[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this a good book? I just started reading it. Are there other

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: 1450052568514.jpg (2MB, 1936x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1450052568514.jpg
2MB, 1936x2592px
Is this a good book?
I just started reading it.

Are there other books similar to this that /lit/ would recommend?
>>
>>8502740
We're redpilled here, kid.

Take your atheism and leftism back to plebbit, sweetheart
>>
Embarrassing tier bookshelf material. Just slap it next to your copy of Fight Club and forget about getting laid.
>>
>>8502744
Believe it or not there are a lot of people on /lit/ who don't see the difference between lefty edgelords like OP and aut-right edgelords like you.

You were both angsty blank slates in high school, it's just someone else got to you first.
>>
>>8502744
>>8502747
Thanks
see you guys later
>>
Why I Am Not a Christian - Bertrand Russell
>>
>>8502761
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Would you recommend the physical copy?
>>
Ironic that the ones being dicks about a simple question are the ones who are supposed to have someone judging their actions
>>
>>8502769
implying the people dismissing this book are all christians
>>
>>8502769
Global rule 16 forbids recommendation threads outside of containment
>>>/wsr/
>>
>>8502769
>>8502775
Guys, I just want something to read.

>>8502784
>Global rule 16 forbids recommendation threads outside of containment
>>>>/wsr/

> Check the wiki, the catalog, and the archive before asking for advice or recommendations, and please refrain from starting new threads for questions that can be answered by a search engine.
I'm pretty sure this thread is okay, the wiki only lists this same book under General Non-Fiction and there aren't anything in the wiki that is like it, I believe.
>>
>>8502740

Serious answer: no, it is not a good book.

Just to put my cards on the table, I am a practicing Catholic. However, even assuming atheism were true, Dawkins is not any good, and there are much more intelligent and learned atheists. He essentially has no understanding of theism or any of the thinkers he's disagreeing with.

If you want to read philosophy, and the question of whether God exists is ultimately a question of philosophy, then read actual philosophers. Don't read someone who brags about how ignorant of philosophy he is.

Like I said, I believe in God, so I'd rather people not be atheists at all. But I'd rather people be atheists after understanding the issue than that they be atheists because of ignorance and sophistry.

Here's a piece by an actual philosopher explaining some of the problems with New Atheists such as Dawkins.
http://www.aei.org/publication/the-new-philistinism/
>>
>>8502792
I'm practicing Buddhism and I seriously just want something to read and learn.

>http://www.aei.org/publication/the-new-philistinism/
Thanks for this one
>>
>>8502740
Chesterton's Orthodoxy.
>>
>>8502809
Thanks. I'll check this out as well.
I guess this is enough recs for now. I easily get overwhelmed.
>>
>>8502812
Just remember that Orthodoxy (and other Chesterton if you end up interested) is easily available for free online if you don't mind reading from a screen.
>>
>>8502792
>Catholic
Why?
>>
>>8502820
I'm fine with either.
I rarely go out nowadays so I'll try to read it online first.

Thank you.
>>
>>8502821
Trust me, I'd much rather spend my time getting wine-drunk and looking up pictures of naked ladies. I just have the unfortunate luck of believing that it's true.
>>
>>8502834
Belief is not base on luck. It's based on choice.
>>
File: image.jpg (42KB, 490x405px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 490x405px
>Serious answer: no, it is not a good book.
>I am a practicing Catholic.
>>
>>8502834
love the way you think, anon. Very intriguing.
>>
>>8502842
I have the bad luck of having chosen to believe in the Catholic Church.

>>8502855
I see you've already mastered the Dawkin's style of argument.
>>
>>8502865
If it's bad then why do you choose to believe?
>>
>>8502865
Is Dawkin's a memester as much as Bill Nye or something for that statement to be said?
I don't really follow.
>>
>>8502865

Whatever makes you feel better, schizophrenic
>>
File: 4728EyckAdorati_00000004348.jpg (121KB, 575x323px) Image search: [Google]
4728EyckAdorati_00000004348.jpg
121KB, 575x323px
>>8502821
Why does anything exist? Why do we exist? Why do we naturally seek the good for ourselves and others? And what is the ultimate and perfect expression of the Good?
>>
>>8502893
>Why does anything exist?
Idk

>Why do we exist?
Idk

> Why do we naturally seek the good for ourselves and others?
Not always

>And what is the ultimate and perfect expression of the Good?
A positive attitude and well lived life
>>
>>8502897
ideology
>>
>>8502877
>Is Dawkin's a memester
He invented the whole theory of memes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tIwYNioDL8
>>
>>8502865
What happen to the dinosaurs?
Serious question.
>>
>>8502740
Nah, it was written after he became Mister Edgy Rant. His early biology stuff is way better.
>>
>>8502834
>I just have the unfortunate luck of believing that it's true.
Don't know why but I find this hilarious
>>
>>8502897
"If we turn from Christ today, we turn only towards the god of absolute will, and embrace him under either his most monstrous or his most vapid aspect."
>>
File: 1461451753236.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
1461451753236.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
>>8502927
>>
File: TheSatanicBible.jpg (6KB, 180x298px) Image search: [Google]
TheSatanicBible.jpg
6KB, 180x298px
>>8502740
This desu
>>
>>8503030
>similar to God Delusion
You have to believe in God to believe in Satan, it's just really edgy "dark side" Christianity.
>>
>>8502791
Start with three greeks
>>
>>8503036
>I don't know what LaVeyan Satanism is
>>
>>8502937
https://youtu.be/TmVYfQX4xRE?t=2
>>
>>8502875
I didn't say it's bad, I said it's true. Bad is easy to resist, what the hell am I supposed to do against true?
>>
The only decent academic athiest work Ive come across is The Miracle of theism by Mackay and to a far lesser extent the book "Arguing for Athiesm"

Most of the other books ive come across including the god delusion are absolute garbage written by people who are vastly more eloquent than than insightful (much like CS Lewis).

Dawkins book is literally deceptive in its misrepresentation of Aquinas.

Just because someone is skilled in one area doesnt mean they are skilled in others
>>
>>8502765
Confirmed b8 thread
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.