[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>In a meeting at the Loft Literary Center, Minneapolis, in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: John_Green_in_Minneapolis.jpg (3MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
John_Green_in_Minneapolis.jpg
3MB, 2592x1944px
>In a meeting at the Loft Literary Center, Minneapolis, in 2008, when asked what differs good authors from bad authors, he replied, "Time and space, the colors of the seasons, the movements of muscles and minds, all these are for writers of genius (as far as we can guess and I trust we guess right) not traditional notions which may be borrowed from the circulating library of public truths but a series of unique surprises which master artists have learned to express in their own unique way. To minor authors is left the ornamentation of the commonplace: these do not bother about any reinventing of the world; they merely try to squeeze the best they can out of a given order of things, out of traditional patterns of fiction. The various combinations these minor authors are able to produce within these set limits may be quite amusing in a mild ephemeral way because minor readers like to recognize their own ideas in a pleasing disguise. But the real writer, the fellow who sends planets spinning and models a man asleep and eagerly tampers with the sleeper’s rib, that kind of author has no given values at his disposal: he must create them himself."

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>8524167
Just a bunch of inane blather.
>>
Sounds similar to what Roderick talks about in his first televised lecture about Socrates. Paraphrasing, but he speaks of the rise of Socrates to be partly a product of time. The ancient Greeks of Homer's era never questioned the meaning of courage as it was self evident. The genius of Socrates could only be present in a time when the meaning of all Athenian society was being questioned in the wake of a misguided war and tyrannical overtake of the state. Everything was under revision so it set the stage for revolutionary figures.
>>
>>8524167
Its sad people here actually believe Green said this
>>
>>8524199
Yea, the transition of Homers pre classical Greece, with its economic crisises, widespread famine, and incessant and aimless warfare, to classical Athens and the foundations of what would become natural philosophy, later modern science, was a total step down.

Socrates was a fraud looking for the nature of justice and what defined the perfect state. We were robbed of a present where priesthoods and oracles still determine the ways of kings and their kingdoms.
>>
>>8524167
He only pretends to be retarded.
>>
>>8524219
Somehow I knew he didn't, but I have no idea where its from
>>
>>8524167
it's Nabokov
>>
>>8524167
>posts something he claims was said by an author whose critique of literature /lit/ largely disagrees with

>o wait haha ruse it was actually said by a different author whose critique of literature /lit/ largely disagrees with
>>
There's no way this is Green. For him to say this, out loud, publicly, would be for him to inadvertently admit to being a mediocre writer of minimal accomplishment. Also I highly doubt he would talk in such a poetical way. Nabokov seems more likely.
>>
>>8524167
I wish I could come up with shit like this on the fly in interviews.
>>
>>8526234
It's Nabokov. It's always Nabokov.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.