[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so the real reviews are in..... and they aren't good. welp

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

so the real reviews are in..... and they aren't good. welp what did you expect? i went to pick my copy up and exchanged it for J R, good move?
>>
>>8523871
I haven't read (or even started) Jerusalem, but am in the middle of JR right now and am enjoying it. Though I do find it quite taxing to read so it is taking me a while. I've probably taken 10 or so days just to read the first 250 pages
>>
>>8523871
what negative reviews? reader reviews or professional?
>>
>>8523900
reviews aren't bad in either case, actually. OP is just baiting with a "I take my opinion from reviewers" number
>>
>>8523900
professional
>>
>>8523891
>I've probably taken 10 or so days just to read the first 250 pages
I kind of wanted to read that book, but this is making me reconsider.
>>
J R is a great book
>>
>>8523923
It's not that hard. You just need to get used to the rhythm it follows, which doesn't happen for some people.
>>
>>8523871
>Moore has divided Jerusalem into three main sections, and each could stand alone as a novel unto itself, yet together they form something extraordinary.

The Washington Post

not sure if TWP review means anything, but a cursory research suggests there are as many negative as positive reviews. eh, i may give it a read one day, but i'm quite busy at the moment reading established authors of the Western Cannon. almost done with Pynchon and still needs to read a handful of latter Faulkner before this.
>>
>>8523936
I suppose it has that in common with Ulysses, and most other canon books for that matter. 250 pages in ten days is about the speed of my Spanish reading, though, so it doesn't seem worth it for an English novel. I probably will end up reading it at some point, though.
>>
>>8523948
>>8523923
i find it odd you guys correlate the speed in which you read with the quality of the work being read or even your understanding of it. why would anyone put off reading a novel if it takes longer to read than another? excuse me if i misread or misunderstood what you guys said.
>>
>>8523948
250 in 10 days is just that one poster. I read the whole thing in a week. Ulysses was a lot harder.
>>
>>8523923
I am a pleb so take my pace with a grain of salt. And I do really like it, I just wish I could not get "stuck" while reading it so much.

My friend who has read it told me that I shouldn't be trying to actually figure out who specifically says every line, but just follow with the natural cadence of the group conversations
>>
>>8523948
JR isn't nearly as dense and difficult as Ulysses. I'd argue that it goes by faster than most classics of that size because you're supposed to read it in the rhythm of natural conversation. That's not to say it's simple or that there aren't interesting details or things to analyze, but you're not really supposed to read everything ten times like you would with Ulysses.
>>
>>8524003
how can you guys not tell are you retarded. every character has a distinct way of talking. there's never more than 5 people all talking together. everyone takes turns talking and people say each other's names all the time.
>>
>>8524010
Yeah, there are a couple of confusing moments like when Jack introduces Stella as mrs DeCephalis to Amy, but it's pretty clear most of the time.
>>
>>8524010
Like when Warry is talking to Warry.
>>
>>8524010
>"see it all the time at the corporate level"
>"doing a very fine job"
>"God damn...God damn...God damned"
>"Mr Cohen"
>"no but see hey holy, HOLY"
>>
>>8524893
hey HOLY, I love gaddis now
>>
>>8524008
>ten times like you would with Ulysses
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.