/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

anyone here working as a technical writer? ill be starting next

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: 1472229498918.jpg (103KB, 986x670px) Image search: [Google]
1472229498918.jpg
103KB, 986x670px
anyone here working as a technical writer? ill be starting next month, if it was good enough for The Pinecone, its good enough for me
>>
>>8508486
Wow, I want her tits in my ass
>>
>>8508486
It's a miserable job. I worked as a technical writer for Freightliner for about two years and it was wretched.
>>
>>8508522
what was wrong with it? what are you working now?
>>
I have a lot of questions if you have time, I'm thinking about going into this. Currently a English Major with CSE minor. Where is this job? Did you go to college/ what is your degree in? Any prior experience needed?
>>
>>8508486
MOMMY
>>
File: 1472547930182.jpg (69KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1472547930182.jpg
69KB, 540x540px
>>8508532
OP here, im in Eastern Europe, but the company ill be working for is German and seems to be a big deal - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_AG

I have some background in hardware/programming languages. I was looking for a job which will help me practice my English writing, and pay enough to support me while im currently studying Mandarin, so I saw the job ad and said fuck it. I guess the liked me during the interview, and they actually offered a lot of shekels (about 3 times the average salary here).
>>
>>8508527
It's just soul sucking and monotonous to the point that it will get depressing. You'll see what I mean

Also, now I'm working to get a Master's in Engineering
>>
>>8508486
Does it require 'technical knowledge' or just good writing/reading skills?
>>
>>8508706
I think the most important skill is to know how to describe something complex in simple terms. Technical knowledge you can always pick up later on.
>>
>>8508576
What were their requirements? Did they ask you to provide any sample texts?
>>
File: 1473740604663.jpg (243KB, 1200x1009px) Image search: [Google]
1473740604663.jpg
243KB, 1200x1009px
>>8508777
>Did they ask you to provide any sample texts?
Nope. I went on two interviews, the first one was about 1 hour of talk, and another 1 hour for writing. In the first part of the test they gave me a few scenarios to pick from, in which you need to explain a process to an non-tech savvy end user (how to order a book online, how to send email etc.). The second part of the test I was given two short passages from real technical documentation and was asked to re-write them so that they are in active voice and are more clear to understand. The second interview was again about 1 hour of talk, and the day after it I got the job.
>>
>>8508486
mona thicca
>>
>>8508519
lmao, nigga you gay
>>
>>8508486
yes, i'm a technical writer. contractor, not full time.
was there anything you wanted to know?

>>8508532
i'll answer from my own perspective

>Where is this job?
i'm based in the UK but i work around the EMEA region. i was in Dubai a couple of weeks ago.

>Did you go to college/ what is your degree in?
i don't have a degree but i have several technical qualifications, certifications etc. most of them only serve as filler on my CV.

>Any prior experience needed?
i started out as a software engineer. most of the stuff i write is pretty technical so it helps.
>>
Good websites for this and can I work at home? I have a puppy I take care of so I can't really get a traditional job, plus I have aspirations of her being SAR which will need flexibility that won't come from a normal job.
>>
>>8511292
you could probably find piecework from sites like upwork.com but they pay peanuts. they're ok if you just need a bit of pocket money though.
>>
File: maxresdefault29.jpg (80KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault29.jpg
80KB, 1280x720px
Everyone checks them out.
>I literally have no idea what this thread is about
>>
File: 1472043245868.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1472043245868.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>8511282
OP here, that sounds pretty cool with the traveling part. Did you work full time before switching to a contractor? Are you only working on software projects, is it easy to get jobs for technical writing in other areas? How much money are you making exactly?
>>
Fuuuuck I wanna play those bongos
>>
>>8511726
>Did you work full time before switching to a contractor?

yeah, i was a permie for years. i kind of regret not becoming a contractor earlier. but, my biggest customers now are a company i worked with when i was a permie, so it was still useful for building contacts etc

>Are you only working on software projects,

yes, pretty much, although that covers a pretty wide spectrum and it's always changing.
i have had discussions about writing documentation for other areas like aerospace engineering but it's pretty far outside my area of expertise. when i read documentation i can tell when it's been written by someone who doesn't really know what they're talking about and i don't want people to think that about my stuff.

>is it easy to get jobs for technical writing in other areas?

do you mean geographical areas or work areas?
if geographical- yes, if you have a good reputation and can pick things up quickly. i subscribe to job alerts from various job sites and there are always jobs from companies in europe, the middle east etc. asia is a bit more difficult unless it's a multinational. i haven't worked in the US since i was a permie.

as for work areas, it's generally easier to move from one area to another in intermediate stages.

>How much money are you making exactly?

it varies. the standard rate i look for is £400 per day (+ expenses of course). generally the more technical or niche something is, the higher the rate. for example anything to do with security tends to pay more. i have accepted lower rates if something looks interesting. for example a while ago i did a job for a university for about half my normal rate just because it looked fun. overall it's not a way to get rich but it beats working hard.
>>
>>8511885
thank you for the informative reply
>>
>>8508486
them mcadoodoos tho
>>
how tits feels? ;_;
>>
>>8512000
salty milk and coins
>>
>>8508486
what manuals did Pynchon write? Are they part of his canon?
>>
>>8512000
bags of boiled spaghetti la
>>
>>8512000
pizza dough
>>
>>8513157
He wrote some manuals for Boeing jets or something like that. Someone's posted them here before
>>
>>8508486
tiddies
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.