[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lit/ 2016 top 100 books poll

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 223
Thread images: 15

File: Dido&Aeneas.jpg (2MB, 2396x1689px)
Dido&Aeneas.jpg
2MB, 2396x1689px
Hello, guys. People were saying 'when's the next top 100 list' so I'm gonna make one.

Link - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeEuDRJF33JvAFxsckzp_54uMiOfqCWkWWlKKZPaVE3BjWwwg/viewform

Results - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_6-b92dCuQKzH4Va2mKI3fy22Du0l3PxkybyPLqEX88/edit?usp=sharing

I'll cap it off after a week or two, and try to figure out a way to sort them. Etc.
>>
>>8568820
>memes will be deleted
So this means anything by Pynchon, DFW, and at least Joyce will thrown in the >>>/trash/
You're dumb.
>>
>>8568853
No, I will include the 'meme trilogy guys'.

Thinking about it, I will also include books like Mein Kampf or Art of the Deal.

I will delete stuff that isn't books like pepe -- you know, memes. But I am dumb, tho.
>>
>>8568858
I mean as long as your including hypersphere
>>
>>8568862
Sure, I will. If enough of /lit/ votes for it. It is, after all, a book.

I'm also going to delete threads that try to vote the same book more than once.
>>
>Nabakov
Why do people this?
>>
>>8568885
I've only read Lolita and found it to be pretty good. I don't understand putting him in the top five but it's a very uniquely written and plotted story. I don't know about Pale Fire though.
>>
>>8568894
The spelling is off, is what I meant.
>>
>>8568914
Well nobokav isn't a hard word to spell so you'll have to forgive my error
>>
>>8568820
>watchmen
>terminator 2 script
M E M E
>>
>>8568962
I might terminate the script, but watchmen is fair game (if questionable taste).
>>
>>8568970
Watchmen is a graphic novel tho. Even if it's a (questionable) good work it doesn't belong in the list.
>>
>>8568976
It's still a book, even if it's not a novel.

Ultimately I'm not too worried about it -- I don't think enough people are gonna vote in a graphic novel to get into the top 100.
>>
All good books thus far.
>>
I think if the work was read in translation it should be specified who the translator was. Same thing with Bible versions (KJV, NSRV, Lattimore, etc)
>>
stupid thread kys op
>>
>>8569113
>>8569119
Nah
>>
>>8568820
is it unique voting?
>>
>>8569162
The only way I can do that is if I require login-- should I do that?
>>
>>8569173
of course. i've already voted three times.
>>
>>8569178
Good lord
You actually did it
You absolute madman
>>
File: dfw thank you.gif (354KB, 170x95px) Image search: [Google]
dfw thank you.gif
354KB, 170x95px
>>8569193
>>
>>8568820

>that guy who voted Infinite Jest and four John Green movies

I don't believe anyone on this board has actually read a novel from either DFW OR John Green.
>>
>>8569865

*John Green books
>>
>>8568820
i think all these charts/books should stop being listed as the "top 100" and something more representative of taste for a given year i.e. favorites of 2016 or some shit

it would make less people dismiss them since past top 100 lists have failed to gain traction
>>
File: kill yourself.png (7KB, 1600x38px) Image search: [Google]
kill yourself.png
7KB, 1600x38px
>>
Stop pretending a confederacy of dunces is a noteworthy book, please.
>>
>>8570074
3 votes already ffs
>>
>>8569173
Yes.
>>
File: 1429986108805.png (407KB, 4500x4334px)
1429986108805.png
407KB, 4500x4334px
>>8568820
>collecting the votes of people who admit they are complete losers only
So... no different from the usual I guess.
>>
>>8569865
Well, it is supposed to be representative of /lit/. I might remove the John Green, though, from the final tally or have a note next to his name that designates it as memes.

