[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone read this? Going to have to read it for a class soon and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: White-Teeth-book-cover.jpg (46KB, 400x613px) Image search: [Google]
White-Teeth-book-cover.jpg
46KB, 400x613px
Anyone read this? Going to have to read it for a class soon and some of the details I know about it have me wary
>>
>>8521233
Are those details that it's written by a nonwhite woman who talks about race and immigration?

It's a great book
>>
>>8521261
More that I find I generally dislike stories about immigration. You can only say "I feel bad because I left my homeland and this new place isn't like my homeland" so many times.
Not that that's what this HAS to be, it's just a detail I'm wary about, like I said.

My professor is also beginning to talk about feminism and marxism and blah blah muh /pol/ opinions.
>>
>>8521267
You must have read some poor ones then.
>>
Zadie is not a very good writer and only gets attention because she is female and black
>>
>>8521373

(Wew)
>>
>>8521373
>Zadie is not a very good writer and only gets attention because she is qt and a friend of DFW
FTFY
>>
>>8521454
>No one (including me) have read any of Zadie Smith's work. I am only making a rash decision based upon my racist and misogynistic bias
FTFY
>>
>>8521373

Yes, I feel the same for Don Dellio, he only gets respect because he is white and male, his prose sucks, he don't have anything worthwhile to say, his characters are like cut out of cardboard and are generally lifeless and lacks passion and act accordingly to his whims, he has not control over his writing, write lengthy digressions and rehashes same plot of life and death again and again, without anything worthwhile to say.
>>
>>8521482
>he only gets respect because he is white and male,

IMHO it's because Americans are obsessed with finding 'The Great American Novel', the big thing that captures their garbage lifestyle, and DeLillo writes novels that are obviously in pursuit of that 'ideal'. They love him for that and hope he legitimizes the US.
>>
I've only read snippets, but it seemed pretty funny and readable.

It was a Booker prize winner, so it will at least have a certain level of quality, whether you think its the right level or not.
>>
>>8521233

She proved that a young black woman could write as boringly as an old white man.
>>
>>8521312

They're all poor ones. I just don't care.
>>
>>8521478
"qt and a friend of DFW" isn't a race
>>
>>8521478
Why does no one use the word mysogyny correctly?
>>
>>8521610
Because women are worthless whores
>>
What did ya'll think of NW?
>>
>>8521651
Didn't enjoy it as much as On Beauty or White Teeth but found it better than The Autograph Man. Maybe I need to reread it though, as I read it when I was younger, and much more of a casual reader.
>>
>>8521267
If you're only looking for writers to tell you a new story every time you open a book then most literature is probably going to be lost on you. The "reading for the plot lmao" meme is of course hyperbolic, but plot really shouldn't be your primary concern. The difference between your average disaster movie and White Noise is Don Delillo's skill as a writer.

I find Caro's biographies of Lyndon Johnson rewarding even though I don't *like* stories about the political maneuvers of nerdy Texans. It's Caro who makes them worth reading, and I think Zadie Smith can do that for you too if you set aside your own identity politics.
>>
>>8521482
what a supreme bait.
>>
Read White Teeth, really loved it! Smith is a stupidly precocious author... inspires a lot of envy. Watch some of her interviews: whip-smart girl.
>>
>>8521233
Read it. Very cinematic feel. Follows three generations. Reminds me of Dickens in the way the lives of two families intersect.
>>
I actually read it. I enjoyed the first part but little after that. I couldn't recommend this book, and I enjoy almost everything I read.
>>
Had to drop it after the pre-requisite scene where the characters have a long, conspicuous discussion about the theme of the novel. It's just a crafty, boring turd.
>>
>>8522099
>I enjoyed the first part but little after that.
Her later work is a little more consistent. You might enjoy something like On Beauty more...

>I enjoy almost everything I read.
...however you are clearly a pleb.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.