[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If someone could have been great at something, but failed because

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

If someone could have been great at something, but failed because of an obstacle, can they still consider themselves great in any substantial sense?

e.g., if Muhammad Ali was an amateur on the come-up but got run over by a car and broke his back. Could he still reasonably feel proud of himself that he "could have"?

I think of Thoreau's quote "You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one." I agree that possibility and the execution of that possibility are different, but how much weight does possibility have?
>>
>>8498523
Pride and greatness are subjective emotional designations. Its entirely contingent on opinion regardless, not objective fact

> Could he still reasonably feel proud of himself that he "could have"?

Yes of course he could, "would he" is the determining question
>>
>>8498523
I read an article about a law school graduate who couldn't find work. He was satisfied though because he could still think of himself as a lawyer, even though he had never actually practiced law. His friends and family also treated him like he was actually a lawyer even though he was unemployed.

I think >>8498534 is right that Ali could think of himself that way but I would agree with Thoreau that you must make yourself into a character. While Ali and the law school grad might think they have achieved something I think their pride is unreasonable, a crippled Ali is not a boxer and an unemployed law school grad is not a lawyer.
>>
>>8498523
just die with some dignity
>>
>>8498552

Could they find any pride, though? Not nearly to the same level as being a lawyer/champion boxer, but some level of satisfaction. I brought up Ali because I wonder about destined-to-be-great athletes and the difficulty they have with career ending injuries that happened before they could really become somebody. I feel like they should be able to have some pride in themselves, but where's the line between that and a whiney douche who keeps saying "yeah I COULD'VE been great, if only this thing didn't happen. I'm basically the same as [insert famous person]." Obviously a failed boxer of great talent can't say he's on the same level of prestige as Ali, so what can he say, exactly?
>>
>>8498639
No. You either achieve success or you don't. You can gain sympathy from failing to meet your potential due to external influences but you can't draw pride from potential success.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.