[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

""""Classics"""" I should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: movieposter.jpg (31KB, 279x402px) Image search: [Google]
movieposter.jpg
31KB, 279x402px
Ever since just after my Redwall phase, I realized that I could get away with not reading pretty much everything assigned to me for class. So I went through middle school, high school, and most of college doing that, finding reviews/analyses of popular works online without actually reading books.

Then a combination of /lit/ and post-college angst snapped me out of it -- I've been reading a whole lot to make up for lost time, including the /lit/ memes along with other relatively high-brow/literary stuff. However, it seems like I'm missing out on some basic foundation, having not read all of the "classics" we were supposed to in high school. So I've started inserting them into my queue to read alongside some of the longer books that I'm sunk into.

TL;DR - What high school-tier books are worth reading now, even if I'm not in high school, in order to have a wider foundation for understanding more serious literature?

>pic related, I just finished this book.
>>
>pic related
But that is not worth reading if you are not in high school...
>>
>>8524311

There's not a high school in the country that will give you a good foundation in the classics. Students are so distracted by technology I would be amazed if an English class had its students read even 500 pages in a year.

HS books include To Kill A Mockinbird, The Great Gatsby, a Shakespeare play or two if you're lucky, etc.
>>
>>8524324
Eh, it was at least quick. And that's entirely why I'm asking - I don't want to waste time on the ones that aren't worthwhile, but I figure there are at least some of those books that are good to have read for background into various literary eras, and for common-ground communication reasons.
>>
File: 1454099853929.jpg (54KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1454099853929.jpg
54KB, 720x540px
Also, OP here again. I have read these, either recently or back when I was in school:
>Catcher in the Rye (recently)
>Member of the Wedding (recently, and actually good)
>Lord of the Flies (didn't get much out of it since I was in 8th grade)
>Hamlet (9th grade english, and we read the modern-english prose version :/ )

On my near-ish radar:
>The Odyssey
>Macbeth
>???
>>
>>8524311
>t . quentin
>>
Dune
>>
The Road - Cormac McCarthy
Of Mice & Men (fairly short)
The Old Man and the Sea (even shorter)
>>
>>8524335
In my English III AP (American lit) class of three years ago, we read several Faulkner and Hemingway short stories, The Catcher in the Rye, The Scarlet Letter, Huckleberry Finn, The Great Gatsby, The Sound and the Fury, All the Pretty Horses, and various other novels.

In my English IV AP (british lit) we read like every fucking piece by Shakespeare, Brave New World, Grendel, and a lot of short stories.
>>
Crime and Punishment
Don Quixote
The Stranger
>>
>>8524620
I wish my highschool had us read Dune
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.