>>8570410
It's to weed out those who are too serious to self-deprecate, and thus get the opinions of people who really matter
>>
File: file.png (5KB, 1329x25px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
5KB, 1329x25px
A sly declaration of new classic status slipped into a list of old safe ones.
>>
File: IMG_1985.png (660KB, 1106x1012px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1985.png
660KB, 1106x1012px
>that guy who voted for 4 Bret Easton Ellis books and the art of the deal
>>
>>8568919
You spelled it wrong again. Nabokov.
>>
>>8570889
Voting on a /lit/ poll is already self-deprecation tbqh
>>
>2666
>Journey By Moonlight
>Moby Dick
>My Struggle
>Kornél Esti

I wasted my votes on Hungarian literature I guess. They'll never make it into top 100.
>>
>TFW you're a pleb that reads so little that your top 5 includes books you didn't even like
>>
MAKE IT REQUIRE LOGIN FFS
>>
What's the point? It's just going to be the exact same top 100 list as every other one, with maybe one or two variations.
>>
>>8570996
gotta replace the stale memes with fresh ones
>>
>>8571008
>thinks the meme trilogy is ever getting replaced
>>
>>8570988
It is now, thought it was.

>>8570996
There's nothing lost from doing it. We had one for 2014 and 2015, might as well have one for 2016.
>>
>>8570975

>Hungarian literature
MUH NIGGA, I've been going through a lot of Hungarian books this year. Absolutely undiscovered treasure trove of goodness. So far I really like Skylark and Satantango.

I vouch the following five:
Petersburg-Andrei Bely
War With the Newts-Karel Capek
Herzhog-Saul Bellows
Parade's End-Ford Maddox Ford
Skylark-Dezső Kosztolányi
>>
>>8570996
the bottom half is what really changes and what im interested in. compare the bottom halves of the 2014 and 2015 charts.
>>
>>8568820
The one in 2015 was kept up for at least three weeks. Got to keep it up long enough for people who don't come here frequently to get a chance.

It's a little early for it, but if you're volunteering to be this year's chart anon then no objection from me, since that's a lot of work.

>>8569173
Definitely yes.
>>
>>8571033
I agree, there are a lot of great literature from there.
>>
>nobody voting for stirner
>>
Why no one voting for Zettel's Traum?
>>
>>8571081
I'll keep it up til the end of the month, or somewhere around there.
>>
File: dfw getting hot.png (180KB, 425x314px) Image search: [Google]
dfw getting hot.png
180KB, 425x314px
>already 80 votes

this list is gonna be S P I C Y
>>
>>8571093

Anything you'd recommend from someone who enjoyed: Szerb, Kosztolányi, Krasznahorkai, Banffy, and Karinthy? I've heard Prae is supposed to be awesome and a lot like In Search of Lost Time but it seems like they've only translated the first novel in the series. No idea if it's worth getting and they have no commitment to do the rest.
>>
>>8568820
>I'll cap it off after a week or two
cap it of after a day or two, letting things linger will just invite shitters
>>
Crime and Punishment is only 2 votes behind Infinite Jest.

c-could it happen?
>>
>>8571111
crime and punishment is actually in first because the guy that voted Infinite Jest 5 times doesn't count
>>
>>8568820

I am the person who voted for Carlyle's History of the French revolution twice. Delete my last vote.
I thought it was a new poll that didnt include yesterday's votes.
>>
What do you people find in Dostoevsky's preachy bullshit? He's completely incapable of writing characters, he can only do types. He's exactly like Houellebecq: bad essays barely disguised as fiction.
>>
>>8571135
>completely incapable of writing characters
looks like you can't read
>>
>>8570889
The DFW in 4xJohn Green definitely shouldn't be counted at all, since it's a legitimate entry besides being a meme
>>
I voted for women and men, jerusalem, finnegans wake, bottom's dream, and phenomenology of spirit.
>>
>>8571189
hey that's cool man
>>
>>8571189
>People like you rig the US elections.
>>
mods can we get a sticky please
>>
>>8571109
There has been a lot of hype about The Door by Magda Szabó and I'd highly recommend it.
You've probably read more Hungarian literature than I have.
>>
>>8571135

Dostoevsky is renowned for being able to write characters. It sounds like you just don't like him.
>>
>>8571289
Renowned by whom?

