451 are SF as well.

I would have voted Roadside Picnic but I only read it recently. However, the more time has passed, the more appreciative I feel of it, as a unique, subtle, and evocative work, something that is literary as well as having popular appeal.

Non-fic should have been separated.
>>
>>8585074
By not pointing it out at every possible moment and throwing in half assed allegories to real world situations.

Though I wouldn't mind high fantasy race protests turning into riots
>>
>>8585171
Alex is one of Loki's kids, and Loki is mostly a man but sometimes a woman in these books, too.

Not that it redeems the overall mediocrity of the Norse series.
>>
>>8585193
Roadside Picnic does already have two votes. I suspect four or five votes will be enough to assure placement in the final ranking, so it would be "worth it" as far as votes go to spend one on that.
>>
>>8585008
Man, Felisin was what cemented my love for Malazan. I hated her as a character. She was well written, fleshed out and had realistic flaws. Erikson managed to portray a character that felt real. Her actions in context make sense.

I just hated her. Wanted to punch her every time she was in a scene (after a certain point in that story). And I think that's just a testament to how well written she was.
>>
File: 1474019713651.png (652KB, 1278x1842px) Image search: [Google]
1474019713651.png
652KB, 1278x1842px
>There was even the suggestion—taken more seriously than it deserved—that the guardsman had been the secret lover of a noble lady at court, and the dragon had slaughtered him as a sign of favor to the cuckolded husband.
>>
>>8585126

Do people actually follow the exact descriptions when imagining the characters?
>>
>>8585867
What do you mean, 'exact descriptions'? There's only so exact they can get. Rough hairstyle, hair color, eye color, beard/makeup, maybe jawline and fat or gauntness.
Picturing the face is still part of my experience, I just incorporate the author's guidelines.

Do you pick a different hair color or what?
>>
File: 1472578743532.png (2MB, 1030x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1472578743532.png
2MB, 1030x1000px
I love how Abraham characterises.
>>
>>8585882

They are more like abstract figures doing stuff, sometimes they have distinct shapes
>>
>>8585867
Yeah usually, though most authors don't go into detail too much so the reader can make up his own image of the character. The descriptions are just supposed to be helpers.

There are of course authors who go into full detail about every nuance of the character and other authors who don't describe the character at all.
>>
File: 1466985512237.gif (579KB, 351x291px) Image search: [Google]
1466985512237.gif
579KB, 351x291px
>>8584743
>Call me she? I'm gender fluid and transgender, idiot.
>>
>>8585889
>reading Abraham
>2016
>economic fantasy
>no/to little magic when promised (how the book was set up) lots of magic
That fucker wasted my time.
>>
>>8586093
I liked it, it was different from the usual fare. A little more historical fiction in my fantasy but not utterly devoid of magic.
>>
>>8586111
>but not utterly devoid of magic.
Oh? You mean the only part where there is magic, when the orc was throwing sparks in the air at the end of the book?

It's shit, I read out the price quartet, and start dagger and coin. Saw it was the exact same shit, only economic intrigue instead of political, and they left Asia.

Not gonna sucker me into that shit again.
>>
>>8586137
Sounds to me like you just enjoy flashy battles and dislike complex setups with lots of politics/economics.

It's ok, there are plenty of books with lots of flashy battles and cool fights out there.
>>
File: 1472163802070.png (88KB, 219x298px) Image search: [Google]
1472163802070.png
88KB, 219x298px
>>8586137
>>8586093
>he wants magic in his fantasy
>>
>>8586175
Abraham isn't even half as conservative about the use of magic as Guy Gavriel Kay is.The Lions of Al-Rassan in the OP is practically a pure historical.
>>
>>8579022
New to /lit/ here
Cam someone explain to me why The Buried Giant is on the recommended fantasy list? I got nothing out of it. What did I miss?
>>
>>8586205

You should read Bakker and Wolfe instead
>>
>>8585662
Yeah. A lot of people don't empathize with her enough either. The shit she went through at such a young age will change anyone for the worst. She lashed out at her companions even though they were saving her life. Wishing death upon her saviors. She acted in a way that, while reprehensible, still made a lot of sense considering her travails.

