[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what does /lit/ think of being a high school teacher? I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Paulgeta.jpg (29KB, 377x325px) Image search: [Google]
Paulgeta.jpg
29KB, 377x325px
what does /lit/ think of being a high school teacher?
I don't know if I'd enjoy the enviroment, but I think I'd enjoy the work. I know I would have to be a lot more social, not that I'm a full blown autist, but can you imagine seeing so many young Staceys in their prime and accidently stuttering when they ask you for help or laugh at you for messing up.
Also, there seems like an inundation of old bitchy teachers, as is been true with the teaching proffession since forever. But I think I could get a passion for teaching by make it into a whole self-righteous thing like I'm socrates or some shit.
anyways, I'm only 20, should I sell my youth away by studying to be a teacher and turn into The Man.
>>
Same age and I think it would be fun in general. I don't have the same insecurities, but I feel ya. I'd be the cool teacher with tattoos and band shirts and an impressive literary repertoire and students and my peers alike would want to bang left and right but I'd be way to busy grading papers with valuable feedback and interest.
>>
>>8498974
I'd wanna teach kids. The fucks in high school are ruined already. Read Shakespeare to 6th graders.
>>
>>8498974
If you aren't in school already, I recommend you do a school that gets you into the classroom early into the degree. One of my exes chose her college in part by this criteria, and from what I understand it worked well for her. She wasn't student teaching until she was a senior, but she was a classroom assistant who taught occasionally her sophomore year, and she figured out pretty quickly that it was definitely the job for her from that. Others dropped out at that point, but at least they weren't seniors figuring out they hate their work.
Also if you go teach in Alaska or an inner-city school you can get your debt paid off.
>>
>>8498974
I'd recommend that you do something that lets you experience teaching without so much commitmen---something like this guy >>8499083
was talking about.

I say this because I have taught a little and let me tell you: absolutely none of them give a single shit about anything you are trying to teach them. They only want to be done with their homework so they can go do other things. Nothing you say will matter to 99% of them
>>
>>8499083
>>8499095

I'm at a community college and hopefully transferring, I'm unsure if I want to commit to something like teaching, but I'm on /lit/ obviously and have a bit of an interest for academics in some way. I don't think I really have that passion in me to pass on knowledge to some receptive mind, probably because I know they don't care, because I know I didn't care when I was their age. But, thats part of my problem, I wasn't the greatest student, and I do need to make sure this is a career I should even consider, it just seems like a good oppurtunity to have a career in something even vaguely related to something I'm interested in. And, it pays well enough to make a living, atleast for the time being.
>>
Hawaii is begging people to teach there. From what I understand, you just need a bachelors.
>>
>>8499140
Teaching is an odd thing. I thought I never gave a shit about teaching, but I got the chance to teach a couple comp classes in grad school and I actually really enjoyed it. Comp is probably about as bad as high school as well, most students want to get it out of the way because NONE of them need it for their major, and they resent any homework they get in it, but just seeing some students improve whether they liked it or not felt pretty good. You just have the shrug off the ones who don't give a shit.
If you want, I know a couple schools that do programs where you get into the classroom early. They aren't /lit/ meme schools or Ivy League, but they're solid.
>>
you should read great teacher onizuka
>>
>>8498974
I wanted to teach religion when I was 15, mostly because the subject matter seemed interesting and...surprise surprise, most of my religion teachers had been fun and influential people

If you aim to teach, teach something that you want to influence in. Teaching 15-20 year olds is the optimal place because although there will be alot of losers and troublemakers, thats the age range will the other half will also enjoy a good teacher and actually focus on the subject matter if they have the potential for it

teaching little kids is practically a waste, you wont be genuinely influencing them unless youre teaching them the basics of any subject and theyll only fondly remember you as a joke, not a genuine influential role
>>
>>8499150
Hawaiian here. Basically untrue. I heard this meme on the net a while back. Hawaii needs teachers but it's been exaggerated. It's looking for certified teachers. You have to be a certified teacher to teach in Hawaii, not just a bachelors.

Hawaii has an incredibly high cost of living and as a new teacher here without any ties you will struggle mightily to make ends meet. Teachers often leave for the mainland, which is why Hawaii needs teachers, but I can tell you that for now, Hawaii is still only looking for certified teachers and pay is still low compared to cost of living.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.