Even the plebs editing wikipedia know what's up:

>Characters are brought together in extraordinary situations for the provoking and testing of the philosophical ideas by which they are dominated.
>>
>>8569874
>failed to gain traction
If you mean people got mad because newfags were trying to make new charts, it's because all of those other threads were made before it had been a year since the last chart.
If you mean it doesn't gain traction as in it isn't popular, you must be too new to remember when the chart blew up on imgur and ruined this board.
>>
>>8569865
I read both the faults in our stars and two DFW essay's about tennis

WHAT NOW MOTHERFUCKER?
>>
>>8571033
Make Skylark a meme again
>>
These lists are meme-tier, OP. You may as well just delete the thread.
>>
>>8571118
That's the only time last year's OP fucked up, he let people get away with multivoting the meme
>>
>>8569874
>failed to gain traction
I don't even know what you're trying to say and yet can see that you're wrong in every possible way (in other words kys)
>>
does /lit/ even like infinite jest? i was thinking about rereading it soon but the results of this poll are making me start to think people voted him and post about him for the same reasons as john green
>>
>>8571327
They just want to shitpost the same thing as everyone else because they can't actually think of any original and/or worthwhile to post and not posting isn't an option for them for some reason.
>>
>>8571327
it's a meme book, not because of its contents but because of its fans. Read it and put it down if you don't like it.
>>
>>8571292
>Renowned by whom?
Almost every author after him who had read him?
>>
>>8571368
Name one.
>>
>>8571354
read my post, i said that i have read it
>>
>>8571372
Tolstoy
>>
>>8568820
Something I don't understand, is why people vote Shadow of the Torturer instead of Book of the New Sun. SotT is just 1/4 of the novel, it's like voting War and Peace, part 1 instead of the whole War and Peace.

On another note, putting philosophy in the same basket as novels is limiting as fuck, there should be seperate charts for those.
>>
>>8571376
Go on, what exactly did Tolstoy have to say about D's characters?
>>
>>8571327
There are some that sincerely enjoy it, and others that ironically like it.
>>
>>8571372
Nietzsche
Woolf
Kafka
Hemingway
Freud
Solzhenitsyn
>>
>>8571377
It's like voting "Swann's Way" instead of
La Recherche du Temps Perdu

Hopefully the poll-taker can be informed that they ultimately refer to the same work.
>>
>>8571374
so you did. So how is outside opinion at all relevant to you rereading it?
>>
>>8571390
I'll make up a text file of books that are counted as other books. just let me know.
>>
>>8571381
"He was suspicious, ambitious, difficult and miserable. Strange that he is read so much! I do not understand why"

so yeah, glowing review
>>
>>8568820
Maybe you should also cook up a list of the top voted authors, to account for the fact that some /lit/ favorites who happen to be prolific are getting their votes split across four or five different titles, while other authors have all their votes for one book.
>>
>>8571390
In Search of Lost Time is good, but I understand, even if it is a bit different for Proust and Wolfe.
>>
>>8571403
You should probably regroup any votes for short stories/story collections (especially Gogol, Chekhov, Kafka) into a same compilation.

People will be referring indiscriminately to Beckett's "Trilogy" for Molloy, Malone Dies, the Unnameable.
Checking just now, there's already one.
>>
>>8571381
>>8571404

How I should like to be able to say everything that I feel about Dostoevsky. You, describing your feeling, expressed a part of mine. I never saw this man and never had direct relations with him, and suddenly, when he died, I understood that he was the very, very closest, the dearest and most necessary man to me. I am a writer, and writers are all vain, envious. I at least am such a writer. And it never entered into my head to measure myself with him--never. Everything that he did (the good, the authentic that he did) was of the kind that the more he did it, the better it was for me. Art evokes in me envy, intellect also, but the work of the heart only joy. Thus I considered him my friend and could not think otherwise than that we should meet some time, and that if it hadn't come about, this was something pertaining to me. And suddenly at dinner--I was dining alone, late--I read that he died. Some kind of support gave way under me. I was dismayed, and then it became clear how he had been dear to me, and I wept and weep now."