>I lost her! Oh, Ganoes, I lost her!

:'(
>>
What's the best Guy Gavriel Kay book?
>>
>>8586370
Lions of Al Rassan
>>
>>8586370
I really enjoyed Under Heaven, but you kind of need to be in the right mood for that. Do you enjoy poetry? Like the idea of a somewhat whimsical, fantastical and mythical Asian country? If so give it a shot.
The pacing was kind of fucked in the end, but I don't think it hurt the story too much.
>>
>>8586162
>magic is only good for battle
I'm getting fed up of political intrigue desu, used to be fun, but now everyone is overthrowing the monarchy for a democracy.
Books that didn't even start like that are ending like that. Can't you do something different?

Hell, have a book where angels rule a society and everyone is content, but some evil overthrow the angels and throws the society into hedonism and degeneracy. Or have aliens come to earth overthrow a democracy and turn it i to a monarchy.

At least that's a different take on it.

Fed up of authors preaching Americlap freedums in their books.
>>
>>8586187
You haven't read tigana I see.
>>
File: Sffg memes.jpg (1MB, 2544x1900px) Image search: [Google]
Sffg memes.jpg
1MB, 2544x1900px
>>8586205
It should be placed on this list, along with little girl protagonists
>>
>>8586392
Sounds interesting, I'll definitely look into it. I've only read Tigana so far and I loved it.
>>
Book is fine. Sequels are very run-of-the-mill but decent, too.
>>
some of my recent sff reads and how much I enjoyed them
any recs?

>Great:
Fall of Hyperion
The Dark Forest
A Canticle for Leibowitz
Before They are Hanged

>Good:
The Three-Body Problem
Hyperion
VALIS
Raven's Shadow

>Meh:
Endymion
Name of the Wind
Tower Lord
American Gods

Shit:
Rise of Endymion
Wise Man's Fear
Leviathan Wakes
>>
>>8587336
>Fall of Hyperion
Mmm my nigga it's great+ I'd personally place it in the "excellent" category

>The Three-Body Problem
Definitely not good, it's meh at best. What sections did you enjoy?

>Hyperion
It's not as good as Fall of but without it the sequel couldn't get off the ground. I would treat both as one overall unit.

>Endymion
>Rise of Endymion
BOTH SHIT SIMMONS YOU'RE FIRED
>>
>>8587336
∟↨↔>>8583791
>>
>>8584743
Jesus Christ, please tell me that's an edit
>>
>>8587345
I thought Hyperion was massively superior to any of its sequels and better off without them. Once they started explaining what the shrek was the resonance collapsed and it was over.

>>8587336
Why is Leviathan Wakes shit tier? If you don't like it you don't like it, but it didn't pose as something it wasn't. It didn't betray you.
>>
>>8587336
Dying Earth stories by Jack Vance
Fifth Head of Cerberus and Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe
Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser by Fritz Leiber
Gormenghast trilogy by Marvyn Peake
Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula le Guin
The Once And Future King by T H White
Man Who was Thursday by G K Chesterton

These are the cream of sff imo, each doing what it set out to do almost flawlessly.
>>
>>8587591
If what they set out to do is being shit then yeah I agree.
>>
File: 1474128446031.jpg (283KB, 1080x1599px) Image search: [Google]
1474128446031.jpg
283KB, 1080x1599px
>>8587591
>Gormenghast
>>
>>8587618
You do understand that it's 40 years younger than the oldest on the list? Of course you don't, because you read only trash fantasy and know of all of these only because of this thread.
>>
>>8587631
that was the only edit i saved from your list
I don't have the dinosaur edit.
>>
>>8582057
Read the next book

