[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>age >location >current book you're reading, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 19

File: 1471969209047.png (129KB, 500x495px) Image search: [Google]
1471969209047.png
129KB, 500x495px
>age
>location
>current book you're reading, and how do you like it
>>
>18
>North Dakota
>Infinite Jest. Probably the most intelligent commentary on love and relationships I've read thus far.
>>
>>8526287
25, South Africa, Learned Optimish - Martin E. P. Seligman, too soon
>>
>>8526287
>20
>France
>Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man. It is pretty nice.
>>
>20
>London
>English Renessaince Poetry edited by John Williams
Pretty great so far up to Wyatt
>>
>20
>Ruski
>Inherent Vice. I'm not far into it. It's very entertaining and paints a decent semi-historical picture of the seventies, but at the same time I'm kinda bummed that it's just that.
>>
>>8526287
2016 minus birth year
CO
several, because some people read more than one book concurrently; generally favorable
>>
>>18
>Southernmost Sweden
>A portrait of the artist as a young man

It's okay. I've just barely started it, and so far it's pretty hard to get through. Mostly because I'm either a retard, or because the language is antique. Probably a mix of both.

Fun note: My ban expired December 17th and I hadn't seen it untill now.
>>
>20
>Tennessee
>V.
I was afraid I'd been meme'd initially, but it's pretty breathtakingly good. Only downside is I have to continually look references up before proceeding in the actual book; Pynch-man makes me feel inferior, and it's kind of fun, in a challenging sort of way.
>>
>>8526287
>21
>Massachusetts
>Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard

Love it. Very enjoyable, the kind of book where you can float in the prose.
>>
>>8526330
is it your first Pynchmeister?
>>
>23
>Norway
>Butcher's Crossing
Except for the agony of being worked till the senses dull (I'm exmilitary, I know this.) I can't feel myself in the world. The protagonist is an idiot for going out from Harvard to go into the mountains with some drunks, with no real purpose to it.

Anyway I'm just borrowing it from my big bro to give him a signal if it's good or what.
>>
>22
>chile
>cloud atlas, mason & dixon, the pale king
Nothing interesting ATM in cloud atlas
mason & dixon funny at times
the pale king goes on with a hard and good theme: boredom, it has managed it so so atm
>>
>19
>UK
>The Aeneid + The Fourfold Root of the Principle of Sufficient Reason

The Aeneid is written beautifully, and though it can be difficult to follow, given that i'm not completely used to Latin names for the gods, it's still a pleasure to read.

Only just started the Fourfold Root and it's basically a long introduction to The World as Will, but I've found it intellectually engaging so far.
>>
Canada
Currently reading a few books:
>The New Testament -- Translated by Lattimore
Beautiful to read. Lattimore is a genius. I read it along with my NSRV Oxford Study Bible.
>Goodbye Canada
More political lamentations. Canadians don't turn out much great literature but we have some very good political writings. Written by the former defense minister, the same guy who founded the Canadian Action Party and talked about UFOs publicly.
>Early Greek Philosophy
Amazing book. Read only when you're fresh though because trying to understand the Greeks can be tough. The books contains translated fragments of the presocratic philosophers, but very litte commentary to help you sort out what it all means. Some greeks write very cryptically, others write very plainly.
>White Noise
Classic Delillo. It has a bit of a YA feel to it almost, but it's a great book to read.
>>
Ontario
Borges, the complete fictions
Staring from the begining his early stories are alright but I'm not super into them. Looked ng forward to the later ones.
Micheal Chabon, the Yiddish policeman's union
Enjoying it so far. It's sometimes a little too stereotypically noir but I'm warming up to it.
>>
>>8526400
Looking*
>>
Austria
Reading Metro 2033 in Russian
>>
>>8526338
Yeah; in all honestly, I hadn't heard of him before first venturing into /lit/ a few years ago. I originally thought about diving straight into GR, but I've always liked chronological ~order in most authors to sort of gauge their progress (or regression), so V. it is.
It was a bit jarring at first for a solid pleb like me, but I think I've sort of become acclimated.
>>
>>8526405

forgot to add that I like it and it's fun to practice the language whilst reading
>>
>>8526287
>196
>Johannesburg
>Brick by Brick: how the Lego company rewrote the rules of innovation

i'm about half way through. it's pretty good. very readable
>>
File: image.jpg (61KB, 590x653px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61KB, 590x653px
>>8526287
>22
>DC
>Brave New World

Just started reading it. Seems interesting.
>>
England
Gravity's Rainbow. I found the first 200 pages to be good, but a bit of a slog at times. I've just started the second section so I'm hoping it will pick up a bit.
>>
>18
>Israel
>The Brothers Karamazov
>Really like it, haven't even reached the middle yet and it already feels as if this book can get get into my top 5 easily.
>>
>>8526287
>22
>Michigan
>Fear and Trembling

Well I'm a good Catholic boy again.
>>
>>8526434
It picks up in the second section and only gets better from there. I found the first section extremely difficult to get through, but kept pushing. It's worth it.
>>
>25 1/2
>SoCal
>To the Lighthouse
I'm enjoying it but so far I don't like it as much as i did Mrs. Dalloway. Granted, I'm only on chapter 8 and Mrs. Dalloway had a very strong start. I hope it grows.
>>
Houston
about to start Lolita and hoping it doesn't change me too much
>>
>>8526287
>21
>Israel
>Ferdydurke by Witold Gombrowicz, it's quite good and very amusing.
>>
>22
>Virginia
>Spotted Horses by Faulkner
Just started today, should finish it in a day or two since its so short. Loving it so far, the only other Faulkner I've read is As I Lay Dying and I really didn't enjoy it but that was in high school when I much more pleb.
>>
>18
>UK
>Pale Fire, I'm enjoying it so far, it's amusing to see how close Kinbote thinks Shade is to him and how much value he places on his analysis over the poem itself
>>
>>8526287
>26
>Mississippi
>Just finished Children of Cain waiting for Uncollected Stories of Faulkner to come in this week
>>
>>8526520
Just finished Pale Fire. Amazing how it all comes together in the end.
>>
>>8526309
sup nigga
>>
>18
>England
>Mistborn book 2. Forcing myself to get through it honestly so I can get to Malazan. The writing just kinda sucks but it's not that bad i guess
>>
>25
>UK
>V

This is the first I've read by Pynchon. I'm 100 pages in, thoroughly enjoying it, but not totally sure what's going on.
>>
>19
>Alberta
>As I Lay Dying

I love it so far, especially Darl's bits
>>
File: 1447062480802.png (48KB, 365x214px) Image search: [Google]
1447062480802.png
48KB, 365x214px
Mauritania
Notes from the underground- Very relatable though the whole thing becomes boring at the second act

>>8526573
>>
>>8526287
>23
>LONDON
>Aristotle's Physics
It's pretty dense, I can read only about 10-15 pages in an hour. You have to read a bit, think about it for a while, then continue. I'm actually enjoying it though
>>
>>8526569
You may never figure out what's going on, but keep reading... there are some very memorable chapters ahead.
>>
>20
>Maryland

>there is a river. girl gave it to me, writing is meh so i'm trying to speed-read it

>the imitation of christ. it is a lot to absorb, so i am reading it slowly. half of me love it, half of me hates it. it really puts an emphasis on humility, and expresses such a standard of humility that i'd be afraid to bring myself so low.