"I wrote sincerely what I felt," Tolstoy told Dostoevsky's widow in 1885, apropos his letter to Strakhov, which she had seen. "Dostoevsky was for me a precious man and perhaps the only person whom I could ask about much and who might have answered much for me!"
>>
>>8571415
Yeah, I'll probably do that too.

>>8571419
I've taken note of it. I'll do my best with the story collections but I can't take the time to look up every book that people mention.
>>
>>8571419
Flannery O'Connor is also in the short story writer department.
Wolfe might also appear there.
>>
>>8571429
>I can't take the time to look up every book that people mention.
You should at least try to resolve any non-English titles into their English equivalents when you count votes.

For anything else you'll probably have to rely on people who voted to review the spreadsheet and let you know if there are discrepancies (like the Wolfe voter who is telling you to unify Shadow of the Torturer with Book of the New Sun).
>>
>>8571442
I like to think I'm well-versed enough to recognize a majority of the books listed here, so I should be able to take the time to look up the relatively few books/authors I don't recognize.

The spreadsheet is public so you'll be able to call me out if I'm making some mistake.
>>
>>8571451
You should make it bound to account to prevent multiple votes and split philosophy from fiction.
>>
>>8571458
>You should make it bound to account to prevent multiple votes
I thought he already did that
>>
>>8571458
I've got the bound to account thing checked off so I don't know if there's anything more I can do there.

As for philosophy, I'm not going to make a seperate chart but maybe I'll have colored outlines over each book and a different color will be different things -- like blue for short stories, green for novels, etc.
>>
>>8568820
Number vote 88 is only subtle memes, you can remove him.
>>
>>8571469
I see two scenarios. One, his votes are insignificant and don't make it onto the top 100. Two, enough of /lit/ votes for it and thus it should be put on a chart as it is a representative of /lit/.
>>
>>8571469
Well... >>8571189
>>
>>8568970
Who does he think he is
>>
>>8571429
Does The Collected Stories by Kafka consume entries for The Metamorphosis considering that story is contained in the collection?
I could see it as its own entry as well.
>>
>>8571588
For Kafka, I'll have the Trial, Metamorphosis, and stories. I don't know about the Castle, shoud I count that? What about Amerikah or whatever it's called?
>>
>>8571614
The Trial, the Castle, and Amerika are three novels, so they should each count as their own thing.

Deleting my comment on the Metamorphosis since it's apparently considered more of a novella, but it's still included in all of his "collected short stories"
>>
>>8571675
Metamorphosis will be its own entry. It's distinctive enough in my opinion to be in its own entry.
>>
>>8571614
why wouldn't the Castle be counted? What argument is there against it?
>>
Faust: 1 result

