[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm planning on writing a book. I'm 21 years old and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: buy my book.jpg (116KB, 550x367px) Image search: [Google]
buy my book.jpg
116KB, 550x367px
I'm planning on writing a book. I'm 21 years old and I'm aware that it will take a long ass time to make with no guarantee it well publish or sell. Advice? Thoughts?
>>
Write a shit ton of short stories instead. It will hone your story telling skills (plot, characterization, how to write dialogue that does sound retarded) and give you feedback on whats good and what sucks.

Then ,when you have enough life experience to write a decent novel, you can bang it out quick.
>>
write some short stuff and get it published in magazines or on a webzone so you can establish yourself as a writer and not just some dude that wrote a book
>>
Work every day, if only a little.
>>
>>8532766
Make damn sure it's something you care about enough to put the effort in. Have a good-paying day job.

>>8532784
>>8532786
Is there even a market left for short stories though?
>>
>>8532833
Yea, submit to literary mags. Things like Granta, but a google search revealed a host of similar sites: http://www.moreofit.com/similar-to/www.granta.com/Top_10_Sites_Like_Granta/
>>
>>8532833
you can add a few recurring characters, strap all the short stories together and call it a novel. :^)
>>
>>8532833
market? there are a lot of magazines (depending on country of course) but he's not going to earn any money from it.
>>
>>8532766
don't write short stories unless you are looking to practice or you want to write short stories. just hone in on your writing ability and throw everything you have at this work. submit a chapter or two to an agent or someone with publishing insight and see what they think and write. if you paint the picture you are doing it right. best of luck.
>>
>>8532766
have the main character and his/her love interest screw at least twice in the book
>>
>>8532766
Good luck.
>>
>>8532784
This. But wait til your 28 until you try to publish anything. Anything a 21 year old writes is rubbish. You need a few years to develop talent and an aesthetic. Just show your stuff to people you trust to critique you and be critical, or form a writers group and share your work with them.

This is the number one thing that will improve you.
>>
just write. and don't try to be a great writer. just write.
>>
Write every day. 1000 words is optimal. Read King's On Writing and Elements of Style. Read literature, seriously. If you want to write, you need to read.

Let others critique your work, and don't disregard their opinion. Chances are, they're right. Still, it's your work.

Read, write, read, write, love what you do, don't give up, Godspeed.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.