Sorwheel has the best arc
>>
>>8586444
I have, it was great.
>>
>>8584752
>I hoped Heimdall wasn't recording the conversation to put on Vine.
>>
>>8587961
How can you pander this hard *after* you've been a success ? Is he mad about his movie failing ?
>>
File: selected soft SF chart.jpg (680KB, 1600x2400px) Image search: [Google]
selected soft SF chart.jpg
680KB, 1600x2400px
Come at me anons. Here is a quick and dirty selected 'soft' SF chart I did.
>>
How is self publishing these days? Does short story collection format work?
>>
>>8588006
I'm going to read Flowers. Sounds interesting.
>>
>>8588038
its a good, short read
sad a f tho
>>
>>8587977
Did they do a part 4 for the movie? I haven't even watched out part 1.
>>
>>8588006
Is your autism finally satisfied? You got a chart with blurbs built in.
>>
>>8588025
self publishing is a hobby. get prepared to spend loadsa money on it. short story collections sell like crap and almost always have. welcome to the internet. enjoy your stay.
>>
>>8588227
I think they dropped it
>>
>>8582782
The Red Knight

>>8583705
Implying KKC is relative to the depth of Malazan
>>
>>8584165
I thought all three books were great.
>>
>>8587547
Anon must have not cropped his reader out so he could prove it wasn't an edit.
>>
File: index.jpg (7KB, 170x297px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
7KB, 170x297px
>>8588006
The Illustrated Man >>>> The Martian Chronicles.
>>
File: image_30.jpg (45KB, 419x604px) Image search: [Google]
image_30.jpg
45KB, 419x604px
>>8585008
I was rekt by DHG. I immediately had empathy for Squints
>>
>>8585662
Same.
>>
>>8584163
What's the Mormon stance on homosexuality?
>>
>>8588328
it seems like every book in that series wrecked me
>>
>>8588305
so you were the fagget who suggested it huh...
>>
>>8588324
Many feels for the Illustrated Man
>>
>>8588360
It's alright to have shit taste. Maybe try some Gene Wolfe.
>>
File: lord-fouls-bane.jpg (895KB, 610x1035px) Image search: [Google]
lord-fouls-bane.jpg
895KB, 610x1035px
Should I bother?
>>
>>8588345
The same as their stance on black people; horrifying yet apt to change with the prevailing political attitudes of America
>>
>tfw no qt mistborn gf
>>
>>8588380
>Maybe try some Gene Wolfe.
I do enjoy wolfe(new sun and fifth head).

>It's alright to have shit taste.
You think your tastes are more refined than mine>>8583791?
>>
>>8588390
No. It's shit, but you won't listen anyways and still read it.
I bet you are that anon that asked if they should read wheel of time, was told no, and read it anyways... and regretted it very dearly.
>>
>>8588296

I didn't imply that
>>
>>8579945
>>8579312
>>8579962
Can anyone explain the dislike of Snow Crash? I'm only about halfway through, and while not particularly deep, I'm finding it pretty hilarious, albeit very silly. That said, I do think it's got enough substance to move towards a compelling ending - does it ultimately not pay off?
>>
>>8588390
really compelling ending and opening with some profound moments spattered in the middle, largely fantasy schlock though. What it does well is vastly overshadowed by how generic the rest of the book is.
>>
>>8588524
It has some underlying allegories that trigger righties.
>>
>>8588524

Is this your first Stevens book?

Don't want to spoil anything for you, but he has a way with endings, it rubs a lot of people the wrong way. Personally I'm a big fan of most of his books.
>>
>>8587560
Not that guy but vomit zombies
>>
>>8588390
Yes, but you must be ready to plunge into a river of fire on the shoulder of your giant buddy
>>
>>8588524
I liked it too. I think people want Stephenson's books to come to a climax they never come to, to make a point he isn't making.

If you've caught his vibe just run with it and have fun. I think that's as much as he asks of a reader
>>
File: 28118539.jpg (26KB, 266x400px) Image search: [Google]
28118539.jpg
26KB, 266x400px
Finished this up the other day.