Get sebastian in here
>>
>>8571317
>>8571300
I'm talking about the lists made after the original you fucking retards
>>
>>8571855
I didn't know. I haven't read the castle so I wasn't sure.
>>
>>8571998
The Castle's a full on novel, not a short story.
>>
>>8572342
Alright. I'll count it as such.
>>
>>8569173
I'm not saying discard all the votes from before you did it, but... 6 and 7 are obviously the same person
>>
>>8572825
Here's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna eliminate the votes they shared -- that means only one for Lolita and the Stranger between the two. That being said I'll count the rest, because there might be a chance, though slight, that those were not the same people, and so I don't want to marginalize somebody's vote. It's an online survey, and people could vote multiple times with different accounts anyway; There's just going to end up being a margin of error to consider. The choices he picked are all probably going to make it onto the list anyways so I don't think it's going to affect anything more than maybe the placement of one or two of them.
>>
Provided the thread doesn't get deleted for inactivity, when will it shut down? Is it 200 replies?
>>
>>8573511
300 or 315
>>
>>8573570
alright, thanks man
>>
>inb4 it's basically the same as every /lit/ top 100 and yet people still bitch about the books on it and call for a new poll
>>
Why the fuck are people voting for Moby Dick and In Search of More Commas?
>>
>>8573662
Why wouldn't they vote for Moby Dick? I mean, not one of my five, but it's good...
>>
>>8573662
Considering some people are voting for shitty meme books like confederacy of dunces, I don't see why you would be shocked by moby Dick, of all books
>>
>>8574390
> shitty meme books
> confederacy of dunces
Shit taste confirmed.
>>
>>8574401
Explain to me how it is good.
>>
>>8574449
It is absolutely hilarious. Although comedy is (somewhat) subjective, I feel like if you cannot see that it is funny you are probably a massive fucking psued who cant have fun. Really though, just because you dont like it does not mean that it is a shitty meme book, other people actually enjoy it.
>>
>>8570964
But it's anonymous anon...
>>
>>8574470
You rely on ad hominem when I rely on silly subjectivity. If anything, we're both pseuds.
I think I didn't enjoy it because it's just not my type of humour. I felt it was very surface-level, almost toilet humour at times. Not for me.
Now, to say that I'm a humourless pseud is going a but far but suit yourself.
I mean even if I hadn't missed the 'fun' of the book, I fail to see how one could put this among his 5 favourite books of all time. But yeah, it's my opinion, it's not worth anything
>>
>>8574494
>If anything, we're both pseuds
I can accept that. Still, I think its pretty funny, I see what you mean with almost toilet humor at times but really it was much more than that. Each to his own I guess, I think I need to be more careful of my hostility.
>>
>>8574507
>I think I need to be more careful of my hostility.
Nah, I started it after all. It has to do with my autistic inability not to finish a book I dislike and the resentment towards the book that entails
>>
>>8574470
Do people who like it also find Three men in a Boat funny?
>>
We've got about 150 people so far, ideally I want to make the chart when there's about 1000 which translates to 5000 votes, which would make for a good chart. At about 50-75 entries a day we should be pretty comfy after a few weeks.
>>
>>8574944
>about 1000 which translates to 5000 votes
haha no, last year's poll ran for a month and gathered around 400 votes at most. Most of the regulars who care to vote will already have after Monday.
You might have eluded some of the new kids by starting it now (isn't this the time of year when school starts?) but that most questionable of contributions isn't going to blow your voterbase into the thousands no matter how long you wait
>>
>>8575101
Alright, so I might get 300-500. That's still like 2000 votes, which should be enough to get a half-decent list
>>
Made a rough count of the most popular books.

Notes -- Apparently the mems have caught up to McCarthy and now less people like Blood Meridian.

A lot of people are liking Lolita, it's moving up. IJ is no longer number one.

The Bible and Lolita are more popular already (with 150 votes on this one and 400 then) than last year's total.

Putting Borges' stuff together makes him more popular, which is more representative.

Dostoevsky or Pynchon probably the favorite author at this point.

/lit/ is meme-free, beyond a few troll entries. Good job guys.
>>
>>8574470
I like confederacy but I can admit there's very little depth to it. Beyond Ignatius' character development it's pretty barren and giving a laugh once in a while doesn't make up for it.
>>
>>8568820
150 has exceptionally awful taste.
>>
>>8575883
I expected (and hoped) to see more Wolfe, Endo and O'Connor in there.
>>
>>8575986
O'Connor's a woman, Wolfe's a genre fic author, endo is a non-westerner. They were doomed from the start on a /lit/ poll.
>>
>>8568820

Please fuck off.

The last list garnered over a million views on imgur, and /lit/ was a quagmire of shit for months afterwards.

