[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't novellas or short books popular? I really love

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

Why aren't novellas or short books popular? I really love the short, intense 50-100 page stories. Enough room to make a great story, develop characters, and read it in one day. Am I the only one who likes this?

And do you have any suggestions? Any good novellas?
>>
because nivolas are better
>>
>>8503512
Because most readers feel ripped off by anything that isn't 500 pages minimum.
>>
yeah i like short stories because you can see what an author is really about in one sitting, rather than investing a week or more. its like watching a movie instead of watching multiple seasons a tv series.
>>
I never read books with more than 300 pages.

And I don't like to follow tv series, so >>8503653 might be onto something.
>>
>>8503512
Publishing companies think/thought bigger books = more sales.
Now books usually have 100-200 pages of filler crap.
James "I don't even write them myself" Patterson tries to bring back the novella.
>>
>>8503677
>Now books usually have 100-200 pages of filler crap.
I just dont understand how this mindset happens, if you are being a discerning reader and use the big Reviews and keep an eye on foreign press there are endless amounts of new literature to read, to say nothing of non-fiction.

There have always been piles of shit with a few gems mixed in, even in the 19th century.
>>
i think 150 pages is enough to develop a character and a story. sure, some books can be 500 pages without lame filler shit. but books don't need to be big.
>>
By Night in Chile is an excellent novella. Bolaño's novellas in general are great. Amulet is superb.
Really most of Bolaño's writing is a lot of smaller stories loosely connected and kind of making a larger story out of the pieces.
>>
>>8503512
The girl who loved tom gorden is good novella written by stephen king, i know the whole name reputation but it honestly suprised me how much i enjoyed it. Can't go wrong with the classics ala animal farm, old man and the sea, a clockwork orange.
>>
>>8503512
Almost everything by Chuck Palahniuk is a novella and they're all amazing and pretty popular as far as modern literature goes.
>>
>>8503512
Idiots think they're being ripped off if they don't get as much volume as possible for their buck.
>>
>>8503512
The Call of the Wild
Heart of Darkness
Of Mice and Men
The Metamorphosis
The Hellbound Heart
>>
>>8505681
>Chuck Palahniuk
>all amazing
>>
>>8507483
Grendel
>>
>>8503512
Bartleby the Scrivener is my favourite novella.
>>
>>8507485
>disputing a opinion with opinion
>gives no actual argument
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.