>walden. super dry. i stopped halfway through to read other stuff, and maybe get back to it after some lighter reading.
>>
>18
>UK
>Crime and Punishment
Although I'm not very far in yet I'm enjoying it thoroughly.
>>
sf
A Farewell To Arms - how do you guys read this boring bullshit?
>>
>>8526330
Wtf are you me? Seriously though...I'm also 20 in TN and reading V.
>>
>>8526287
germany
kafka - america

it's the last book missing in my kafka collection. 100 pages in i think its jolly good.
>>
>19
>New York
>On The Road: The Original Scroll

Complete and total fuckery. Kerouac can't write for fucking shit and I'm honestly wondering why I'm wasting my time. I guess there's an occasional nice sentence and Allen Ginsberg talking about cocks is amusing but that's about all the redeeming qualities this thing has.
>>
>22
>Sweaty taint of the South
>At the Mountains of Madness
Pretty spoopy friends.
>>
Sweden
Fear and loathing in las vegas
its ok
except for all the "dude drugs lmao"
>>
>>8526287
>25
>Chicago
>Sandman Mystery Theater: Really interesting take on a classic comic book character. The art is grotesque but matches the stories really well. It's a bit too on the nose with making the heroes politically correct and everyone else a careless racist/sexist or whatever but I'm still digging it.
>>
>18
>Chicago
>Jane Eyre. It's okay, a little boring and too long for my tastes. I see why some like it, but it's not my thing (it's required reading for AP Lit).
>>
NE
Amazons by Don DeLillo

I think it's one of his best works and I've read a lot of DeLillo. I don't understand why he is so against being recognized for writing it.
>>
>19
>West Germany
>American Psycho

Everyone talks about how "boring" the non-murder parts are, but in my opinion, these are by far the best ones.
They all are funny in their own way while still remaining believable.
The business card part is a well known example, but the "Pastels" scene is also hilarious with the bellinis piling up and Bateman arguing about pizza.
>>
>22
>Sweden
>Weep Not, Child. I'm only one chaptet in, can't say much. Really liked The River Between though.
>>
>>8526698
ooops, forgot to take off trip
>>
>>8526454
>19
>Brazil
>Nicomachean Ethics
Aristotle is absolutely right about most things so i'm enjoying it
>>
>>8526685
>16
Bye.
>>
>>8526713
See ya
>>
Lithuania
Moore's Principia Ethica
>>
>>8526704
I remember reading it and thinking the same thing. "Damn, this guy has his finger on the money..." He correctly identifies human behaviour and motivations. The problem is it's useless as a "what should I do" book. Most ethical works try to answer that question, Arry's is more a study in behaviour and motivation.
>>
>19
>Texas
>Siddhartha

I enjoyed the story and the writing. I'm not a big fan of eastern philosophy tho
>>
>20
>"Poland"
>The Book Thief

Loving it, the little girl's perspective makes the story of war's atrocities a bit more... hospitable? It's not as heart-breaking as Frank's story but it touches your heartstrings nonetheless. And the fact that it is narrated by Death itself turned out to be intresing and not cheesy as you would assume.

The movie's going to suck tho.
>>
>20
>USA
>Invisible man
its pretty good. but i havent gotten that far into it
>>
>21
>Rome
>Stefan Zweig - The Royal Game
>It's pretty dark. You can clearly see how much Zweig was suffering while writing this. He's quite an underrated writer if you ask me
>>
>>8526287
Chicago
East of Eden

I can now choose to do whatever.
>>
>>8526675
I picked this up and felt the same. Read 20 pages and i would only read it for a commentary on some of thr characters (ginsberg and co.) but other than that its one big long rambling from an alcoholic, yay
>>
>18
>Brazil
>The Silmarillion
It's beautiful, I'm really enjoying it
>>
Germoney
Secondary lit on Kierkegaard

From what I get he's like a sophisticated Stirner. Pretty cool.
>>
>>8526482
My favorite novel, it has an incredibly compelling ending.
>>
>23
>Texas
>The Recognitions
I'm only like 80 pages in but so far I am deeply ambivalent. The first chapter felt exceptionally well structured and written. The second part with its relentless interpolation of French and fragmentation of perspective hit me like a brick
fucking wall. Not sure how willing I am gonna be to see this thing through to the end.
>>
>>8526287
>18
>Sweden
>storm of steel
>>
File: ruins of beverast semen.jpg (51KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
ruins of beverast semen.jpg
51KB, 600x600px
>>8526287

Victoria, Canada

Borges - Collected Fictions
Best short story writer I've ever encountered. His later works especially, where he does away with any pretense of a metaphysical twist in favour of rock solid narrative structure. Also enjoyed the very short historical fiction biographies of Shakespeare and Homer.
>>
>19
>Brazil
>Ulysses + Inherent Vice + Lacan for college.

Ulysses is really good, but I can't read as much as I want because I'm meeting with someone to discuss it, so we set "goals" weekly.

Inherent Vice is my first book by Pynchon and while it seems good, I guess I expected more? Maybe bought too much onto the hype.

Lacan is Lacan, not much more that can be said.
>>
>>8527432
>Inherent Vice is my first book by Pynchon

There's your problem, later Pynchon is "I need something peppy to sell to the meme kids so that I can buy more weed and disguises."

V -> CoL49-> Mason and Dixon -> Gravity's Rainbow -> Against The Day
>>
>>8526287
>18
>Georgia
>The Plague
I dig it, I'm about half way done with it.
>>
File: 1438442982414.jpg (34KB, 384x367px) Image search: [Google]
1438442982414.jpg
34KB, 384x367px
>23
>Mexico city
>The savage detectives (Roberto Bolaño) and Beyond good and evil (some autist)
>>
>>8526332
Aye. Massachusetts here too (northshore). 24. Currently reading JR. Sixty pages in. It's refreshing. The non-dialogue stuff is beautiful. I'm kind of awe-struck by it. I haven't been exposed to JR himself all that much. Looking forward to getting into the meat of the novel.
>>
File: that funke.jpg (53KB, 625x353px) Image search: [Google]
that funke.jpg
53KB, 625x353px
>>8526287

>21
>Toronto
>In Cold Blood-Truman Capote

I happened to come across a first-print copy of this book in a dollar book cart. Shit's tight. I'm loving the book too, it holds up really really well as far as the storytelling goes!
>>
>25
>San Diego
>Dracula, one of the best horror books I've read
>>
>>8527530
I was always hesitant to get into "True Crime" stuff, but In Cold Blood is fucking great. I think it has a lot of literary merit. I think future true crime writers just saw what he did and tried to make a buck off of it. Obviously it's worked for a lot of people.
>>
>26
>Ohio
>Ecrits by Lacan

Wtf am I reading? Are his lectures better than this? I'm nearly 150 pages in, and not sure if I should keep going.
>>
>18
>Oklahoma
>Crime and Punishment
I'm not sure what to think so far. It's not bad by any means. I just got through Marmeladov's story and I found myself pretty intrigued. Seems like it's going to be pretty good.
>>
Washington DC
The Black Company
>>
>18
>AU
>Murakami's Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

I'm a little over halfway into it and I'm really enjoying it.
>>
>>8527547
If this is your first contact with psychoanalysis it's pretty insane to try and read Ecrits, while it is better than the seminars as it was written by Lacan himself, it is at the same time harder because it was written by Lacan himself. You should probably go back to Freud if you are interested in psychoanalysis.
If you just want to read Lacan I would stick to "Logical Time and the Assertion of Anticipated Certainty" and the introduction of "Seminar on 'The Purloined Letter'" which is at the end of the text, these two are "easier" texts, the second one not so much. You could try reading his seminars in cronological order also but without reading Freud I don't know how much you will get out of it.
>>
>19
>Plattsburgh, NY
>Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev
>The first part was really great, lots of beautiful parts that shone through translation. In the middle, and can't see where things are going.
>>
>>8527612
Thanks anon, I'll read what you recommended. I know some psychoanalysis and am somewhat acquainted with Freud (I was a psych major and read the whole of Interpretation of Dreams 6-7 years ago, that's about it), but I feel pretty lost here. Would I need to have read the entirety of Freud's oeuvre to get this?

