[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

She broke one of the biggest rules in all of writing: never use

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

File: MTE1ODA0OTcxMzcxNTYyNTA5.jpg (20KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
MTE1ODA0OTcxMzcxNTYyNTA5.jpg
20KB, 300x300px
She broke one of the biggest rules in all of writing: never use adverbs.
How did she get away with such amateur mistakes?
>>
cause she's a shit writer that's why
>>
File: 6779494.png (52KB, 160x238px) Image search: [Google]
6779494.png
52KB, 160x238px
>>>/k/ys
>>
>>8523016
>How did she get away with such amateur mistakes?

easily and profitably
>>
>>8523016
>rules of writin

Shes a hack but youre a tool.
>>
>>8523016
>one of the biggest rules in all of writing: never use adverbs.
Nah
>>
>>8523016
go stretch your legs hothead
>>
>>8523016
And your example of a famous author who never used adverbs is...? And before you say Hemingway:
"Romero’s bull-fighting gave real emotion, because he kept the absolute purity of line in his movements and always quietly and calmly let the horns pass him close each time."
>>
>>8523091
stretch your legs stretch your legs stretch your legs
>>
>>8523016

Stretched legs
>>
>>8523016
Never is an adverb chump.
>>
>>8523016
a bunch of 14 year olds fell for it, so what?
>>
>>8523221
Fuck Hemmingway.
>>
>>8523016
The guys who wrote her books did it intentionally, to support the narrative that she wrote her books.
>>
There's nothing wrong with adverbs. They're better than the pages and pages of boring description you see in highbrow meme books.
>>
>>8523274
What is there an actual conspiracy that a man wrote her books for her? Is there any evidence for this?
>>
>>8523407

Some guy on /lit/ said it so it must be true
>>
People choose to write children's books.
Why?
>>
>>8523407
The lack of evidence proves there's a conspiracy
>>
They're kids' books; adverbs make them more colorful.

Also that's just sort of how she writes. Big whoop.
>>
>>8524262
Do you know how rich that bitch is?
>>
>>8524507
I work for a publishing house and we are expected to discard submissions if they use a single adverb with a dialogue tag.
>>
>>8524810
No wonder only shit is being published. Virtually no classics would have been published if all publishers had followed this rule.
>>
>>8524810
dumb
>>
eight year olds go fucking mad for adverbs
>>
>>8523221
>Hemmingway
>"good"
lol, the sun also rises is literally Eating at restaurants and drinking: The Book
>>
>>8524262
Youre an idiot
>>
>>8523016
Holy shit /lit/ is for retards. I am going back to /b/
>>
>>8524907
Go boldly
>>
>>8524262
Because there's a giant industry around children's reading programs. They're the largest consumer of books.

It's like video games. After 30 you become disenfranchised as fewer developers focus on you.
>>
>>8524837
Try again: you missed the point of my comment to a degree that's quite breathtaking. People often cite Hemingway as the champion of ultimate stripped-down prose and no adverbs. I posted a Hemingway quote with two adverbs to head that off. If you knew what an adverb was, or had ever read Hemingway, or even knew how to spell his name, you might have had a better chance of basic comprehension. How you thought I was claiming anything about him being a good writer is beyond me, as I never used the word "good," despite you putting it in quotation marks. Do you consider "famous" and "good" to be close synonyms? Are you drunk? Were your parents closely related?
>>
>>8523016
>actually thinking community college creative writing classes make the rules

show don't tell, right buddy?
>>
>>8525491
>Were your parents closely related?

damn
>>
>>8523221
Let me break it down for you.
OP: "How did she get away with such ***amateur*** mistakes?"
You: Hemingway used adverbs, too!

Your post implies Hemingway is anything but amateur himself.

You:
>>
File: ppepe.png (660KB, 1106x1012px) Image search: [Google]
ppepe.png
660KB, 1106x1012px
>>8523016
is th-this actually a rule?
>>
>>8523016
Slowly is one of the best words and completely redeems adverbs in my eyes.
>>
>>8523016
8/10. basic bait with a good implementation and nice choice of subject matter.

>>8523059
9/10. points for brevity.

>>8523221
10/10 exceedingly perfect in every possible way. a sacred post. looking upon it cleared up my skin, sharpened my prose, fed starving children, enlightened the world. truly the work of a top-level bait layer.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.