[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's some metrically interesting poetry? I'm a student

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (73KB, 438x712px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73KB, 438x712px
What's some metrically interesting poetry?

I'm a student composer. Rhythm has always been my weakness, except when I set poetry to music. Tennyson particularly has been great for this, I've found. I don't want to write another art song right now, I'm just looking for something to draw rhythms from.
>>
>>8516598
This website is pretty interesting if you would to practice scansion. Go to the hardest difficulty setting and you'll find some bizarre metres
http://prosody.lib.virginia.edu/
>>
>>8516617
>scansion
>prosody
So those are the terms for this sort of this.

This is really cool, actually, thanks.
>>
>>8516598
Yeah Tennyson is one of the best, a meteical virtuoso. Maud in particular.
>>
>>8516598
Gerard Manley Hopkins
>>
>>8516598
I started writing a response but ended up suggesting a whole boatload of poets which I love. I'll cut it down to a shortlist and suggest you check out:
Shakespeare (obviously, the undisputed master of English prosody. Read "Shakespeare's Metrical Art" if you're interested)
Gerard Manley Hopkins (inventor of something called "sprung rhythm", inspired by Anglo-Saxon alliterative metre which he thought better fitted the English language than classical-inspired iambics. Read The Windhover and Pied Beauty)
Hart Crane (I don't know much about American poets, but he's one of them who I think of as having a particularly muscular metre)
>>
Swinburne, Hopkins, Coleridge
>>
>>8516617

what the fuck I think I'm a retard now, I couldn't get the third line of the hardy poem
>>
Btw I should add that Shakespeare actually puts a lot of songs into his plays. The ones mad Ophelia sings in Hamlet, or in his most lyrical play, the Tempest:

Full fathom five thy father lies;
Of his bones are coral made;
Those are pearls that were his eyes:
Nothing of him that doth fade,
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.
Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell:
Ding-dong.
Hark! I hear them,—ding-dong, bell..

One other poet you might want to check out is A.E. Housman, who was inspired a great deal by these songs in Shakespeare.
>>
Thanks for the suggestions. Seeing that everyone recommended Hopkins guess I have to start there, rather interesting.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.