I actually was worried about this, having read summaries of Lacan's ideas, but my friend told me he didn't think Lacan was difficult at all and that he'd never read any Freud. I'm starting to think he didn't understand it at all.
>>
21, Alabama and i'm rereading harry potter for the first time in 6 years.
>>
>>8527773
I really, really doubt one could read Lacan without reading Freud and get anything from it. One could say that whole lacanian "way" is essentially reading Freud, almost everything Lacan has to say he gets from Freud and he himself always said that.

While I don't think you have to read everything from Freud before going into Lacan, I didn't, far from it actually, there are some key texts which you would be better off reading, like chapter 7 of Interpretation of Dreams, On Narcissism, Beyond the Pleasure Principle, the first one founded psychoanalysis basically. Besides that there are the cases, which I personally enjoy reading, and whole lot of other good texts The Psychopathology of Everyday Life, Inhibitions, Symptoms and Anxiety, The Ego and the Id, etc.
>>
>age
>location
Mexico
Where the Air Is Clear, this is my first contact with Carlos Fuentes. The plot is convoluted and the language is unnecessarily pompous, but apparently the main protagonist is the city where this takes place rather than the characters.

It's shit and overrated.

>>8527510
Amazing book.
>>
>27
>Maryland
>Europe Central

It's pretty good You Bright and Risen Angel was better though
>>
>20, nearly 21
>Florida
>All My Puny Sorrows by Miriam Toews. I'm on the second chapter, haven't really formed an opinion yet. The prose is nice.
>>
>>8527812
Kys
>>
>>8526287
>18
>Burger
>Das Kapital, pretty sexy, desu
>>
>>8527839

>Maryland

yuck
>>
>21
>Australia
>Brothers K, I've only got about 100 pages to go and so far it's great. I will be starting The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler soon too
>>
>>8526287
> 26
> To The Lighthouse
> Every line has great meter, but I'm bored.
>>

Mein Kampf

Alabama
>>
>25
>Chicago
>Plato's Dialogues while commuting and Marcus Aurelius Meditations while at home

Both are quite enjoyable, I was much more familiar with what i was jumping into with The Dialogues than I was with The Meditations. I quite like how accessible they are and do not understand why they are not more widely read. I can understand shying away from certain philosophers and religious text/philosophy as recommend reading, because the writing styles tend to be hard to engage with, but many of the Hellenic and Roman authors of old were quite easy to understand.

I spend the majority of my time reading essay's and journals though, which often only take at most two days. I like to read long, philosophical, or fiction at a much more leisurely pace whenever I have time
>>
>18
>Pennsylvania
>Crime and Punishment
Unbearably good. Have to stop partway through it now and again to savor it.

>The Glory of Empire
It's immersive but a little dry thus far. I've heard it's supposed to be satirical toward historical writing and if it is, that hampers how much I like it. As a serious fake history it's grand.

>The Orwell Reader
This is for a class, ergo it's pick-and-choosy readings of pieces here and there, but I want to include it. I like some of the essays Orwell has written a lot, but except for "A Hanging" I'd read all the ones I like prior to taking this course. The rest are either boring or socialist and that I can't abide. That's half the book. The other is bloat excerpted from full novels.
>>
>>8526287
>18
>Florida
>Là- bas

Had a very slow beginning, but am enjoying.
>>
File: images (2).jpg (6KB, 196x258px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
6KB, 196x258px
>22
>Los Angeles
>"Time Out of Joint"-PKD

Only 3 chapters in but it'll be the third thing I've read by him
>>
>>8527602
Yeah it's definitely his best. I didn't love every bit of it. But I was standing up for the ending
I am
>>8527984
>>
>>8526287
>20
>sweden
>carson mcullers - members of the wedding - it's comfy and nice i like it
>>
>>8527902
>The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler
entertaining, but forgettable

I read all chandler years ago, and while I enjoyed them all, I didn't find anything remarkable in them
>>
>>8527567
Love that series. Fun books.
>>
>>8527930
(you)
>>
>21
>Alabama
>眠れる美女 (house of sleeping beauties). I like it well enough - I spent all of last year in Japan learning the language, and this is my third novel in the language this year. I haven't been blown away by any Japanese writing, but I'm enjoying it as an exercise at the least.
>>
>>8526287
>22
>Argentina
>Sorrows of Young Werther, he has to be one of the biggest betas in history, good book anyway
>>
>>8526287

>18
>Texas
>The Complete Works of Alexander Pope
really good, I just have to constantly look up words
>>
>>8526494
I'll keep you in my prayers
>>
>>8528122
Hello fellow Texan. How was your day today?
>>
>19
>EE. UU.
>Ulysses. Joyce is god, that's all I have to say.

>>8526312
>Renessaince
What the fuck ?
>>
>>8528152
Oh, and I'm also reading Ficciones in Spanish. It's going very slowly.
>>
>>8526475
I must be in the minority, because I found the first part of the book to be the best. The ending was cool, too. The middle sections were actually my least favorite, with the exception of the hot air balloon scene.
>>
>>8528150
Didn't get to do anything cause college. So meh. Classes went well tho
>>
>18
>Illinois
>infinite jest and stoner

Both are great. Reading stoner as a little break from IJ but I do not plan on giving up
>>
>>8526287
>20
>Mexico
>La tumba
literally poor man´sThe Catcher in the Rye
>>
>>8526893
darkksidebaby777?
bella pure tu su /lit/?
>>
>23
>UK
>Complete short stories of Ernest Hemingway

quite enjoying it, but a few of his stories are duds
>>
>18
>Australia
>Storm of Steel

Pretty fucking good so far
>>
WA
Deadhouse Gates - Steven Erikson
>>
>>8526287

>19
>Toronto, Ontario
>Lolita

Its really great, not only for the fun examination of sexuality and evil and that stuff, but its just really pretty, great writing and top notch description

>Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins

its great
>>
>26
>nomad, from Florida but currently in Tokyo
>Ethics (spinoza)

I like it. I've been reading Leibniz's commentary with it, and also following Deleuze's lectures.
>>
>20
>alaska
>under the dome and infinite jest

>>8528232
plan on giving up on infinite jest or stoner? taking breaks is a great way to read infinite jest though. for me at least.
>>
>20
>Toronto, Ontario
>A Portrait

>Or was it that, being as weak of sight as he was shy of mind, he drew less pleasure from the reflection of the glowing sensible world through the prism of a language manycoloured and richly storied than from the contemplation of an inner world of individual emotions mirrored perfectly in a lucid supple periodic prose?

