[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a word for the feeling of grief after finishing a book

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1440008498062.jpg (221KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1440008498062.jpg
221KB, 1000x750px
Is there a word for the feeling of grief after finishing a book or series, as well as the physical discomfort and minor depression associated with it? I don't even like to read anymore because of this.
>>
>>8535551
la petite mort
>>
>>8535631
That explains the physical pain, but what about the grief?

I should be happy right now, the two weeks that it took me to get through this were extraordinarily happy. Now I'm mentally exhausted and becoming irate at every little noise.
>>
>>8535631
nah, that desribes an orgasm

>>8535551

metaphysical hangover it is
>>
it's probably comparable to missing a friend, so I think 'sadness' or 'loneliness' would do, no bells and whistles required.
>>
>>8535551
I think this is pretty normal. It's the same kind of thing like when some people you like come live with you for a few days then leave. For me it's that same kind of loneliness and pang of horror when you feel like you have no idea what to do anymore.

I usually just pick up another book though. I'm 100% certain my backlog will take longer than my life time to finish.
Still, I keep adding to it because I wouldn't want to feel that feel of running out completely.
>>
>>8535779
Like I said, I don't read much anymore and I just needed an excuse to post this here, because here I might get an answer.

I don't think anything can top what I just finished watching.
>>
>>8535551
We have a word for this in Swedish.
>>
>>8535970
Perfect. I needed something for my journal.
>>
I always figured that feeling was just because I use reading as a coping mechanism. A crushing return to reality. Then again, there is a feeling of trying to recapture the first reading a series, its just never the same.
>>
It's called guilt, for wasting your life on that kind of thing.
>>
>>8535753
In the literal sense it describes the orgasm - but the satisfying novel arguably usually peaks shortly before the end, and a protracted read can be easily made into a metaphor of lovemaking.

Much of our language use originates in such metaphorical repurposing; for instance, the word blade is derived from the old English "blaed", which is the leaf of a plant.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.