[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there anyone who wrote their first great novel or short story

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

Is there anyone who wrote their first great novel or short story past the age of 25?
>>
If there is or isn't, it doesn't mean that you can't anon!
>>
>>8522232
Oh fuck nigga is that some Ceylan
Hell yeah
>>
>>8522232
Based Kierkegaard
>>
>>8522232
Flaubert was nearly 30 when he started Madame Bovary and well over 30 when he finished

but you aren't Flaubert
>>
Writing has more to do with how much youve read rather than how old you are. Since we read less today and also since writing has less prestige (gotta work a job in your twenties) I imagine most novelists who are good wont start writing until their thirties or later. Dont keep measuring yourself because you have nothing worthwhile to say when you're young anyway even if you're an intellectual wanker.
>>
>>8522232
Irvine Welsh was like 30 odd when he started writing trainspotting, his first book
>>
>>8522284
I meant that maybe they start writing young but dont become a novelist proper until their thirties or later
>>
File: IMG_0478.jpg (14KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0478.jpg
14KB, 259x194px
Gasbro.
>>
>>8522294
He asked for things that were good.
>>
File: Black-Rabbit.jpg (37KB, 336x407px) Image search: [Google]
Black-Rabbit.jpg
37KB, 336x407px
>>8522232
Richard Adams was in his 50s when Watership Down was published
>>
Depending on what of Orwell's you respect (which might be nothing) you could say he only started when he was like 35 with Homage to Catalonia. Animal Farm was when he was over 40.
>>
>>8522232
That's a comfy house, too bad his female isn't very handsome.
>>
>Charles Bukowski was 50 when his debut novel was published
>Michel Houellebecq was 38 when his debut novel was published
>Jack Kerouac was 28 when his debut novel was published
>Thomas Wolfe was 28 when his debut novel was published
>Ivan Goncharov was 35 when his debut novel was published
>Thomas Pynchon was 26 when his debut novel was published
>Joshua Ferris was 33 when his debut novel was published
>John Updike was 26 when his debut novel was published
>Paul Auster was 25 when his debut novel was published
>Joshua Cohen was 27 when his debut novel was published
>Philip Roth was 26 when his debut collection of short stories was published
>Flannery O'Connor was 27 when her debut novel was published
>Harper Lee was 34 when her debut novel was published

And so on.
>>
>>8522232
Dante, 28.
Flaubert, 30
Houellebecq, 28
Tartt, 29.
>>
test
>>
>>8522647
for what?
>>
Saramago was 60 when he published his first great novel, and most of what he wrote after was much better than what was before.
>>
>>8522616

ahh its almost like you can train the brain all your life! how terrible, we have no excuses for failing!
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.