[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does this eventually get good? I'm about 80 pages in and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: tmp_1458-serveimage(5)1303026286.jpg (199KB, 1166x1764px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_1458-serveimage(5)1303026286.jpg
199KB, 1166x1764px
Does this eventually get good? I'm about 80 pages in and it's just a bunch of Russians having a tea party.
>>
No, Anna Karenina is his magnum opus. You fucked up.
>>
>>8530679
>P&V

It's your own fault.
>>
>>8530679

About 25 or so more pages and it will, yes. Think of the first 100 pages as an introduction to the characters.
>>
>>8530679

Just wait for the Dolokhov party, you will love it.

Also, this is probably the greatest novel ever written. It contains all.
>>
I'm around page 450 right now and it does.

Once you get to know the characters it gets really entertaining. The War tends to be more boring than the Peace, as the Peace tends to be less wrapped in history stuff and more in the characters, who are really amazing.
>>
>reading pre-Crisis Tolstoy
im sure i shiggy this
>>
>>8530679
Maybe lit isn't the place for you friend, I would be a nigger and say >>8530685

But Anna Karenina is the same exact thing, the beauty of the story is in its pacing and development. You aught learn the virtue of patience or go to a more child friendly board.
>>
>>8530971
>ever even considering reading the works of the christian ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''tolstoy''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
>>
>>8530949
yeah, agreed, i mean, just as there are people who prefer the tennis academy parts of infinite jest and other people who prefer the halfway house parts, there are warriors and there are peacers, and im a warrior. warriors tend to be men and peacers tend to be women, ive noticed. perhaps it's biology. it just goes to show, though, that war and peace has something for each of the only two genders that exist.
>>
>>8531026
Nah, you're just a pleb.
>>
>>8531026

Please, please kill yourself.
Like, right now if possible. The sooner the better. You really are a blight on this world and it would definitely be better off without you.
>>
>>8530690
What's wrong with P&V?
>>
>>8531035
>>8531037
Come one guys, the bait was super novice tier and you still bit
>>
>>8531018
Hadji Murat and Death of Ivan Ilyich are 10x better works than AK and WP
>>
>>8531330
Why?
>>
>>8531330
Maybe the pleb statement of the month for this board.
>>
>>8531334
Tolstoy had a very young/narrow view of the world when he wrote his novels imo
>>
>>8531366

The philosophy or ideals behind these books do not matter. What matters are the multiple characters and all the details of gestures, actions, thoughts and deeds that Tolstoy captured with his all-absorbing senses, and the multitude of scenes and incidents (which cover a colossal slice of reality) in which these characters move. What is the value of the "philosophy" behind such work compared to the much more rare and vital talent of feeding with endless details about human beings, nature and society and then beeing able to sculpt them with precision and elegance on the pages of a book? Now that's what makes a great writer; to have "ideas" and "life lessons" and lecture about them is a thing that any pamphleteer can do.

It is much easier to be a Marcus Aurelius than a Tolstoy.
>>
>>8531434
he was just as talented a writer in his later works, but with much better/more informed direction imo

i can read any of his short stories and see his talent manifest just as well as it is in Anna K (perhaps his manipulation of time and of a recurring cast list is not as on display by design, but to me there is purpose AND talent in Hadji but just talent in his earlier works.)
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.