Right now I'm less than 50 pages out and Oh my god I can't wait to start Ulysses
>>
>18
>Tokyo
>The Bell Curve

Not sure how I like it yet. It'll depend on how accurate its thesis is according to other experts.
>>
>19
>Slovenia
>Ulysses

Hard to read, thinking of giving up
>>
File: 1463699465058.jpg (120KB, 740x737px) Image search: [Google]
1463699465058.jpg
120KB, 740x737px
>18
>Scotland
>Gravity's Rainbow

Ree why does it have to get so hard in the second half it was perfectly comprehensible up till that Pokler zwolfkinder bullshit ree I've been reading it for like two months and my backcatalogue is fucked
>>
>>8526287
>21
>Germany
>Ulysses and an introduction to Hegel
Both are quite fun desu, i like to balance philosophy and literature.
>>
>>8528722
I don't know why i wrote desu. I actually didn't notice me writing it, after i sent it off i noticed it. Sorry.
>>
>>8528719
>20
>Sydney, Australia
>Writing a novel atm

I've found I can't manage the time to read and write something at the same time, I've got maybe 35k words in my novel, it will be finished at maybe a bit over 50k

>>8528719
Off topic, but what is Scotland like? I know it's kinda shit but that's why I want to pay it a visit
>>
>19
>New Zealand
>The Complete Stories by Clarice Lispector
I'm loving them so far, but this is the first I've read of her and I think I dove in the wrong place.
>>
Barcelona, Spain
Essentials of Psychoanalysis, Sigmund Freud

There are a few others that I've partially read and will get back to eventually too
>>
>>8528719
>thom yorke
>backcatalogue
Watch out so you don't die an ugly death from it.
>>
Ontario
Ulysses
Love it immensely. On Ithaca. Sad that my first read through is approaching its conclusion, but I know that subsequent reads will offer more depth than the initial.
>>
>>8526738
Let me save you some time: he's arguing that 'the good' cannot be defined.
>>
Invitation to a Beheading
It's very hard to read, but I like it okay.
>>
MA
Confessions of an English Opium-Eater
I don't often read biographical type stuff, but I really like this.
>>
File: TRIGGERD.gif (722KB, 650x679px) Image search: [Google]
TRIGGERD.gif
722KB, 650x679px
>20
>Frankfurt a.M.
>Game of Thrones
>I DONT EVEN KNOW WHY!!! It's pretty shit. The description of food is the only okayish thing in this whole book until now....
>>
File: tmp_4725-martin-313369334.jpg (45KB, 605x402px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_4725-martin-313369334.jpg
45KB, 605x402px
>>8528903
>The description of food is the only okayish thing in this whole book
Really makes you think.
>>
>>8528777
Thanks, trips of wikipedia.
>>
>18
>saint Augustine
>a discourse on method.
It's taking me quite a while to finish it, as I've been rewriting it in my own words sentence by sentence.
>>
>18
>northern england
>starship troopers

It's pretty good so far, only just started reading it
>>
>>8526405
>>8526414
How difficult is Metro 2033 compared to other Russian books you've read ?
>>
File: 4L_3SQDB0jp.jpg (14KB, 277x179px) Image search: [Google]
4L_3SQDB0jp.jpg
14KB, 277x179px
>19
>Washington State
>Heart of Darkness

p. good. I've read some Upton Sinclair and I think this is sort of similar, although Conrad approaches the whole "social commentary on the zeitgeist" thing from a different genre. BTFOs Social Darwinism decently though.
>>
>18
>Switzerland
>Faust

Well, what's there to say about the most important work of the german language? It's kind of depressing how I compare Fausts struggle to my own: Neither knowledge nor a life of hedonism makes me find any meaning. It's amusing to see how Ghoete kind of writes 'from above' and mocks everything and everybody, including his own former mindset of Sturm und Drang.
>>
Are you guys pleased that so many young people are reading or are you sperging that so much of the board is young?
>>
>>8529508
I do expect myself to be gone from here by around 22-23, it consists as a place to evolve, not to be. The only people who get caught up are the unhappy narcissits.
>>
>>8529508
I think maybe older anons are avoiding the thread on purpose. But at least it's not as bad as /mu/.
>>8529521
your the narcissit
>>
>20
>Montreal
>Notes from the Underground

Pretty good, eerily relatable.
I should have read this before Brothers K
>>
>22
>Utah
>Notes from Underground
>>8526630 same desu. He's a neckbeard that hates normies, and then the second half is garbage
>>
>19
>Munich
>A Season in Hell
>tfw you will never love anyone like Rimmy loved Verlaine
>>
>20
>Brazil
>The Great Game
I'm enjoying it quite a lot, never thought central Asia was so interesting.
>>
>23
>Washington
>Blood Meridian

*spits*
>>
>>8526287
>27
>dc
>if on a winter's night
>fire flame homie
>>
File: tmp_1458-serveimage(7)1504608953.jpg (109KB, 1036x700px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_1458-serveimage(7)1504608953.jpg
109KB, 1036x700px
>>8526494
After you've finished, re-read the first few pages that aren't written from Humbert's perspective. I forgot about them on my first read since they don't become relevant until the end.

>mfw
>>
>25
>California
>The book of the new sun. Its been as good as you all have said
>>
>>8529830
>Munich

R u a gril?
>>
>20
>brazil
>literally finished iliad today. I've read Emerson's Nature today and also will start reading walden & civil disobedience
>>
>25
>England
>Currently reading Homo Deus by Yuval Harari, and an Elon Musk biography by Ashlee Vance. Both are pretty good.
>>
>>8526287
19, Arizona, Solaris.
The concept is right up my alley but I haven't read far enough to have a firm opinion on it.
>>
>>8526689
Where from in NE? I'm currently a student in Nebraska.
>>
>>8528629
I don't plan on giving up on either, but in that context I was talking about IJ. Sorry I confuse
>>
File: 1471901907744.png (30KB, 747x491px) Image search: [Google]
1471901907744.png
30KB, 747x491px
Ireland
The Idiot

giving me some feels
>>
>>8528630
>Oh my god I can't wait to start Ulysses
That's a bad mindset, anon. Ulysses is more impressive in general, but it doesn't quite have the charm of Portrait. Enjoy what you're reading for what it is instead of a prelude to another novel.
>>
File: 12443624672.jpg (778KB, 1280x1210px) Image search: [Google]
12443624672.jpg
778KB, 1280x1210px
>22
>Portland, Oregon
>The Rings of Saturn by W. G. Sebald

I love it, though it seems more like a rambling essay about whatever comes into the narrator's head than a novel. Sebald's writing is heartbreaking.
>>
>>8528719
I don't remember it getting hard after Zwölfkinder. The ending is the only part that was actually difficult.
>>
>>8526287
Pennsylvania
Paradise Lost- it doesn't rhyme
>>
>>8531205

Hunh. I did not find it heartbreaking. I loved it and its blogginess.
>>
>>8526287
>20
>New York
>Metamorphoseon libri, second round through, this time in Lingua Latina. It is a decathlon run.
>>
>18
>Tennessee
Soren Kierkegaard - Fear and Trembling
Donald Trump - Great Again
>>
This board is younger than I expected.
>>
>>8531316

