[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just listened to a lecture on power and ultimately turning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

I just listened to a lecture on power and ultimately turning into political-philosophical commentary about Brexit by the boy himself, Slavoj Zizek. It can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtfe4tfOoDM

The takeaway is that postideology is the removal of the mask between the ruler and the subordinate, a demystification that stands to depress and destroy the subject more than empower them despite common belief to the contrary.

I then took a smoke break and Pink Floyd was stuck in my head. Putting a few thoughts together, I just wrote this, and I'd like to have a genuine discussion on the concept. As for how this is /lit/ related, this song is a piece of poetry, Slavoj references stories in his own explanation of this and is an author, and y'all can easily reference other literary works as examples for or against (e.g. Ulysses as a piece of literature revealed the specters of modernism, that our hero might be a cuckold within our ideals).

Anyway, queue my short rant:
So you think you can tell? Where are our heroes?

Watergate didn't cool down the heat of the Cold War, the proxy murder-suicide of ideology. It was at this very moment that the power of power came to be known in popular music, though it wouldn't be written about in detail for some time in contemporary philosophy.

The song itself is commonly interpreted to have a dual meaning (or maybe just one meaning tied to sentiments of a past relationship, a fatalism-in-ideal if you will): Roger Waters was caught up in sacrificing his own artistry and individuality for the lifestyle (drugs, sex, and rock 'n' roll) that required him to submit himself to the faced specter behind the music industry, but Roger also wrote in a lament to his 'lost' friend and fellow musician Syd Barrett, the image of the olden times now coated in a dusty layer of legend.

There is a third meaning present, a synthesis of these two more obvious ones: the wastelands of life after ideology, a concept that is now frequently referenced. There exists a crisis of larger identity, an ahistorical void of larger-than-oneself, of belonging, the singularity of individualism. The singularity swept across the nation in the form of political protests against Vietnam or for women's/minority rights, a rabid search for causes that ultimately ended in the powerful still being powerful through the same means they normally used, but this time, even worse, they removed their masks, removing the distance between us and them. This very visible prison we now inhabit is the crushed spirit of man, much opposed to the romanticism and altruism of fighting for a greater cause in a war ("Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in the cage?"). The realization and demystification of it all left the Cold War as a terribly apparent scramble for power.
(cont'd)
>>
File: 1438384135387.jpg (197KB, 1100x828px) Image search: [Google]
1438384135387.jpg
197KB, 1100x828px
>>8508803
(cont'd and final part)

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year, / Running over the same old ground. / What have we found? / The same old fears. / Wish you were here."

So we thought we could tell, but the people that were telling us stopped making sense and suddenly we realized that we couldn't tell ourselves much. They revealed themselves to be just as us, lost souls swimming in a fish bowl and nothing's changed except the illusion is gone. We are here, and here's a crisis that used to be concealed, that we're in a hyper-artificial world, this fish bowl, hinging on external actors for survival but usually denying such a thing while the getting was good.

There is a trace of optimism, however, in the sentimentality of the song: friends and family, the very trace of a god in humans, love, can never be demystified. We'll never be able to be told about the joys of love, nor will we be able to tell others about it, and here we have found ourselves a Sun in the Desert of Postideology.
>>
>>8508803
Don't care for leftist nonsense.

My heroes are hitler, Schopenhauer, Elliot Rodger, and breivik
>>
>>8508809
>Don't care for leftist nonsense
>closed off to intellectualism strictly because it presents a different worldview

I'm not a leftist, but Slavoj is a potent culture-critic and philosopher. It says a lot about you that you only addressed the first buzzword in the post though, couldn't even make it to the more advanced memes.
>>
>>8508818
>entertaining leftist beliefs
>while the West is being rid of whiteness

It's 2016, I know
>>
>>8508822
>>8508809
This person is so mad about /pol/ shit on this board that they have been shitposting unfunny sarcastic /pol/ shit in every fucking thread for on and off for months

Jesus Christ dude, you're actually shitting on some guy's thread that he put effort into. Fuck off already. You may have some kind of paranoid disorder if you can't browse a forum without constantly having invasive thoughts about how the resident boogiemen disagree with you and need to be spited at all costs. You're getting innocent effortposters caught in your crazy crossfire, and the /pol/ shit you're trying to spite doesn't even notice you.
>>
>>8508803
Are u related to Dennis Hopper by any chance?
>>
>>8508835
trolled hard
>>
>>8508835
All leftist are mentally ill
>>
>>8508803
>>8508808
Holy shit, smart posts on /lit/. I'm turning this into pasta, brb. You will be immortalized in /lit/ history after I spam these in every slightly relevant thread.
>>
>>8508809
/pol/ is failing as a containment board.

>>8508803
I'm really not sure your third meaning is accurate insofar as actually what Waters intended for the song. I like the parallels you draw between your observations and certain lines in the lyrics. I'm not sure if you're trying to discuss the effect certain organization-of-society ideologies have on populace governed by those ideologies, or if it's supposed to be a condemnation against this "current order" of the world today. Or, if this is just strictly an observation you've had relating the effects of Vietnam/the Cold War on Baby Boomers/Traditionalists and in specific Roger Waters. Can you clarify/explain?
>>
OP here
>>8508835
tyty I'd have taken more offense to him if he put even a bit of effort in
>>8508837
Not too familiar with Dennis Hopper. I'm just another literary hopeful.
>>8508852
Another instance of the Flying Spaghetti Monster dictating our identities on the Board
>>8508880
I think the writing is mostly just a cynical analysis of a piece of culture, an extension of a lecture that you watch and leave feeling deflated--you're presented with a problem but not a solution.

I definitely do not think Waters was conscious of this sort of displacement that the world was going through on a philosophical level, but I do think that him reflecting on how he felt and his own experience lends itself to later theory about how his experience was a bit universal among the West at this time.

Idk if that exactly answers your question, but there you go. This is just culture critique.
>>
>>8508822
I know ur shit and have no capacity to understand the nuances of anything past the current left/right/cuck/kek environment, but ZIZBOY is a nationalist, not a deluded liberal of your world. So to state "while the West is being rid of whiteness" as some sort of discrediting mechanism is actually somewhat funny, as ZIZZY is against cultural diversity and the erosion of established tradition in the name of globalization and sentimental 'feel bad for the immigrants' arguments that you referenced. And to save your valuable time, not a leftist, actually pretty far right.
>>
>>8509015
>Zizek is a nationalist
HAHAHAHAHaHahAhHahHahHahAhBabHah
>>
enough commie shit, god (—___—)
>>
>>8508808
>We'll never be able to be told about the joys of love
Evolutionary biology is doing a pretty good job at this but apart from that I have to ask, why so pessimistic about demystification anyways? Why do you think we are all in a prison? Does not compute.
>>
>>8509061
Evolutionary biology doesn't touch a trace of humanity as we experience it, and the last effort to synthesize this science and humanity led to the most atrocious war crimes in history. Evolutionary biology can't explain sacrificing oneself, which we humans have done plentifully and for many causes.

Tell me, anon, have you ever touched a breast? Hot damn, they're great.

>>8509055
>implying there was any 'commie shit' in the original post or in the entire hour-long lecture I linked.
>>
>>8509055
Zizek is not a communist
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.