[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lit/, I have an opportune chance to go do an MA. Should I do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: vlcsnap-2016-05-25-02h12m37s244.png (352KB, 512x400px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-05-25-02h12m37s244.png
352KB, 512x400px
/lit/, I have an opportune chance to go do an MA. Should I do it? My BA was in philosophy but I didn't really learn a lot.I was thinking of studying something like soc or anthro but they seem as useless as my BA was.

What would you MA be in and why?
>>
>>8532539
Liberal arts, namely sculpture. Because it's awesome.
>>
>>8532539
Don't you have to do the MA in what you majored in?
>>
>>8532539

Can you do it for free, or at least without debt? I'm sorry to be that guy but how will you support yourself with a masters of arts? I'm doing a postgraduate diploma in accounting and it's brutal for someone used to humanities stuff, but at least I know that the average CPA makes 60k a year, so there's light at the end of the tunnel if I somehow manage to survive the next few years. Even if I don't get my letters I'll still be useful as a bean counter somewhere.

>>8532552

But sculpture is fine arts. Unless your talking about art history with a focus on sculpture that is. Fine arts majors exist to make arts majors feel better about their job prospects.
>>
>>8532539
After ungrad I am considering getting either some sort of Math MA (either for teaching eventually and finding some work immediately) or pursuing an MFA (in either creative writing or visual arts).

I would not major in soc or anthro but if those are your passions then by all means pursue them.

I wish I could be more decisive about what I wish to study. Majoring in math just to do something but I enjoy all my arts and writing class much more. I think I enjoy math but I do not enjoy the classes, I wonder if this is just the nature of the subject. Everyone tells me a math degree is useful so I keep at it.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-05-25-02h12m18s37.png (265KB, 512x400px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-05-25-02h12m18s37.png
265KB, 512x400px
>>8532575
no, but you usually need at least a minor's worth a credits in the field, sometimes it doesn't matter at all though.

>>8532577
it would be really low cost, TA/RAships/scholarships will provide enough to cover the cost of the degree, and my parents will pay the rest. i live in Canada so that shit is cheap af to begin with.

>>8532579
i'm passionate about writing fiction and academic non-fiction, so i just want to be in an environment where it's nurtured.
>>
>>8532577
Oh, okay, fine arts then. I don't know shit about arts, being a stemfag.
>>
>>8532579
math is good for job opportunities here. insurance, banking, other finance, whatever analyst work.
>>
I majored in English (at my university film studies and literature studies are combined under English.) and minored in philosophy. What should I MA in?
>>
>>8532577
>doing a postgraduate diploma in accounting and it's brutal for someone used to humanities stuff,

What? Is the meme of STEM = harder than humanities actually true?
>>
>>8532721
Yes.
>>
File: Cognitive_Science_Hexagon.jpg (49KB, 600x609px) Image search: [Google]
Cognitive_Science_Hexagon.jpg
49KB, 600x609px
With a B.A in philosophy you won't learn a lot. You need a PhD. One of my professors said the bachelors degree is 'kindergarten'.

I'm a philosophy major too. For the masters I got into cognitive sciences. You can use your philosophical background to discuss problems related to the philosophy of mind, and you will acquire knowledge of mutliple fields - see pic related.

I suggest you to read these papers

http://cogsci.uwaterloo.ca/~pthagard/Articles/whycogsci.2009.pdf

https://ase.tufts.edu/cogstud/dennett/papers/tops_1015.pdf

>>8532721
>What? Is the meme of STEM = harder than humanities actually true?
No, but it's crazy to have a BA in humanities and do a major in math or sciences. I doing a BA in mathematics, and getting into graduate math without the basic knowledge of the BA is a very bad idea.
STEM majors had four years of training, a person who gets into a stem majors from humanities had zero. The best thing to do is to get a MA or PhD in a discipline related to the BA.
>>
>>8532767
You got multiple BAs?
>>
>>8532767
Many thanks for those articles. Can you tell us more about the structure of your Masters in Cogsci?

A Philosophy BA contains some Logic, though the material is not particularly deep; it tends to be wholly kept at the level of object language (perhaps with some mention of key metatheoretic results) and certainly its presentation is less rigorous than in Mathematics and Compsci departments. It is, I think, more broader and covers more formal systems (non-classical such as modal, epistemic, etc.) than Mathematics department, however.

But seeing that you're doing a Masters in a related discipline, does it by chance include any Statistics and Probability, so you would get an overall idea of how to design an empirical experiment, collect and analyse data, and infer whatever is needed from the data? If so, which book(s) specifically are on your syllabus that cover these points?
>>
>>8532767
good post.
>>
Some really good posts in this thread.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.