I would have thought those two books would burst into flames if brought into proximity with each other
>>
>>8531324
Assume all the >18 s are underage faggots acting grown.
>>
>>8526287
>26
> Ohio
> Brave New World. I hate it.
>>
>>8531324

>This board is younger than I expected.

i seriously doubt that.
>>
Toronto
The Nix, it's okay. i'm gonna post more about it on /lit/ when i'm done, since someone asked a while back
>>
>>8526375
>White Noise
>bit of a YA feel

You mustn't be that far in
>>
>>8526287

>26
>Mexico
>Los relampagos de Agosto by Jorge Ibargüengoitia

I had a hearty laugh, fuck the Mexican revolution, everyone is a thief.
>>
>24
>SoCal
>Tristram Shandy, it seems great if I could just get into the swing of reading it. The first 50 pages have been difficult. Also fucking jury duty has kept me from concentrating on it.
>>
>24
>Tampa
>The plague

I gotta finish it, man. I loaned it out in june, and have been reading poetry instead.
>>
Mexico
Hesiod's The Theogony

>>8531654
Where from?
>>
It's fucked up how many of the people in this board bitch about the booktuber girl writing a shitty book, when half the motherfuckers here have the same age as her, and probably the same level of experience.
>>
Crime and Punishment
I don't know if it's just the translations or what but I don't like Dostoevsky's writing at all. He seems to just write bogged down serials and his all of his protagonists are just all paranoids that attempt to produce poor philosophy demonstrating their own psychosis and seclusion.
>>
>>8531816
>16
turn away young friend while there's still time
>>
>23
>california
>slaughterhouse-five
>pretty funny/pretty sad. love it
>>
>>8531642
eh i would think lit is a bit older than the average board
>>
>21
>Arizona
>Your Band Sucks by Jon Fine.
What a great read. It really paints a unique picture of the late 80's/early 90's indie rock scene.
>>
>>8526287

> 25
> Venezuela
> From the good savage to the good revolutionary, by Carlos Rangel. It's kinda of a sociopolitical recap of Latinamerica in comparison with de United States, and why has Latinamerica failed and USA succeeded.
>>
>18
>Oklahoma
>Infinite Jest
>Really funny, weird, and insightful (especially relating to ambition and depression). About 250 pages left, will probably be my favorite book I've read
>>
>>8526287
>20
>Washington
>Just finished "The Road,"
I feel empty
>>
>24
>Baltimore
>nothing
I dream of death
>>
>>8530932
Nice Gondola
>>
>>8531759
What translation?
>>
>>8526287
>20
>Vancouver
>One Hundred Years of Solitude, there were some parts I was peeved with but ultimately it's pretty fucking incredible. Also do we hate Fernanda's guts or what?
>>
>>8526287
Des Moines
The Corpse Exhibition, and I currently feel like I'm missing out on an inside joke or cultural reference that's preventing me from understanding what the author's trying to get across.
>>
>>8531284
Maybe it's just the subject matter. Death, impermanence, decay, at least of what I've read so far.
>>
>>8530765
no
>>
>>8526287
>18
>Oxford ;^)
>The Bible
It's fucking awesome. Stylistically, I mean -- I love how dry it is. But, then, I am a boring person.
>>8531339
A good plan. I was eighteen for four years before my eighteenth birthday.
>>8529006
>northern england
My condolences.
>>
>27
>Dumfries
>The Old Man and the Sea, a lot more simply told than I expected it to be.
>>
>>8532524
>>northern england
>My condolences.
you tryin to start something m8?
>>
>>8532639
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AijNCV_JWMs
>>
>>8532639
I'm not trying to start anything.

I'm just continuing it. Of course you're reading genre fiction. And of course it's fascist genre fiction. :)
>>
>>8532804
you'd better start stopping
>>
>29
>South of Brazil
>I recently finished Memoirs of Adrian, by Marguerite Yourcenar, and it was one of the best books I ever read. The novel is almost like a prose poem, but written in a very clear, pure and crystalline kind of poetic diction. The metaphors and the imagery are all quite classical (which is very appropriate, since the narrator himself is supposed to be a very learned roman with a taste for roman poetry and all things Greek); the thoughts are profound, yet not convoluted or complicated: they belong to that sphere of philosophy that is more preoccupied with how to live, how to have a productive existence, how to behave on face of danger, sickness, death and loss, in short, that branches of philosophy that are less complicated. It also deals a lot with beauty, mostly with the beauty of nature, of the human body and the artistic beauty of the poetry, the sculptures, the whine-making and the architecture of Greece.

There are no dialogues in the book and few characters are presented (mostly only shadowy figures as they are perceived by Hadrian himself); almost the entire novel is a long analysis of the Emperor on his life and his obsessions, all sculpted in a marmoreal prose. It is, in my opinion, a sublime hymn to art and the wisdom of common-sense.

I started Nightwood now, by Djuna Barnes, but I am not enjoying very much. I feel that the author have poetic talent, but she seems unable to order it, to model it into form; I am only at the start of the book, however, so I need to deep more into it before judging it.

I am also re-reading the Divine Comedy, reading one canto a day. I don’t like many things in Dante (his character, his way of imposing his own vision of right and wrong upon the world, his lack of empathy, his mostly superficial way of presenting human beings, the lack of boldness in his poetry and the lack of metaphors), but I can’t fail to perceive how great is his use of rhyme, how well organized is his worlds, how much balance and symmetry he was able to conceive, how concise are his verses, how well-chosen are his adjectives, how sonorous is his poetry. He certainly is a giant (although I prefer Shakespeare and Homer to him).
>>
>>8532165
>insightful
share some insights
>>

Germany.

Just finished Kästner's Fabian. I liked it well enough.
>>

US

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

I'm liking it a lot, though the religious parts can be difficult to get through at times.
>>
>21
>TX
>Stoner. Really good, but the fucking wife.......
>>

Sherbrooke, Canada

The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism
>>
>>8534392
Lesen Sie im Englisch, oder Deutsch? VeHaben Sie in Deutsch oder Englisch lesen? Oder vielleicht beides?
>>
>22
>New Hampshire
>Moby Dick
Pretty good so far, although half way through it became a bit of a slog
>Laughter in the Dark
Only a couple pages in but preddy gewd
>>
>23
>Texas
>East of Eden
I really like it, it's very emotional though.
>>
File: 1460416855946.png (280KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
1460416855946.png
280KB, 500x376px
>>8534970
Ich habe es in Deutsch gelesen. Weil Erich Kästner ein deutscher Autor ist.
>>
> 29
> France
> Name of the Rose
>>
18/M/Oslo
>>
>>8526673
I'm starting amerika soon, i've read the trial and pretty much all of his notable stories, how does it stack up?
>>
>19
>New Hampshire
>The Bell Jar, it's okay I guess.
>>
>19
>Poland
>A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
It always feels a bit weird when I come back from reading Barth-like self-parodying, late XX century literature to older stuff, but with Joyce, whichever of his books I chose, it just feels like I'm back to the guy that really gets it. So far I've read Ulysses and Finegans Wake, and I'm enjoying this one a lot.
>>
>19
>Alabama
>USA Trilogy

camera eye sucks
newsreel is cool
socialist biography time is interesting i guess
narrative sections could be better
>>
>>8535058
Good book.
>>
>>8535011
NH represent. Whereabouts? I'm southern NH here, right next to MA
>>
>>8526287
Oklahoma
Slavery by Another Name by Blackmon
And How to Write Science Fiction by Orson Scott Card
>>
> 21
> gravity and grace by simone weil
am trying to understand hella mad jewish christian woman
To be honest, it's interesting as much as reading any human obsessed with smth
>>
D.C.
Sixty Stories - Donald Barthelme

