[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why start with the greeks and not with the beginning? The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: gilg.jpg (41KB, 371x515px) Image search: [Google]
gilg.jpg
41KB, 371x515px
Why start with the greeks and not with the beginning? The Sumerian myths.
>>
>>8525522
Because everything the Mesopotamians wrote is horribly terse and short and pretty much devoid of any literary (as opposed to historical/anthropological) merit.
You can't blame anyone for skipping them and starting with the Vedic Aryans instead.
Even the Egyptians- who were writing things of interest centuries before the Sumerians- were better stylists- much more æsthetic art and writing system too. And the literary gap from them to the Greeks and Hebrews is still enormous.
>>
Did people even have those available for most of western history?
The point of "start with the greeks" isn't in order to satisfy some kind of chronological autism, but to read the common literary heritage of western civilization. The Epic of Gilgamesh was discovered in the 19th century, so it's not gonna be referenced and assumed in the majority of the "Canon".
>>
>>8525566
They influenced the bible. The bible's a big deal in the common literary heritage of western civilization.
>>
>>8525566
REDISCOVERED

people knew about it
>>
>>8525566
Ah I see

So because we discovered this Epic too late, we should not start with it? How is Gilgamesh compared to the Greek myths in your opinion?
>>
>>8525584
you can read gilgamesh in like 20 minutes
>>
>>8525584
I'm not saying it's not worth reading obviously, it's interesting. But it's dumb to get bogged down in tracing influences because you'll never be finished with it, and I doubt most people have the willpower to get through every important work of ancient and medieval literature. It's fine to just start with Homer.
>>
>>8525522
>he doesn't start with the myths of apes
>>
>>8525604
He came to 4chan didn't he
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.