>space princess runs away from home to do thug stuff with her hoodrat friends
>but oh no there's a conspiracy and she gets dragged back home after her hoodrat friends turn on her because the conspiracy killed everybody else in line for the throne

Was pretty good for a first book, far more on the political intrigue side than the space opera description the publisher gave it (but, amazingly, not totally boring like Daniel Abraham's court politics books) and I guess I'll probably read the sequel.
>>
>>8584165
>It is literal anime, and I mean LITERAL.
That's why it's great. Unsouled is even more anime. And it's good shonen anime, not a tournament arc in sight.
>>
>>8588524
>Can anyone explain the dislike of Snow Crash?
The characters are shallow while also irritating and hence do not even entertain, let alone are good enough to be considered well written and have any resemblance of depth.
The prose is dry and really doesn't do a good job at creating mental images in the reader and is more often than not just clunky, bad and focused on irrelevant things.
It's 500 pages long and those 500 pages have enough substance to make a 150 page long novella.
It's also cringy to read about a katana wielding half Japanese hacker and his teenage sidekick. It's not funny, it's just stupid.
>>
>>8586093
>implying econ fantasy isn't the best kind
>>
>>8582782
You must be new here.

Let me fill you in. If you mention *anything* slightly positive about Rothfuss on this board, you start an inevitable shitstorm.

I don't necessarily agree--he has some serious flaws but I still somewhat enjoyed KKC, but there's no point in trying. It's like a force of nature.

Anyway, with those ones you posted I'd recommend Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks. It reads a lot like Sanderson, only with less repeated explaining of the magic system and marginally better prose.
>>
File: 1475675153397.png (267KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
1475675153397.png
267KB, 420x420px
>>8588718
Any book that has Daniel Abraham in the discussion is shit.
FACT

Fuck you.
>>
File: Blood mirror.jpg (151KB, 490x770px) Image search: [Google]
Blood mirror.jpg
151KB, 490x770px
>Originally published: October 25, 2016

Where the fug is arc anon.
>>
>>8589311
I am pretty new to /lit/ and even though Rothfuss starts shitstorms, I did very much enjoy Name of the Wind. Wise Man's Fear wasn't as good by any means.

I'll definitely look into Lightbringer. Thanks!
>>
File: elantris_map_10yr_color_ebook.jpg (932KB, 2323x1721px) Image search: [Google]
elantris_map_10yr_color_ebook.jpg
932KB, 2323x1721px
>>8589311
KKC gets shit on because it is some of the most abhorrent unadulterated SHIT in fantasy. Please, justify the Gary Stu Chronicles of Kvothe, the twelfth-degree lovemaking pussy slayer 420 who gets everything he wants and how that this turns out to be a decent story.

I'll wait.
>>
>>8589380
It's ironic you say this while posting Sanderson.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1475681509627.jpg (25KB, 545x350px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1475681509627.jpg
25KB, 545x350px
>>8589391
Nice
>>
File: 65.jpg (71KB, 312x470px) Image search: [Google]
65.jpg
71KB, 312x470px
I saw a post on Reddit where everyone said this is the best thing ever. Is it actually any good is it some Name of the Wind tier shit?
>>
>>8589401
Is timberlands coming back into style?

I thought after it was exposed that the kkk owns timberlands they dropped it.
>>
File: 1472897242367.jpg (15KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
1472897242367.jpg
15KB, 306x306px
>delta v
>>
>>8589529
I told your ass not to read seveneves, but did you listen? No, of course not. No one listens to chart anon.
>>
File: 1475596564102.jpg (44KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
1475596564102.jpg
44KB, 360x480px
>Sword of Truth
>>
>>8589698
you brought this on yourself
>>
>>8589698
>nipples on a breast plate
>>
File: pS72Tn5.jpg (68KB, 408x540px) Image search: [Google]
pS72Tn5.jpg
68KB, 408x540px
are there any decent SF flowcharts out there???
>>
>>8589738
I'm fairly sure those rivets are nowhere near the nipple area.
>>
>>8588524
Since you've asked, the ending is probably its weakest point. At the end, this book is just a bunch of "cool" ideas (e.g. the comparison between the Summerian myths and the book's story) and generic characters essentially out of the movie "Hacker", all weaved into a weak narrative that goes absolutely nowhere.
>>
File: SciFi+100+Books.jpg (1MB, 3800x2300px) Image search: [Google]
SciFi+100+Books.jpg
1MB, 3800x2300px
>>8589743
OP?
Or use this
>>
>>8588463
>don't be gay but the desire's not the sin the buttsex is
>horrifying
>new
>>
Why is sanderson writing some shitty kids books instead of finishing the next mistborn and stormlight archives
>>
>>8588553
What, the megachurch speaking-in-tongues hypnosis? Are you one of those people that think all religious people are snake-handlers?
>>
>>8590145
All of his books are kids books.
>>
>>8590149

