[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.nationalbook.org/index.h tml Longlist is out. H

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: national-book-award1.jpg (86KB, 300x310px) Image search: [Google]
national-book-award1.jpg
86KB, 300x310px
http://www.nationalbook.org/index.html

Longlist is out.

Has anyone read any of these? The blurbs seem pretty unengaging and I haven't seen coverage of any of these previously.

Fiction
Chris Bachelder, The Throwback Special (W. W. Norton & Company)
Garth Greenwell, What Belongs to You (Farrar, Straus and Giroux/Macmillan)
Adam Haslett, Imagine Me Gone (Little, Brown and Company/Hachette Book Group)
Paulette Jiles, News of the World (William Morrow/HarperCollinsPublishers)
Karan Mahajan, The Association of Small Bombs (Viking Books/Penguin Random House)
Elizabeth McKenzie, The Portable Veblen (Penguin Press/Penguin Random House)
Lydia Millet, Sweet Lamb of Heaven (W. W. Norton & Company)
Brad Watson, Miss Jane (W. W. Norton & Company)
Colson Whitehead, The Underground Railroad (Doubleday/Penguin Random House)
Jacqueline Woodson, Another Brooklyn (Amistad/HarperCollinsPublishers)

Non-Fiction:
Andrew J. Bacevich, America’s War for the Greater Middle East: A Military History
(Random House/Penguin Random House)
Patricia Bell-Scott, The Firebrand and the First Lady: Portrait of a Friendship: Pauli Murray, Eleanor Roosevelt, and the Struggle for Social Justice (Alfred A. Knopf /Penguin Random House)
Adam Cohen, Imbeciles: The Supreme Court, American Eugenics, and the Sterilization of Carrie Buck
(Penguin Press/Penguin Random House)
Arlie Russell Hochschild, Strangers in Their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right
(The New Press)
Ibram X. Kendi, Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America
(Nation Books)
Viet Thanh Nguyen, Nothing Ever Dies: Vietnam and the Memory of War
(Harvard University Press)
Cathy O’Neil, Weapons of Math Destruction: How Big Data Increases Inequality and Threatens Democracy
(Crown Publishing Group/Penguin Random House)
Andrés Reséndez, The Other Slavery: The Uncovered Story of Indian Enslavement in America
(Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
Manisha Sinha, The Slave’s Cause: A History of Abolition
(Yale University Press)
Heather Ann Thompson, Blood in the Water: The Attica Prison Uprising of 1971 and Its Legacy
(Pantheon Books/Penguin Random House)
>>
>>8511711
National Book Award is one award that I don't think is entirely shit.
>>
>>8511711
None of the fiction titles seem interesting.

Turbo-pleb core.

They'll give to a woman, I guess.
>>
>women on the list
Bullshit like this is why I can't get published
>>
>>8511732
I think that the Association of Small Bombs looks somewhat interesting, but may or may not be on that cusp of post-colonial literature that comes across as whining.
>>
>>8511737
Seems interesting, but how would it be better than Mao II?

Only the non-fiction book on big data and the prison uprising seem interesting. The rest is just safe flavor-of-the-month pandering.
>>
>>8511741
>The rest is just safe flavor-of-the-month pandering
I have to agree, the amount of catering to african americans and the hand wringing american left is pretty jarring
>>
>>8511741
Very little is going to be better than Mao II, desu.

Whitehead is going to win. He's been around awhile.
>>
>>8511762
That is the only one ive seen reviewed anywhere, but when I read:

>Now, in his new novel, The Underground Railroad, Whitehead returns to his childhood vision of an actual locomotive that carries escaped slaves through tunnels. The book follows a 15-year-old slave named Cora...

D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D

I just cant suffer through this type of shit anymore after 4 years of literature courses. I dont even have a problem with black authors, i love african lit stuff, but fuck.
>>
File: johnsasmugbastard.jpg (10KB, 324x278px) Image search: [Google]
johnsasmugbastard.jpg
10KB, 324x278px
>>8511734
>>
>>8511762
>Oprah's book club
>black author
>about slavery

Definitely a shoo-in for all the wrong reasons regardless of quality.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.