Some of the stories are funny, others are interesting, many are boring, and a few just feel like he's showing off. I can tell DFW took a lot from him
>>
>18
>Florida
>Naked Lunch, loving the absurdity
>>
>>8535423
Plymouth, my friend. What are you reading?
>>
Utah
Valis by Philip k dick.
>>
>>8535011
>>8535423

i am in dc, but live in peterborough for the summers. live free or die
>>
>>8535831
>>8530758
>>8527567
>>8526419

kalorama master race reporting in
>>
Southern New Jersey burbs
The Secret Agent by Conrad
Okay but I would have edited out some adjectives.
>>
Charlottesville VA
Brothers Karamazov
I'm only just into Part 2 but I'm really liking it. I enjoy the range of characters and how it feels to be building.
>>
Pennsylvania
Songs of a Dead Dreamer by Thomas Ligotti

Rereading. Fucking fantastic short fiction
>>
>>8526287
Utah
Picture of Dorian Grey
The dialogue is insufferable
>>
>>8526323
I hate you.
>>
>>8526327
It was hard to get through for me as well and it took some reviewing to fully understand.
It felt like a mix of those issues for me as well, I'd focus on the wrong things and miss the picture or get lost and have to reread paragraphs. The rereading would also make the first problem worse. Still felt good to get through, though, especially since I was 17 at the time and unfamiliar with that type of writing.
>>
>>8531654
Incredible fucking book. I had to read for a school assigment and every godamn page was perfect. Now i re read it at least once a year
>>
>>8535859
Ah cool, I said in an earlier post that I'm reading The Bell Jar. About half way through. It's not bad, but I like her poetry more so far.
>>
>22
>Britain
>Gravity's Rainbow

Mainly thrilled that I can actually follow the plot second time around.
>>
>23
>Scotland
>A supposedly fun thing I'll never do again

I'm surprised the cruise essay is living up to all the praise it received
>>
>>8537035
>Scotland
We call it "Britain".
>>
>>8537109
Maybe down in England you do but not up here
>>
>>8526675
Drop it as I did, it doesn't get better.
>>
>>8527888
kys
>>
La Plata
Sobre Héroes y Tumbas
L'Être et le Néant
Die Blechtrommel
Cuentos Completos 2 (Julio Cortázar)
Kar
>>
>>8537172
"No", I'm pretty sure you call it Britain.
>>
>18
>CO
>mythology by Edith Hamilton

Really makes you think 2bh
>>
>>8537520
Fuck off mate, England is England, Scotland is Scotland, and both are nations within the country of Great Britain.

Either answer is acceptable as both areas are culturally and politically distinct, and you're just being a picky little bitch.

I say this as an English fecker who's last encounter with a Scot involved him tricking me into drinking his urine, so I'm not exactly biased here.
>>
>>8537520
Listen mate I know Andy Murray is doing great and all but get a grip
>>
>20
>France
>Hunger, Knut Hamsun
It's decent+. Puts me in a weird and somewhat dysthymic mood every 20 pages. Also, I might get a tad infatuated with the idea of the character by the end of the book.
>>
England
Letters to a young contrarian - Christopher Hitchens

I like it and it's just shown me Rilke's 'Letters to a young poet' which I'm enjoying reading too.

I always spent too much time playing video games and never enough learning but after a bit of an epiphany I've just grown bored of them.

Can anyone post the /lit/ recommended reading list?
>>
>>8537526
>tricking me into drinking his urine
Tell us the story anon.
>>
>17
>New York
>The Stranger
It's okay. Not particularly exciting and I have no motivation to finish other than wanting to get a new book. I want to like it, but I can't really see what so good about it. Anybody care to help me understand it?
>>
>>8537613
You'll understand when you're older.
>>
>29
>Ottawa
>Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith and Paddy Clarke ha ha ha by Roddy Doyle

Paddy Clarke blew me away for what I expected to be a time waster on public transit, 44 is Orwell/10 - Slavistan Edition, joking aside I was expecting more.
>>
>19
>Southern England
>How Green Was My Valley

Its incredible, but I'm not far enough through it to make a proper judgment on it really. Probably the best coming of age book i've read thus far.
>>
>>8537613
The Stranger is the ultimate portrayal of the consequential man, he who acts as he thinks.
>>
File: dauntless.png (1MB, 1250x897px) Image search: [Google]
dauntless.png
1MB, 1250x897px
>>8526287
>22
>Aus
>The Elephant Vanishes
I love it. like Kafka but more human and fun. like wes anderson vs kubrick.
best story is The Last Lawn of the Afternoon
>>
>>8537667
Murakami, ain't it?
>>
>>8526287
>23
>England
>Knausgaard, Death in the Family (or Mien Kampf to go for the Norwegian title)
Almost finished it, it's a curious read. I'm disagreeing with allot of the authors personal philosophies and the title of the series is hella edgy but i'm not not enjoying it, so i'll give him that much.
>>
>18
>Turkey
>Island by Huxley

Idk. Just started.
>>
>>8537616
That's terrible. What difference will age make? I'm too young to appreciate a good book? I've got experience with loss, and as I'm seeing it, this is mostly about how Meursalt handles the death of his mom, and his thought processes and actions.
>>8537661
Could you tell me how it relates to absurdism and give me a simple rundown? When ever I look the book up, those are all the results I get. I don't really want to read those until I'm done, I'm towards the end of his trial right now.
>>
>>8537672
yeah boy
>>
>>8528733

Parts of it are nice. Like Glasgow has good nightlife and Edinburgh is really worth a visit during fringe.

Most people are drunken fucking cretins.
>>
>>8537548
underrated post
>>
>>8526287
Glasgow
The Face On The Cutting Room Floor by Cameron McCabe

it's pretty fun so far. Apparently the epilogue is the most interesting part.
>>
>20
>Sweden
>Don Quixote
It's ok.
>>
>>8537682
Aight, in simple terms absurdism resumes the life's philosophy of Meursault; which is life's meaning is humanly impossible to understand, if there's any.
Having said that, I find much more value in the portrayal of Meursault as a man who having said philosophy, acts accordingly. Meursault is almost entirely consequential, honest to himself above all. Meursault doesn't bow to society's rules and assumptions, he is only true to his own thoughts.
Rejecting to see his mother's body or saying he doesn't love Marie are examples of Meursault's rebellion against the established, the feelings and acts we are supposed to have and perform, even if they are absurd to us.
>>
>20
>Alabama
>Confessions of an English Opium Eater

It's great so far desu. The prose is excellent.
>>
>24
>Montreal
>Mrs. Dalloway

It's looking to be my favourite Virginia Woolf after The Waves.
>>
>>8526287
>19
>Ohio
>The Electric Kool-Aid acid test
Weird and boring. Would not recommend
>>
>>8526287
>age
31 as of today. Feeling like I don't wanna turn 31 and a day.

>location
Guatemala

I got memed and am stuck reading The Savage Detectives.