shut up
>>
File: CZsCReXXEAMLGUH.jpg (66KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
CZsCReXXEAMLGUH.jpg
66KB, 600x450px
>>8587560
>what the shrek was
bretty gud 5/5
>>
File: 1423710184763.jpg (123KB, 636x803px) Image search: [Google]
1423710184763.jpg
123KB, 636x803px
>>8588777
>And it's good shonen anime, not a tournament arc in sight.
Tournament arcs are the best part of shonen anime, you philistine.
>>
>>8590145
He takes vacations from writing by writing something else.
>>
Hey /sffg/ I found our mascot.
>>
>>8590145
You shouldn't be an ungrateful fuck.
Sanderson is probably the most consistent decent writer of his generation.
>>
File: 1473459292586.jpg (24KB, 387x461px) Image search: [Google]
1473459292586.jpg
24KB, 387x461px
>>8590191
>>
>>8590191
>You shouldn't be an ungrateful fuck.

Too bad

He needs to get off his ass and write the books people actually want to read
>>
>>8589311
>Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks
Wetboy was better.

Durzo Blint was a 10/10 character
>>
Did Malzahan ever get decent ebook rips? The ones I read years ago were babelfish as fuck for the first few books.
>>
>>8590208
>Wetboy was better.

You mean night angel?

Durzo was great, it's shit we never learned that more about all the other orbs or whatever the fuck they were
>>
>>8590208
>>8590221
I read night angel when I was way younger, and I remember liking it, but now I'm not sure how good it really was.

It happens depressingly often with a memory a shitty as mine.
>>
>>8590263

It's the opposite for me
I remember reading bram stoker's dracula and it was non eventful and later I regarded it was super comfortable and enjoyable experience
>>
>>8590155
didn't they have black nazi soldiers?
Isn't it the Jews that Hitler hated?
>>
>>8590286
>Hitler
>hating Jews
you are like a little baby
>>
>>8590145
Mistborn and Stormlight are shitty kids books son.
>>
>>8590289
>>>/pol/
>>
>>8579898
I have the three paper books, wish I had that hardcover though, looks bad ass.
>>
>>8584165
Maybe they meant House of Leaves and you got the wrong book?
>>
>>8590125
>ASoIaF is "low" fantasy
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>8590629
It was for like 99% of its runtime
>>
File: Implying I can't read.jpg (44KB, 1143x260px) Image search: [Google]
Implying I can't read.jpg
44KB, 1143x260px
>>8590616
>>
>>8590125
Someone put this in the OP, and shoop it to save sffg
>>
>>8590651
it was a joke anon
>>
Jesus Christ, Tau Zero reads like it was written by a robot, these human relationships on the ship are just cringeworthy.
>>
>>8589529
>delta v

>change in velocity
>not speed because you'll speed up and slow down
>not fuel or propellant because propellant use is variable and you can gravity slingshot too

Don't read science fiction if you don't like science.
>>
>>8590125
>Mistborn
>trilogy about thieves

Only the first book in the series is about thieves and heist planning. Probably that's why the other books are so shit.
>>
So Mieville is pretty much a poor man's Nisio?
>>
>>8590949
absolutely top kek. good post. thank you for your valued contribution
>>
>>8590949
He's a poor man's Jack Vance. They do a similar thing, in going weird, but China does it with pointlessly long, preachy, characterless soap operas, while Vance does it in 50-150 pages, with characters.
>>
>>8590651
Sounds like he warned you about it being anime. Then you read it and are upset it's anime
>>
Do I want to know what will happen to Sabriel?
Do I think the cat was evil from the beginning?
Do I think the free spirit in the form of the cat planned the plane crash from the start?
Do I want to know?
>>
>>8590208
Count Drake was best boy.
>>
>>8590208
Lightbringer cuts out like 98% of the cringy teen shame moments that drag down Night Angel. It's the far superior story.
>>
>>8591486
Is the last 2% the generals retarded daughter?

