[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I never read novels because I get bored easily, and I read about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 374233.jpg (45KB, 310x475px) Image search: [Google]
374233.jpg
45KB, 310x475px
I never read novels because I get bored easily, and I read about this book in an Umberto Eco book, and turns out I really liked it! Anybody know similar books?
>>
Not similar, but have you considered other books by Calvino? Short stories?
>>
>>8507072
Haven't read a book quite like it, near the ending I felt it became a mix of Borges and Philip K. Dick. Anyway, it's basically a Borgesian idea that is actually worked out (Borges refuses to work them out in novel-form and instead writes about them in an abstract manner). You can try to read him, starting with Fictions. Or try some Philip K. Dick, but don't expect a similar, metafiction, experimental structure. Other (metafiction/experimental) titles: Pale Fire, At Swim-Two-Birds. If you enjoyed that you can try Petersburg by Bely, but don't start with that.
>>
>>8507072
Read Perec's Life a User's Manual. I didn't love Calvino and Borges, but I love Perec, and he is very clearly influenced by them. Imagine a more melancholy and human but also inhuman version of Borges/Calvino. You'll love it
>>
>>8507072
T H E N E W Y O R K T R I L O G Y
>>
>>8507577
Yeah, I finished this a few weeks ago. Good rec. Paul Auster wrote them. Good stuff.
>>
File: Calvino.jpg (202KB, 1149x1100px) Image search: [Google]
Calvino.jpg
202KB, 1149x1100px
At the risk of being obvious...
>>
Hey all, this is OP, thanks for the answers!

>>8507151
Yes! But I see they're not in the same style. I still wanna read The Rampant Baron/Baron in the Trees, but just out of curiosity.
>>8507159
I actually have got that Borges in spanish but never got around to reading much. Ill get on with it. Phillip K. Dick, never heard of him but I will look it up. Thanks for all the suggestions.
>>8507236
Very cool. I actually kind of looked into it last night cause a Goodreads review mentioned Perec being in a collective that did some kind of analysis of the Calvino novel. I'll get on to it.
>>8507577
>>8507608
Awesome, Ill get into them too.
>>8507878
Hahah, nice dude.
>>
Anyone here read Cosmocomics? I read the first story and was a little bored by it. Just wondering whether there are gems in there.
>>
>>8508208
Yeah, Perec and Calvino were all part of the Oulipo collective, where they discussed how to write their autistic puzzle books and jerked it to Borges. Perec is the way to go though. His writing makes you realize the futility and beauty of melancholy. His use of lists is so unique, and more powerful than I ever could have imagined. Read it first mane
>>
>>8508226
The first story is stylistically different from the others as a whole, but that doesn't mean you'll like them better
>>
>>8508226
I did. It was a bit too silly. And most stories are somewhat fun/ interesting for 2-3 pages, when the concept of a story is introduced, but it quickly got old and then you're left bored for the remainder of the pages.
>>
Keep reading Calvino and Eco
>>
Try Roberto Bolano. I'm reading 2666 right now and remarked to a friend how it makes me feel the same way If on a winters night a traveler did.

2666 may not be the best place to start with Bolano, but if you feel like you were able to handle Winters Night problem-free I'd say 2666 is a very reasonable incline slightly upward in confusing plot structure. You can probably handle it, and would enjoy it.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.