[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm reading Tolkien's The Silmarillion, and the very

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: quenta.jpg (66KB, 720x1080px) Image search: [Google]
quenta.jpg
66KB, 720x1080px
I'm reading Tolkien's The Silmarillion, and the very obvious christian themes make me wonder: what is a good annotated version of the new testament? Preferably one that assumes the reader has no previous christian knowledge, while simultaneously not dumbing things down.
I liked Aryeh Kaplan's The Living Torah when I read the torah. Before I read the new testament, I will finish the tanakh, so I still have some time to decide on a version of the new testament to purchase.
>>
>>8526058
Goethe's Faust
>>
>>8526058
>annotated

stop being a pleb, the entire bible both old and new testatment is shorter than Hobbit+LOTR+TT+ROTL+Silmarillion by a significant margin. Shit you could probably throw the Quran in and still not hit Tolkien's wordcount.

If you haven't read the bible you are simply put a pleb because the bible, the Iliad and the odyssey are the fundamental /canoncore/.
>>
>>8526181
Do you know what annotated means?
>>
>>8526181
Annotated means longer. I think you confused that word with "abridged".
Anyways, I OP failed to use the catalog before making this thread. I have however found in
>>8523567
that I should probably get the New Oxford Annotated Bible.
Thank you.
>>
>>8526058

>god promises all humans go to hell because of adam and eve
>god cant renege on promise (because it'll make him look weak)
>creates a human sacrifice named jesus
>when jesus is killed humans can go to heaven.. but only the good ones, the rest still go to hell

And there's your cliffsnotes New Testament. No annotation required.
>>
>>8526058
Thomas Ryrie Study Bible was my first full read of the Bible, and it was pretty good.
>>
>>8526247
>he has a protestant view of Christianity, and a misinformed one at that

shiggy
>>
File: ignatius.png (116KB, 230x345px) Image search: [Google]
ignatius.png
116KB, 230x345px
Literally this. The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible. New Revised Standard Version Catholic

https://www.amazon.com/Ignatius-Catholic-Study-Bible-Testament/dp/1586172506
>>
>>8527907
Why is it better than New Oxford?
>>
>>8529111
It isn't.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.