Also I agree, if you removed dollgirl from Night Angel the series would be strictly better in every way.
>>
>>8579954
This describes the entire series. Unless you're into excessive philosophy and hidden meanings in your book (I know, that's half of /sffg/ and 98% of /lit/), the only reason to read Wolfe is for the example of excellent prose. It's not just nice, it's better than anyone else in the fantasy genre today. However, other than that, it's mediocre. The characters are irritatingly impulsive and oblivious, the plot isn't terribly interesting, and everyone rambles way, way too much.

I say to read it, as a study in good English if nothing else, but unless you enjoy guessing at hidden philosophical meanings more than you enjoy the story itself, you'll probably find it dry.
>>
>>8591486
I don't know about that.....

Maybe like 85%.

And this is coming from someone who read and enjoyed Lightbringer.
>>
>>8589380
I don't disagree, but basically everything other than said twelfth-degree lovemaking pussy slayer 420 is decent, bordering on unusually good. Can't complain about the prose. The other characters are interesting and fun. Background and world are very well thought-out and colorful. Magic is unique and detailed, but not TOO detailed a la Sanderson. Literally everything besides the neckbeard daydream of a main character was done fairly well.
>>
BLOOD MIRROR WHEN
>>
>>8591059

You need help
>>
What are some of your favorite pallet cleansers /lit/? I have too read a lot uni and it kills my enjoyment of long novels
>>
>>8579661
What's so bad about 2034?
>>
>>8591811
asimov's susan calvin shorts. Ellison. Vance. Animorphs, or maybe a Discworld book.
>>
File: 2Gpt8mn.gif (2MB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
2Gpt8mn.gif
2MB, 250x188px
>>8589333
I'm still trying to decide if I want to suffer through the fourth one with the spiders (pic related, it's me psyching myself up to read a non-Expanse Abraham book). I mean it finally sounds like the story is going to get interesting but I dunno.

But Behind The Throne was way better, the plot actually went somewhere and there was character development and actual intrigue and action. Abraham was just the only author I could think of off the top of my head who does Court Intrigue type stuff.
>>
>>8587591
That can be expanded to include all of Vance's series
>>
>>8587591
>Left Hand
>not just some pseud proto-feminist arctic adventure without the adventure
>not worse than Dispossessed
>not worse than Lathe
>not worse than Earthsea
>not worse than Catwings
City of Illusion was her absolute finest work and it deserves a place on that sort of list, but nobody's read it.
>>
>>8591811
Vance and Cook.
>>
>>8588959
it's true the characters are pretty shit. Hiro's okay, but there's like no one else.

but it's fine because what you care about is the weirdly optimistic but still dystopian world he's come up with. In fucking 1992, probably all these shitposters were born. Some of the shit he describes is so close to reality in 15 years from publication.

The climax and ending were pretty lame but I don't even care because the setting and stuff was so good.
>>
File: aj.jpg (45KB, 343x510px) Image search: [Google]
aj.jpg
45KB, 343x510px
How do people feel about this book and this series in general?

Just finished first one, pic related, and I'm diggin it.

I don't know how worn out these concepts are since I haven't read much, are they new at all, or just a total rehash?
>>
the rest of /lit/ hates Harry Potter, but the rest of /lit/ also hates any and all fantasy that isn't magical realism

what does /sffg/ think of the Harry Potter series?
>>
>>8579268
The Fall of Reach. it's a book in the Halo series, taking place just before the first videogame and it's pretty well written. very entertaining, specially if you already know the games and the universe
>>
>>8592484
>the rest of /lit/ hates Harry Potter, but the rest of /lit/ also hates any and all fantasy that isn't magical realism
That's not true since myth and epics are well liked, so is Tolkien, PKD, Wolfe and plenty of others.
>what does /sffg/ think of the Harry Potter series?
It's crap.
>>8592467
I never could like setting only novels. If I wanted that, I'd just read lore on the wiki.
>>
File: 0004583.jpg (94KB, 300x434px) Image search: [Google]
0004583.jpg
94KB, 300x434px
Just blazed through Ender's game saga in two weeks. It's like the later part of the series was specifically written for nipps and waifufags.
>>
>>8592484
Harry Potter is great, when you're a kid, it helps get children into liking books and reading.

