[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it necessary to experience significant suffering to be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: 1472778182977.png (160KB, 343x315px) Image search: [Google]
1472778182977.png
160KB, 343x315px
Is it necessary to experience significant suffering to be a good artist?
>>
>>8510469
Being a great artist is inherently great suffering so yes
>>
>>8510469

Not necessarily suffering, just significant boredom. You have to be bored by everyone and everything humans have made. That boredom can make you suffer if you're not balanced as a person.
>>
No. You just have to work extremely hard. Work ethic is everything.
>>
File: 1356811429941.jpg (240KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1356811429941.jpg
240KB, 600x600px
being a great artist is suffering
>>
>>8510490
Theres no such thing as a great artist with a good work ethic
>>
>>8510490
work = suffering
>>
>>8510469
His expression looks like that one pic of Virginia Woolf in that screenshot. Also they both killed themselves.
>>
>>8510517
I wonder if making that exact face somehow gives you the conviction to suicide yourself, like some sort of code word

I'll try doing it in the mirror
>>
>>8510499
You may think you're baiting me, but you're only baiting yourself.
>>
>>8510556
He's right though. The best artists are all self-indulgent slobs.
>>
for an artist that deals with suffering, sure. for art in general? no, don't be fucking stupid
>>
>>8510575
>>8510556
Someone like Michelangelo surely must have worked painstakingly hard to perfect his craft. You don't become that good at something by being lazy. Self indulgent, perhaps, but not lazy.
>>
>>8510591
Michelangelo was a craftsman, not an artist.
>>
>>8510591
Exactly. The world doesn't shift into place around you to give you the things you want. You have to nurture your craft. Daily.
>>
>>8510469
WHY IS EVERY THREAD HERE ABOUT FUCKING DAVID FOSTER WALLACE WHAT THE HELL KIND OF ALTERNATE DIMENSION DID I WANDER INTO
>>
>>8510596
Art began in crafts when people discovered their ability to transmit ideas. Any artist is also a craftsman. To call Michelangelo just a craftsman is silly. He wasn't making fucking saddles was he?
>>
>>8510625
Though I have to say I wasn't saying lazy people can't be great artists, that would be moronic.
>>
>>8510625
eh

He might as well have been assembling IKEA furniture
>>
>>8510604
He's a funny meme man who did the goofy faces in an interview, and I think maybe he wrote books too

When will /lit/ have its own equivalent to Baneposting?
>>
>>8510630
And any great artist concerned with suffering may as well have been having a crywank. It's the craftsmanship that shines through in the end. I do understand that this is, in our time, is challenged and I can sympathise with that school of thought to some degree.
>>
>>8510469
No, but it helps.
>>
>>8510469
No, you can also write from mental disorder
>>
>>8510499
Get a clue, bozo.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.