[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's a good book about the history of Islam? Also post

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 93144.jpg (857KB, 2048x1360px) Image search: [Google]
93144.jpg
857KB, 2048x1360px
What's a good book about the history of Islam? Also post any good books pertaining to middle eastern history and culture.
>>
>>8492194
Egger's "A History of the Muslim World" is a good undergrad primer
The Venture of Islam by Hodgson and Lapidus' "A History of Islamic Societies" are for the serious student
The Great Arab Conquests by Kennedy covers the great Jihads
The Truth About Muhammad by Robert Spencer is a highly (virulently) critical hit piece on Muhammed, but very well researched.
>>
>>8492235
how many of these are biased though? I'm just looking for an objective telling of middle eastern history. Just a bit weary of reading anything written by westerners
>>
>>8492244
You will never find an objective history book. Ever. If you think you can you need to go back to historiography 101. Also, Muslims are notorious for whitewashing their history. If you want a good fiction book in this regard, try Season of Migration to the North by Salih. There is nothing wrong with any of the books I listed except for Spencer, which I put in as a spin from the detached academic work of the previous authors.
>>
>>8492244
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Muslim_historians#The_historians_of_the_modern_period

>dat modern period

The middle east is a fuckpot
>>
>>8492244
Read Bukhari and books by the 4 Imams so you have an introduction to Muslim thought before reading any biased books because all Islam related books are biased.
>>
>>8492675
>all books are biased

ftfy

Jesus Christ, one would think that /lit/ would understand that bias is pervasive in any written work, and its only by serious scholarly work that you can come to some sort of vetted truth regarding the past, that may be overturned at any time.
>>
I recommend:
The Study Qur'an
Cambridge Companion to the Qur'an
>>
>>8492969
That's true, thanks for correcting me.
>>
>>8492244
>Just a bit weary of reading anything written by westerners
Modern muslims arent fans of doing things themselves, they hire westerners to build anything remotely challenging
>>
>>8493031
Not to mention that the state of Islamic historical scholarship is shaped by either Iranian or Saudi/Emirate funding.
>>
>>8492244
>He's an objectivist
Fuck yourself, value judgments are inherent in historical writing
>>
>>8492194
Political Islam: A Marxist Analysis is an interesting read! Its a two-part essay
>>
>>8492985
Study Qur'an is really nice, and probably the best interpretation of the book in english
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.