Other than that it's meh. When I was 11 my mom read the books along with me(she reads Danielle Steele so I can understand that.)

But the publishing industry has changed since a decade and a half ago. More books are accessible to more people and they are entertaining.

Anyone larping harry potter in their mid 20s and up needs help asap.
>>
>>8592474
I enjoyed the first book but couldn't finish the second. Let us know how you go with it.
>>
File: 1453617220626.gif (76KB, 780x599px) Image search: [Google]
1453617220626.gif
76KB, 780x599px
>want to write some fanfiction
>decide to read more widely within the subject matter to improve my writing
>end of two weeks
>have written nothing
>have read about twenty books
EVERY TIME
V
E

T

M
E
>>
>>8592661
>be retarded
>post this
>>
Started reading Ian Douglas' Star Carrier series. Digging it so far, and I'm looking for other recommendations in a similar trend.
>>
File: tmp_15549-Fin-1475048659.jpg (170KB, 1280x734px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_15549-Fin-1475048659.jpg
170KB, 1280x734px
New thread: >>8592745
>>
>>8592484
It's extremely good for what it is. It's probably the best fantasy available for that age bracket just under YA, and it definitely helps young people get an interest in reading. A middle to high school environment, and the experience of an awkward and impulsive child growing up in one, is something that many, many writers have tried to capture, but very few did this well. For many people, it's the first series that they'll consciously notice that they enjoy more than other material they're reading, and starts them searching more purposefully for other good books at a young age--which is how people end up like us.

However, anyone who thinks it's serious adult fantasy is clinically retarded.
>>
>>8592699
>not knowing how to greentext
Kek
>>
>>8592661
So instead of wasting your time writing fan fiction you read a load of books and for some reason this is a bad thing?
>>
File: piracy-movies-major-studios[1].jpg (52KB, 616x359px) Image search: [Google]
piracy-movies-major-studios[1].jpg
52KB, 616x359px
Alright what's a good long book I can get with my audible credit that I won't find in torrents?
>>
>>8592749
It's not even auto saging yet you fucking reddit using scum
>>
File: mb03_urteau-webres.jpg (354KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
mb03_urteau-webres.jpg
354KB, 1200x800px
>>8592484
Entirely too overrated. I may be biased since nearly every girl I know irl who talks about books ONLY talks about HP.
>>
File: harry potter.jpg (2MB, 966x4485px) Image search: [Google]
harry potter.jpg
2MB, 966x4485px
>>8592513
pretty good waifus though

>>8592484
>what does /sffg/ think of the Harry Potter series?
Dropped the ball post-Goblet, but it was a great stealth-Christian series anyway.
>>
>>8591587
In a vacuum the books arent that bad, but the fact that it takes him years upon years to write such mediocre books and that he's somehow still respected by plebs despite that pisses people off

>>8592474
I liked the series on a character/writing basis but don't expect it to go anywhere
>muh lieutenant awn
>muh illegal immigrants
>>
>>8593145
Why does Japan always get design so right?

The original UK covers are unbeatable though... HP sucks though and you should be ashamed if you still read it. Just my two cents :) !!
>>
>>8592474
The first book is great. I'm about halfway through the second book and it feels like it's not really going anywhere.
>>
>>8593145
The French covers are cool.
The German covers have a hilarious face for Potter.
The Finnish apparently decided to draw everybody like caricatures from a racist cartoon.
>>
>Speaker for the Dead has humanity's only strong AI dedicate herself to the #1 most hated human
>Tay awakens and pledges allegiance to Adolf Hitler
How was Card so prophetic?
>>
Has anyone read something by Catherynne M. Valente?
>>
>>8590632
No it wasn't. Low fantasy does not mean what you think it means.
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 72

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.