... overhyped as fuck. 2666 is so much better, I don't even. Also, this shit was supposed to be much lighter than 2666, and like hell it is.

Though maybe it's just that all the characters are huge unlikeable cunts, and the self-fellating in the second section is just way too much. But I already went through like 250 pages (I'm up to the end of chapter 6 of the second section), so I'm not gonna quit halfway.

Also, god dammit, Bolaño, what the fuck is it with you and full-on roasties?
>>
>>8537761
What kind of nervous gas do they release in the Guatemalan airspace? Bolaño is marvelous.
>>
>18
>UK
>just finished Animal Farm
v good desu, will start Anna Karenina later today
>>
>>8537787
2666 is marvelous.

The Savage Detectives has, at least up to the point I'm in (a bit under the half point), no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Maybe the translator was great and reading the original Spanish version was a mistake. I don't know. Though I also read the original for 2666, and it's just in a whole different level.
>>
>>8526287
>19
>Stratford-Upon-Avon (UK)
>The Alchemist-Ben Jonson
>>
>>8537797
The only case in which I can think of a translator making the original better is the Cortázar translations of Poe. I like 2666 better; but I found Detectives very good and interesting technique-wise.
>>
Mid-Atlantic
Pinball by Kosinski. It sucks pretty hard
>>
>>8532170
ayyyyy same to all
>>
>>8537682
>What difference will age make?
spoken like a true underage
>>
>>8537682
You're probably very mistaken. Meursault truly holds few feelings for his mother, they attempt to come out when he sees Salamano in his lost dog crisis; but the feeling that almost comes out is more about the parent figure, than about his real passed mother.
>>
>>8537805
>I found Detectives very good and interesting technique-wise.
How?

Assuming nothing changes: The first section was bland. The characters are unidimensional as fuck - and when you think they have more than one, you go into the second section and you see them reestablish themselves as unidimensional cunts.

The narrative style is nothing much either. The first section (and I'm assuming the third one too) is just a fist-person, diary style. Even Anne Frank's dad did better. The second section would appear interesting in its approach, but after 6 chapters, it's long grown annoying as fuck. And I have over 20 chapters to go in that section too, god damn it all. And if the "clipping" style of the second section hadn't gotten boring as shit, its subject matter certainly did. If you thought Maria was a Mary Sue, holy fuck does Belano take the cake.

The only reason I can see for this novel to be popular is if you fall in one of these two categories:
1 - faggots who want to "live the literary life" through the characters, except you're much better reading biographies of real authors. Even the most fucked up IRL authors weren't as annoying as the fucking viscerealists. Hell, I'll take Bosie over these niggers any day - or maybe not, maybe they'd just be pretty much the same.
2 - Huge whores who liked feeling validated by Maria Font, and being able to say "oh, even faggots are in love with me". Also, god dammit, Angelica, by the end of the first section I thought you were actually still a virgin, maybe, but then in the second section you go and narrate how Pancho broke your hymen in that party after all. Fucking Bolaño and his love for huge gaping vaginas.

The same can not be said of 2666. Even if some (or most) of the characters in 2666 are unlikeable, there's a few redeeming ones - and even the annoying ones actually have a number of layers. And the technique just can't be compared - 2666 might be humongous, but it reads like water. The Savage Detectives is far from that.
>>
>>8537886
>2016
>Thinking whoring (not cheating) is morally reprehensible.
>>
>age
>location
Vancouver, Canada
The Ambassadors by Henry James and Indian Horse by Richard Wagamese. The former is great and I feel like 1/5th of it is going over my head, but James' prose is god-like. The latter is boring crap that I need to slog through for a course.
>>
>>8537895
Whore or cuck detected.

Also, I don't mind some whores in my literature. But when literally every fucking woman in the book is proudly one... and then the book is also bland as fuck... come on.
>>
>>8537905
>Whore or cuck detected.
This kind of thinking is extremely beta.
>>
>>8537833
Okay. Maybe instead of just calling me underage you should help me understand? I just finished it, and the part where he's yelling at the priest really helped me get the whole concept of absurdism a lot better.
>>8537860
Yeah, I agree. I never believed or said he had much feelings for his mom. He didn't cry at the funeral, and when they were moving the casket he was more concerned about the heat, the sand, and how her 'fiancee' lagged behind the rest of the pallbearers.

Anyway, I skipped over Infinite Jest because my library didn't have it when I picked this up. Should I just move on to The Brothers Karamazov or try to read Jest first?
>>
>>8537912
Whatever you say, cuck/whore.

Though you ARE right (while also being a cuck or a whore). Not wanting to put your genes in as many cunts as you can, and thus wanting as many cunts as can be readily available, IS a beta thing. But I'm not a slave to my primal instincts.

You keep on being a proud whore/cuck. I'll keep on being a proud beta, as I'm an antinatalist who is actively avoiding passing on his genes (ie actively avoiding being an alpha).

You're still not discussing the book though.
>>
>>8537919
Wildly different books. Brothers is more easily read, you fly through the pages, Jest is harder, but extremely rewarding. I'm always reading about four books, because I like to have options according to how I'm feeling at the moment.
I like to have a long book open, a short story collection, a light book (in the sense that it reads quickly like The Stranger) and a dense book (that could also be the long one). You could open Jest, El Túnel by Ernesto Sabato, some short stories like Flannery's A Good Man Is Hard to Find, Cortázar's Final del Juego or something like that, and even Brothers. I don't know if it works for everyone though, it's just how I read.
>>
>23
>Austria
>Die Toten - Christian Kracht
It's a great book about the film industry of the 1930s and 40s.
>>
>>8537927
Not the Anon discussing the book.

I don't know how you got from what I said that I find beta to not want kids (or a minimum). When I say beta I don't refer to the naturalistic concept, but rather to the concept that applies to our society, which is to say, an alpha is a man who doesn't care about the thoughts of others enough to neglect his own reasoning. A man who's not insecure enough to be jealous and needing to own other people. A man who will act upon his wants and tastes even if they're perceived as object for ridicule by society. If the alpha likes being a sexual cuck, then the alpha will be a sexual cuck without regrets. An alpha man doesn't care about irrelevant matters as jealousy or how many dicks has his current mate had inside their body.
You, you are the worst slave to instincts there is, the one who doesn't know. To be uncomfortable with your mate fucking other people is a primal instinct, an unreasonable one.

Provide an argument for why sleeping around is morally reprehensible.
>>
>>8537976
>Provide an argument for why sleeping around is morally reprehensible.
Morals are subjective. From a, say, christian point of view, sleeping around is clearly morally reprehensible.

I'm an atheist and a stoic though, so I can only take a naturalistic point of view, and of course, women sleeping around is also reprehensible from this point of view, for evolutionary reasons from the male point of view - that is, the children of women who have them later tend to be less healthy than those of women who have them earlier, not just for genetic reasons but from possible sicknesses stemming from previous gene exchanges, so as a male, you wanna have the youngest, most virginal mate, to more properly insure the passing on of your genes. It's what's imbued in your instincts for the survival of your species.

But again, I'm removed from that, because I'm morally (see how morals are subjective now?) against having children.

So... in summary, whether being a whore is "morally reprehensible" or not is subjective, because morals are subjective, but being a (obviously female) whore clearly marks you as subpar in your mate's natural instincts.

