[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Lord of the Rings so impossible to read? I've been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: lotr.jpg (108KB, 635x440px) Image search: [Google]
lotr.jpg
108KB, 635x440px
Why is Lord of the Rings so impossible to read?

I've been chewing my way through the first book and it's honestly got to be one of the most boring things I've ever read. Is it just because I already know the story too well?

Maybe all the fantasy tropes have just been so overused that it seems cliched to modern readers.
>>
If you only watched the movies you dont know the LOTR story
>>
>>8503217

It's because you're an adult.
>>
because it is suppose to be world building at first if you think you know it then approach it you will come into conflict
clear your mind of previous constructions and begin again
>>
>>8503222
Yeah, I already know that huge amounts of the books were cut out for the films, and now I see why.
>>
>>8503233
Having watched the films first

The books > the films

But if you cant appreciate more nuanced characterization (and that top tier prose) then obviously LOTR will feel stale. Tolkien has a command over the English language that few authors ever reach.
>>
>>8503217
Read the Silmarillion then, or Children of Hurin.
>>
I admit, at first reading it felt like hard work, but after about 150 pages I got used to the prose, and it started to feel pretty comfy.
>>
>>8503217

I have the benefit of having read the books first. I experienced something similar reading Dracula. I was just overwhelmed with this sense of having already experienced the story a hundred times over.
>>
because you are a modern youth kid which comes with ADHD and if someone doesnt die or gets raped in a page you consider it boring
>>
>>8503368
kek'd
>>
File: 1467811581035.gif (2MB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1467811581035.gif
2MB, 750x750px
>>8503368
I fear that may be true.
>>
>>8503217
The first 2/3 of fellowship is admittedly a slog.
If you can get through that, everything after is pure magic.
>>
>>8503368
That's it. I read LOTR first when I was 11, and it blew me away. I never felt like I was "slogging" through anything. That was long before the movies, of course.
>>
>>8503328
Do not read the Silmarillion. If lotr is boring you you will hate it. Try the hobbit first it's shorter than both and doesn't spend as much time world building.
>>
Because you're not in the right mindset to read lotr. You need to be in a whimsical exploration mood . One where you dream of discovering a new world or dreaming that you took part of a shipping vessel that traveled across the seas fighting of pirates. I take it you're a sort of a woman where all that preoccupies your mind is food and material matters.
>>
>>8505187
>I take it you're a sort of a hobbit where all that preoccupies your mind is food and material matters.
FTFY
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.