It serves no other purpose than to guide middlebrow newfags who should just read the sticky. The dangers associated with the list hitting imgur, or god fucking forbid, reddit, are massive.

Please, pretty please, fuck off.
>>
42 & 88 are obvious troll replies

>>8576022

Yeah yeah you're obviously right, but it's still fun to do. Lit will never become board that's well-read, so why not
>>
File: w.jpg (95KB, 1020x760px)
w.jpg
95KB, 1020x760px
>>8575986
>I expected (and hoped) to see more Wolfe, Endo and O'Connor in there.
>>
Ctrl+f Bellow: 0 results

Why is this?
>>
>>8576070
jewlizards desu
>>
>>8575986
I would have done O'Connor with my vote, but I felt her complete collection was strange to add.
>>
>>8576022
Are you implying /lit/ isn't already a quagmire of shit?
>>
>>8576112
Why not though?
>>
>>8576112
I'm putting all the short story authors into one book, so it's fine to add it. I think you can go back and change it, if you want to.
>>
File: Zhuangzi.gif (122KB, 339x438px)
Zhuangzi.gif
122KB, 339x438px
>tfw Anna Karenina might finally take its place in the top 10

I still re-read some of those Levin in the country chapters, especially the greatest dog POV in all of western /lit/
>>
get a fucking sticky in here
I'm hyped
>>
>>8576558
this. lets go boys.
>>
voted and bump
>>
>>8571033
One of my votes was Beware of Pity. Sublime
>>
>>8571310
> Meme - a recurring idea
> Why are the same books being again and again

Nice tautology brah
>>
So which anon is the most transparently try-hard? Ignoring 88, which is an obvious troll.
>>
>>8577487
>... being voted again and again**

Goddammit, I'm too rertarded to spell a chirp properly
>>
>>8577497
I'm more interested in which anon is being the most genuine.
>>
>>8577533
Probably someone who didn't submit any stereotypically "pretentious" books, or maybe only one genuinely popular but "pretentious" classic. Along with genre fiction. Maybe #124
>>
>>8575883
>Dostoevsky or Pynchon probably the favorite author at this point.
>/lit/ is meme-free
>>
>>8575883
Fucking hell if Lolita goes #1 we'll be in for a shitstorm
>>
>>8576056
Wolfe was in top 30 last year.
>>8576112
We are counting short stories as a single book for all who wrote them, so she'd just have Complete Stories on the chart. I know she's gotten some traction before.
>>
Why are you retards voting Jerusalem? Nobody has even finished it yet.
>>
>>8577535
>can't be genuine if you don't count genre fiction among your favorites
Nice spooks bean

>>8577878
Then the poll is too early. What else would make its way that wasn't already there before?
>>
200 can be safely removed from the list, being an obvious visitor from reddit.
>>
>>8568820
i voted for three separate books of the bible. it seems like it would make more sense to combine them into one as "the holy bible". sorry, m8.
>>
File: 1459839291378.png (696KB, 760x720px)
1459839291378.png
696KB, 760x720px
only two my my books have been answered even one time

that feel when too patrician for /lit/
>>
Okay, so I've made a new count.

Lolita is up pretty far, only Moby Dick can catch up with it. I realized I had forgotten to eliminate 4 illegal votes for Infinite Jest which put it down -- looks like Wallace is losing popularity.

Iliad and Odyssey are equally popular (but there are two people here who can't spell Iliad). Counting people who voted for the Gospel, the Bible is slightly more popular than the stranger, and of the meme trilogy all are within three votes of one another (GR being the least popular).

