[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was it autism? No doubt this is the most visually splendid o

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1020297203.jpg (111KB, 580x833px) Image search: [Google]
1020297203.jpg
111KB, 580x833px
Was it autism? No doubt this is the most visually splendid of Hamlet adaptions, but Branaugh is absolutely awful in both how he directs dialogue and how he delivers it. It's all extremely self-conscious, all the lines are delivered like small town production, they're over-the-top and oratory at times. After watching Laurence Olivier's and even Mel Gibson's renditions of Hamlet, this guy comes off as awful, as if he's reading poetry before an audience at some family reunion, as opposed to being the part of the person he's portraying. And the way he makes the other actors deliver their dialogue is just as bad, the ghostly whisper of Hamlet's father is so off-putting and destroys the actor's capacity to naturally express himself, and Ophelia talking to Polonius about Hamlet sending her the letter is soap opera tier.

Again, this guy has an excellent eye for the visual, for unfortunately, he's completely autistic about the dialogue, which is kind of the point with Shakespeare. Heck, he for some reason he felt it required include every piece of dialogue for this play even those Shakespeare himself cut. Why? This isn't even a play, it's a film, and thus the dialogue ought to be heavily cut in order for it to work with visual storytelling. The film Coriolanus, the one with Fiennes, is an ideal example of Shakespearean play turned into film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TArNqebm_Gg

This guy's Hamlet, by comparison, is terrible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjuZq-8PUw0

Compare with Gibson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf2TpWsPvgI

It completely blow Branaugh's vanity production away
>>
>>8520719
more Hamster hhaha
Just kidding.
>>
>>8520719
Olivier's Hamlet is the best I've seen on film. Maybe the best Shakespeare adaption

His Richard III was also excellent. Haven't seen the 90s one but it got good reviews so I was thinking about watching it tonight
>>
>>8520757
It's solid. No one can compare with Olivier, of course, but it's still very good and a unique interpretation
>>
>>8520719
Branaugh had that great Henry V speech though.
>>
>>8520847
Nah, it's awful, it sounds like British Football speech to the lads. It only works because of the music

This is what a good rendition looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHia1zu_YNI
:
>>
>>8520861
Why the hell did they cut that speech?
>>
>>8520861
>This is what a good rendition looks like
That was fucking disappointing.
>>
>>8520861
Naw, man. That's dry and nasal and weak
>>
>>8520861
ok i agree the branagh one gets a HUGE boost from the music but holy shit this is a terrible counterexample
>>
>>8520861
What the fuck are you on about m8? Everyone knows Branagh's Henry V is the best adaptation
>>
two problems: soap operas aren't inherently bad and

>it's a film, and thus the dialogue ought to be heavily cut in order for it to work with visual storytelling

is just plain wrong. there is no 'ought to' in art
>>
>>8520719
>It's all extremely self-conscious

It's fucking Shakespeare
>>
>>8520861
>Johnson in the background
As I recall he does fine in this, but dammit, to me he'll always be Johnson.
>>
>>8520719
how did you get the exact opposite of what makes sense out of this
>>
I thought it was quite good actually
>>
File: MARK.png (38KB, 128x144px) Image search: [Google]
MARK.png
38KB, 128x144px
>>8520861
What this Shakespeare adaption needs is a kick up the arse so hard, my foot'll go right up Hiddleston's digestive tract and wiggle out his mouth like a little leather tongue.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.