[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this book still worth reading? I'm already familiar with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: american-psycho-book-cover.jpg (279KB, 744x1138px) Image search: [Google]
american-psycho-book-cover.jpg
279KB, 744x1138px
Is this book still worth reading?
I'm already familiar with other transgressive literature. I also enjoyed the film, watched it like 5 times.
>>
>>8504074
It's an OK book. One of the rare books that the movie adaptation is better than the book. Ellis is a cock too so best not to fund his retarded lifestyle.
>>
>>8504097
Yeah, I don't really know much about Ellis, but he seems like a fag hack. Book is only OK, I'd say don't bother.
>>
No. It's an edgelord book for Milo fanboys.
>>
>>8504111
>edgelord

opinion dismissed
>>
>>8504074
Its alright, gave a very insightfull look on how a madman thinks. I would read it if you have nothing else to read.
>>
>>8504097
I thought the complete opposite, the movie was a lot worse in my opinion, and I couldn't enjoy it after reading the book.
>>
>>8504820
But Bale's performance was top notch.
>>
Its funny.
>>
It's pretty good. Read Glamorama after.
>>
>>8504111
/thread
>>
It's fine, it's like the movie but turned up two notches.

>>8504761
This wasn't what it was about.
>>
>>8505520
>This wasn't what it was about.
Right. It can only have one meaning (which - of course - is yours).
>>
>>8505530
Why do people say the whole novel is a daydream or a delusion? Nothing in the book hints at that and such themes are realistic given the materialism of wall street.
>>
>>8505538
No clue. I haven't read it, nor seen the movie. But I would say that it can be on a lot of things, which depends solely on the reader.
>>
>>8505538
>Nothing in the book hints at that

Wew lad
>>
>>8505538

it makes very little difference one way or the other. annoyed when people get hung up on a minor plot detail when the book is a character & social analysis
>>
>>8504097
Pretty much my exact opinion on American Psycho.
The film works as a campy dark comedy, whereas the book is decent but drags on for too long. By the end it's basically just masturbation.
>>
>>8505610
Whether or not it's real is intentionally left ambiguous but the fact that this guy found the possibility unthinkable indicates his mental retardation.
>>
>>8505643
It's not even intentionally left ambiguous.
>>
>>8505581
Easton literally said it in an interview you wewladding faggot. Fuck you.
>>
>>8505657
>turning a meme I employed into a verb

Just kill me now
>>
>>8505530
Correct.
>>
It's a great book and definitely worth your time. Better than the movie.

I prefer Glamorama, Ellis' best, but this one prepares you for it.
>>
>>8505538

Because Ellis himself adopts that position: “American Psycho was a book I didn’t think needed to be turned into a movie. I think the problem with American Psycho was that it was conceived as a novel, as a literary work with a very unreliable narrator at the center of it and the medium of film demands answers. It demands answers. You can ambiguous as you want with a movie, but it doesn’t matter — we’re still looking at it. It's still being answered for us visually. I don’t think American Psycho is particularly more interesting if you knew that he did it or think that it all happens in his head. I think the answer to that question makes the book infinitely less interesting.”

https://web.archive.org/web/20100624060251/http://clatl.com/culturesurfing/archives/2010/06/19/1534716-bret-easton-ellis-talks-film-adaptations-at-scad
>>
>>8505767
>Ellis himself adopts that position

By which I mean that he adopts the position that we don't know whether "he did it or ... it all happens in his head". So the possibility that it is not real was apparently present from the conception of the novel.
>>
>>8504074
yeah it's worth reading. shit is hilarious.
>>
>>8505679
>not knowing what a verb is

Kill me first.
>>
>>8505784
True, I thought it was funny
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.