Looks like we should be able to scrounge up a 100 books that have more than 5 or 6 votes, especially if we're able to get another hundred entries or so. Last time, I'm told, got 400 after a month of being up. /lit/ is probably bigger now so we should be able to get at least that much, 500 being my ideal target. I'll make the chart at the end of the month.
>>
>>8578764
yes
>>
>>8579251
Did you remove 200 from the voters?
>>
>>8578401
>can't be genuine if you don't count genre fiction among your favorites
Nope. Read it again. I'm asserting that someone who admits to liking a low-status book is showing honesty, while someone who only admits to liking high-status books may or may not be honest (because there is a conflicting incentive to claim to like higher status books).
>>
>>8579293
I'll leave it for the giggles. None of them are gonna make it onto the chart anyways because 99% of votes are genuine.
>>
>>8579251
>>
>>8579420
vote molloy senpai that's a good book
>>
>>8579623
I'm counting the trilogy as a single book fyi
>>
>>8571135
mods sticky this
>>
This is rigged right?
>>
>>8579686
Yes. Rigged by the collective opinions of /lit/
>>
>>8579420
ayy those 2 strangers were me :)
>>
>221
if this is bait, you got me
>>
>>8579829
The fact that even /lit/'s own "books" won't make it to the end is one of the few redeeming features of these polls
>>
>>8577772
But /lit/ loves Nabokov, that wouldn't be a surprise.
>>
>>8577772
its gonna be moby dick
>>
Hypersphere / Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters / Dhalgren / Jerusalem / Bottom's Dream
>>
>>8577878
>he subvocalizes

(jokes aside, it's true that without an ARC 2-hours-a-day readers should still be into the third book)
>>
Sick, who else voted for Jakob Von Gunten?
>>
>>8575883

>Lolita and Moby Dick.

Stop voting for these shit books, pseuds.
>>
>>8581553
People like them.
>>
>>8581029
It's the new Infinite Jest basically.
>>
File: Top 100.jpg (1MB, 1819x4347px)
Top 100.jpg
1MB, 1819x4347px
Okay, I've done another tally. Have a rough top 20 (maybe there are books I've forgotten to check that have more, but this is more or less what the top 20 looks like).

Dostoevsky probably the most popular author; Karamazov is within a few votes of the top spot.

Pynchon is also pretty popular, with GR being high up (but not as popular as before) and tCoL49, M&D and V all doing well (I don't have an accurate count for V right now but it's probably 6-8).

The Bible is picking up popularity; It is now in 6th place.

Interesting that the 'HS books' aren't as popular here. Catcher, 1984, Catch-22, Gatsby, are all faring very poorly in comparison with last year's poll. Homer and Dante have already outranked their positions last time.

Anyways, I'm running off this chart, is there a more recent one? I remember there being another but I don't have it downloaded.

Also, do you think Shakespeare should be put into one entry?
>>
>>8583586

>Different books by the same author
We should've had another poll ready for this so we can unanimously agree on which book is the utmost best by that author instead of the chart being filled up with different titles.
>>
>>8583597
Don't you worry, I'm gonna make a second chart where authors are ranked by the cumulative total of their books.

Also, having only one book per author would have hurt most authors -- there are people who would have voted for C&P but not the Idiot and vice versa.
>>
>>8583586
"The Bible" being one book is an outrage to be honest, it should be divided book by book, or atleast into OT and NT
any edgy pleb that picked up some 'hip' form of Christianity from this board can just say "the Bible", but it doesn't mean much
>>
Next year I think it would make more sense to just have novels. As it is only poets and short story writers with meme collections like Borges can get in. Better to just be honest than punish people for voting honestly. Or have seperate lists for best short story, best poem, and best non fiction.
>>
>>8583631
We can still derive that from this, more or less. You can just ignore the books that aren't novels, or Short stories, etc. People get five votes so there's plenty of vareity.
>>
>>8583586
please notice this >>8579800
>>
>>8583631
What do you mean by novels? That would exclude all the Greeks, Romans, Middle Ages, etc. Don Quixote wasn't written till the 17th century. Just let people vote for whatever they want.
>>
>>8583586
Also, do you think Shakespeare should be put into one entry?
Yes.
>>
Kinda strange nobody voted Jack Vance while so many voted Borges.
>>
>>8583586
>Also, do you think Shakespeare should be put into one entry?
Do a Harold Bloom and just have Shakespeare, but write the two or three works with the most votes below
>>
>>8583586
>Also, do you think Shakespeare should be put into one entry?
No, how would that be different from the author count (I assume nobody is voting for his sonnets)? And it's not like he's known more as a name than for particular works like most other dramatists - his individual plays are at least as identifiable as any author's novels.

