[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've only just realized that I've experienced the same

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: gaddisrecognitions.jpg (225KB, 800x1238px) Image search: [Google]
gaddisrecognitions.jpg
225KB, 800x1238px
I've only just realized that I've experienced the same reading pattern with a lot of my favourite books (at least, the books which I now acknowledge as my favourite):

I'll read the first 100-or-so pages, become bored or tired or lazy, and then drop it for weeks or months, only to return to it later, better equipped and invigorated, and read through to the end.
Have I tapped into some secret of reading, or can the books themselves be judged as "growers not showers"?

For reference, this has happened to me with Don Quixote, Gargantua and Pantagruel, Tristram Shandy, JR as well as pic related.
>>
>>8499360
this happened to me with my favorite book too, OP. Suttree, I powered through the first time when I was a dumbass and didn't understand shit, then reread it and alas, it is my favorite.
>>
>>8499360
hey bud, i like you, all those books, same problem, currently on 150 of g&p, and just finished my 100th of JR a few weeks ago. i'll come back to em, just like every other god damn thing.
>>
File: 1472800832158.gif (358KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
1472800832158.gif
358KB, 300x169px
>>8499361
Weird i had the same experience with suttree and it is also my favorite book
>>
File: BaXUSPL.jpg (42KB, 595x446px) Image search: [Google]
BaXUSPL.jpg
42KB, 595x446px
>>8499361
>>8499369
Wait, you guys too? Fuck me. I had the exact same experience.

What's going on?
>>
>>8499376
Shit I guess it was just a really good book. It is the comfiest and the saddest book I've ever read and the ending manages to still be positive and all throughout the writing is beautiful, the characters are so painfully real. Yeah I'm a McCarthy fanboy I guess but still.

My favorite part is his hallucinations in the mountains.
>>
>>8499361
>>8499369
>>8499376
Can one of you explain to me why Suttree is good? I read Blood Meridian and enjoyed it so now I'm planning on reading it and would like something to look forward to
>>
>>8499407
Blood Meridian is easily tied with Suttree IMO for McCarthys best. Suttree has a greater range of emotion and activity, with great humor and the same kind of biblical faulknerian prose applied to the mundane absurdities of life in poverty. Some reviewer said it reads like a doomed Huckleberry Finn, which is accurate.
>>
>>8499360
What do you mean by better equipped? Do you mean as in ready to take notes, or having read more around the story/plot/character motivations in advance?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.