Also
>long rant about how alphas are proud cucks and nothing else should matter
The alpha and beta titles come from biology. From zoology. From the animals that mate more easily (the alphas) and those who mate less easily or not at all (the betas). That's all.

Inject any other meaning you want to it in order to validate your inadequatenesses. Call yourself an "alpha" with a positive connotation instead of a "cuck" with a negative connotation. You're still a cuck.
>>
>>8537948
I'm def. not going to be able to read more than 2 books at a time. If Jest is there I'm gonna try the first few pages. If it's too bad I'm gonna grab Brothers and something else.
I know this is low quality, but is this still a good list?
>>
>>8538032
>still
wut? Either it is good now or it wasn't good then.
>>
>20
>Germany
>Red Harvest (or "Rote Ernte" in german)

I know, I have pleb taste.
>>
>21
>Malaysia
>The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.

this book is nice and I relate really well with the protag
>>
File: 1474520222094.jpg (67KB, 300x334px) Image search: [Google]
1474520222094.jpg
67KB, 300x334px
>>8537720
>It's ok.
>>
>29
>japan
>pale fire
reading it again for fun, i can't get enough of nabokov.

>>8535130
name of the rose is next on my reading list. thoughts on it anon?
>>
>19
>Texas
>Gardens of the Moon, Steven Erikson. Can't wait to finish it and move on the second book.
>>
>>8538022
My whole point is that naturalistic morals are irrelevant as we have moved beyond that, so the first part of your post is also completely irrelevant.
Christian morals - supremely irrelevant.
We're not discussing sex for the purposes of procreation, so everything you said is meaningless.
Alpha and beta titles come from biology, but since we no longer operate solely in instinct, it doesn't matter. The definitions that apply are the social definitions.

You still haven't provided an argument, from your own world view, for why being a whore is undesirable.

>inadequatenesses
Haven't provided an argument to prove why these things are inadequate.

>cuck

I don't care about words, but rather what they mean. I'm not a sexual cuck, but I don't find it undesirable and much less morally reprehensible.
If you mean cuck as in I don't mind my mate sleeping around (as do I), then yes, I'm a cuck.

I fail to see how cuck and whore are insulting. Although, cuck could be use metaphorically to convey an actual insult, which is to call a person who allows others to harm or «fuck» them, because they're afraid about something irrelevant such as being called a name or being thought of as a particular type of person. A male third wave feminist for example. If you mean that, then I'm not a cuck.
>>
>>8538032
The list is good. There are some very glaring absences like A Confederacy of Dunces and some weird additions like Harry Potter, The Pale King, On the Road, The Bible and so on.
Look, just take it as a list of probably good books, not as a list of things you have to like to have good taste. Never be afraid to drop a book because you don't like it and feel it's not giving you anything; although sometimes it's just that you're not ready at the moment, you pick it up later and suddenly you start to assimilate different things.
>>
>18\
>Vermont
>Feng Shui - An wisdom for Harmonious Living
>Very interesting; it's more focused on the Taoist religious frameworks and geomancy than Western understanding of it.
>>
>>8538134
>My whole point is that naturalistic morals are irrelevant as we have moved beyond that, so the first part of your post is also completely irrelevant.
>Christian morals - supremely irrelevant.
You're the one who brought morals up. I'm explaining that morals are, yes, irrelevant, as they're subjective. But I didn't bring the subject up. I only said that The Savage Detectives can only be liked by whores and "literary life" kiddies who haven't though of reading actual author biographies.

>I don't care about words, but rather what they mean
So what you're saying is, you're a marxist who believes the dictionary should be disregarded so your sophistry can be spouted more easily, right?

>I fail to see how cuck and whore are insulting
So what you're saying is, you haven't read Shakespeare.

>If you mean that, then I'm not a cuck.
Of course you are. Again, you can use any other words to convey a different connotation, but that doesn't mean you're not a cuck.

If you're buying used clothes at full price, you're being taken advantage of.

>You still haven't provided an argument, from your own world view, for why being a whore is undesirable.
But I have.

>>8538022
>being a (obviously female) whore clearly marks you as subpar in your mate's natural instincts.
>for evolutionary reasons from the male point of view - that is, the children of women who have them later tend to be less healthy than those of women who have them earlier, not just for genetic reasons but from possible sicknesses stemming from previous gene exchanges, so as a male, you wanna have the youngest, most virginal mate, to more properly insure the passing on of your genes. It's what's imbued in your instincts for the survival of your species.

This does not affect me as I'm removed from the equation. Sure. Whether your mom is a whore or not does not affect me at all. But it affects her and any future mate (or maybe present mate, but seeing as how you went with the "not cheating" in your first post, let's say she doesn't have a current fixed mate) will have a subpar receptacle for his genes. It also affects you. Makes you the son of a whore you are. But hey, that's no insult, huh?
>>
>>8538186
Shakespeare was certainly wrong about many things, there's good reason for which he wasn't a philosopher but a playwright (not always mutually exclusive).
When I say I don't care about words I mean that concepts are being extremely abused and dictionary definitions matter less. According to a dictionary you're a feminist if you regard males and females as deserving of equal oportunities; but we all know that's not the connotation it has nowadays.

I'd rather explain what I believe or not than using a label as agnostic atheist that can be used to erect strawmen by reductionism. That's what I mean when I say I don't care about words.

>Of course you are.
How?

>not just for genetic reasons but from possible sicknesses stemming from previous gene exchanges
People should test for STDs all the time. Irrelevant.

>you wanna have the youngest, most virginal mate, to more properly insure the passing on of your genes
>But it affects her and any future mate

This is an argument against old women, not against not virgins.

>But it affects her and any future mate
It doesn't. You made an argument against procreating with old women before.

>It also affects you. Makes you the son of a whore you are. But hey, that's no insult, huh?

You obviously tried to make an ad hominem here; but it doesn't work, because being the son of a whore is no insult. I wouldn't take offense if you called me a pedophile son or something similar; I'm not responsible for my parents actions.
>>
>>8538255
Sure thing, son of a whore.
>>
>>8538264

Must feel bad to get btfo
>>
>>8538290
Sure it does, son of a whore.
>>
>>8538294
Not the same Anon. But it's interesting to see someone reduced to a babbling mess.
>>
>>8538391
Sure you aren't, son of a whore.
>>
>>8538400
The eloquence of this one.
>>
>>8526287
Lancaster, CA
Leaves of Grass 1855ed.
The Phenomenology of Spirit
Inferno a Poets Novel
I don't like reading Hegel but his ideas are cool
>>
>>8538426
It's not eloquence. I'm just sucking up to you.

After all, this is like a compliment to you, isn't it, son of a whore?
>>
>>8538452
No compliment nor insult. Utter irrelevance.
>>
>>8526287
Denmark
The maybe Suited by Peter Hoeg, danish book. It's great, half of it is rambling about what time is. I'd recommend reading it, given the translation is decent.

Nice dabbin' btw
>>
>>8526287
>22
>Brazil
>The Jesus Incident. by Frank Herbert and Bill Ransom

Eh, not Herbert's best, it has a very slow start, but the plot is interesting enough.
>>
>>8538452
kek
>>
>>8526287
>20
>Italy
> Liquid Life by Z. Bauman
>It is fucking deconstructing modern society. Although, I think every one already know what he is saying.
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.