>>8583924
What? Borges is internationally known as one of the best 20thC short story writers - nobody cares much about Vance. You must be confused.
>>
>>8583961
How is that relevant? I didn't deny or affirm anything about Borges. I only noted how they are relatively similar as far as what I see as the target "audience''.
Vance is an influential and popular writer in his own right, but it is true, nobody cares much about him here.

Also very surprised that nobody voted for Chesterton.
>>
>>8583961
>>8583952
>>8583696

>yes
>yes
>no

I'm not a math guy, I can't count all this shit. Vote here.

http://www.strawpoll.me/11365179
>>
>>8583981
>how they are relatively similar
Even aside from the fact that Vance isn't particularly popular here, I don't get what you're talking about. Most fans of Borges today probably don't even know about Vance other than as "one of those old pulp writers", and it's not like their works share any similarities. Aren't you thinking about Gene Wolfe?
>>
>>8584010
No. I find the experience of reading Borges and Vance similar. Wolfe and Chesterton are also two authors who, for me at least, evoke the same impressions.
>>
>>8583985
I voted no but I dunno desu, having Shakespeare's Tragedies in the top10 must be as pointless as having three of his plays float around the bottom
>>
>>8583693
>That would exclude all the Greeks, Romans, Middle Ages, etc
Yes, and that would be a problem if we were deciding the western canon but not for a stupid internet poll.
>>
>>8584105
90% of the final result will be novels, what are you complaining about? Either way it wouldn't be a problem for a stupid internet poll either
>>
>>8584087
Seems like most people don't want it, so I probably won't end up doing it.Shakespeare doesn't seem to be very popular on /lit/, tb.h
>>
~130 replies in the first 24 hours
~50 in the next
~45 in the next
~25 in the next

No matter how few we get I'm gonna keep this open until at least the 21st.
>>
I forgot my Google's password ;_;
>>
>>8584438
Start a new thread with a spicier pic
>>
>>8584508
Spicy enough for you

>8584529
>>
The list overall is bretty good so far
>>
>>8584438
what a trooper
>>
Can teenagers like the ones that post lists ilke this be removed?

>Stoner - John Williams
>Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace
>Kokoro - Natsume Soseki
>The Stranger - Albert Camus
>Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov

That's just voting /lit/core to fit in
>>
>>8583586
Thus ain't accurate.
I've counted 7 votes for Le Comte de Monte Cristo
>>
>>8585554
That pic is from last year's poll.
>>
>>8585521
It would be a decent list without Infinite Jest.
>>
>>8585561
Oh OK. Seems like I can't read
>>
File: forlorn-whale.jpg (60KB, 1072x714px)
forlorn-whale.jpg
60KB, 1072x714px
Even though my votes won't end up in the final chart, i feel a little good about it this time because one or two other anons chose a couple of my choices, and i grabbed some suggestions as well.
>>
>>8584128
>90% of the final result will be novels, what are you complaining about?
I didn't know that I was complaining, but I obviously wasn't complaining that there will be too *few* novels.
>>
>>8583586
>Anyways, I'm running off this chart, is there a more recent one? I remember there being another but I don't have it downloaded.
That's the most recent one.
>>
>>8583981
>Also very surprised that nobody voted for Chesterton.
I did.
>>
>>8585918
I didn't see him when I ctrlfed.
>>8585636
I'm just sad that I can't vote philosophy/history for another chart.
>>
get out of this thread dudes
>>8584529
>>
>>8586467
so let this one die
Thread posts: 223
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.