[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just finished The Sorrows of Young Werther. Thoroughly enjoyed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: werther_web.jpg (172KB, 900x586px) Image search: [Google]
werther_web.jpg
172KB, 900x586px
Just finished The Sorrows of Young Werther.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. However, I've read that Goethe himself disliked the piece (and romanticism as a whole) and many reviews I read beforehand called it trivial and hated Werther for the fact that he couldn't just "man up".

Anybody else agree? I for one thought it was entertaining to read such profound deep seated heartache, especially after being dumped a few months ago. Definitely made the sentiment of unrequited love feel more ubiquitous and beautifully captured, however over dramatic the character is (which gives some good laughs too).

Also what Goethe should I read next? Thinking Faust
>>
>>8493980
It's a great description of a teenager's worldview. Captures all the major points beautifully.
>>
>>8494000
Trips of truth.
>>
>>8493980
I don´t agree with the people who think he should just "man up". Other than that i feel exactly like you after i read it a few months ago, was also dumped before.
I also read Faust I recently and while being interesting i liked TSoYW more.
>>
>>8493980
It's honestly one of my favourite books. Goethe perfectly satirises the egotism of the Romanticist sentiment through Werther's self-destructive fall.
>>
I thought it was great, except for the overlong Ossian bit.
Lotte is Waifu material.
I thought a good bit of it was funny as well, like when Wilhelm responds with advice and Werther tells him something along the lines of
>I thank you friend, for your deep concern and well thought advice, and implore you to be quiet.
>>
>>8493980

just found out last night his name is pronounced gote-eh
>>
>>8495709
I thought it was Ger-tuh
Or G%-tuh with the % being an O sound, but like you were making an O sound and a bird flew down your throat mid noise.
>>
>>8495692
Lotte is kinda shit to be honest. Continuing close friendship with Werther after engagement, even after marriage, when it was rather obvious he's in love, is indecent not only to Werther but to her husband as well.
>>
>>8496286
I think she was struggling and loved Werther back, but had a duty to stay with Albert.
I think if given enough time and the right circumstances she would have ran off with Werther, had he not killed himself.
>>
>>8495709
>>8496246
idiots
>>
File: image.jpg (111KB, 1331x540px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
111KB, 1331x540px
>>8496324
Sometimes I'm disgusted by the plebs on this s board.
>>
Goethe didn't dislike it at all. The story was meant as a warning, and the warning is literally written into the book. Apparently you don't read thoroughly or you wouldn't have made this thread.
>>
>>8495709
>>8496246

If you're american, just give up. You literally cannot make the sound. The ö sound is the shibboleth to end all shibboleths.
>>
>>8496290
No, she wouldn't abandon Albert
If she hadn't married him, Werther would have been her husband
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.