[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> In b4 fedora. Im interested in reading Ayn Rand and want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: aynrand.jpg (148KB, 775x465px) Image search: [Google]
aynrand.jpg
148KB, 775x465px
> In b4 fedora.

Im interested in reading Ayn Rand and want to know whether to read Atlas Shrugged or The Fountain. I have a philosophy degree so am not afraid of it being dense, but just want to know what is her best?
>>
>>8490905
Fountain Head without a doubt.

Well it depends I guess, do you want to hear her philosophy wrapped in terms of artistic genius and individuality or wrapped in terms of capital genius and individually.
>>
>>8490929

Either is fine, ive just found when i learned about her in school i had an obvious distaste towards it and her - but over the years have found ive moved from utilitarianism, to subjectivism, nihilism and then almost objectivist so would like to give her a fair appraisal. Whichever is a more captivating book i guess. Have you read both?
>>
>>8490905
*fedora tip* heh nice try kiddo
>>
>>8490905
I read atlas shrugged. Long. but worth it.
>>
>>8490905
Read The Fountainhead first.
If you have no clue about the plot of Atlas Shrugged, read it after that.

Then choose anything else, I recommend the virtue of Selfishness, then The Romantic Manifesto, and then Philosophy : Who Needs It.

Ayn Rand's Fiction
Novels

We the Living (1936)
Anthem (1938)
The Fountainhead (1943)
Atlas Shrugged (1957)

Other Works

Night of January 16th (originally produced in 1936, published in 1968)
The Early Ayn Rand, edited by Leonard Peikoff (1984)
Three Plays, edited by Richard E. Ralston (2005)

Ayn Rand's Non-Fiction
Non-fiction Books Published in Rand's Lifetime

For the New Intellectual (1961)
The Virtue of Selfishness (1964)
Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal (1966)
The Romantic Manifesto (1969)
The New Left: The Anti-Industrial Revolution (1971)
Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology (1979)

Non-fiction Books Published Posthumously

Philosophy: Who Needs It, edited by Leonard Peikoff (1982)
The Voice of Reason, edited by Leonard Peikoff (1989)
The Ayn Rand Column, edited by Peter Schwartz (1991)
Letters of Ayn Rand, edited by Michael S. Berliner (1995)
Ayn Rand's Marginalia, edited by Robert Mayhew (1995)
Journals of Ayn Rand, edited by David Harriman (1997)
The Ayn Rand Reader, edited by Gary Hull and Leonard Peikoff (1999)
Return of the Primitive, edited by Peter Schwartz (1999)
Russian Writings on Hollywood, edited by Michael S. Berliner, translated by Dina Garmong (1999)
The Art of Fiction, edited by Tore Boeckmann (2000)
The Art of Nonfiction, edited by Robert Mayhew (2001)
The Ayn Rand Sampler (2002)
Ayn Rand Answers, edited by Robert Mayhew (2005)
>>8490929
>Fountain Head
>[space]
kys
>>
>>8490905
Hit up Anthem first. You can get through it in an afternoon since it's so short.
Then if you like it go for the big books. Personally I found Atlas Shrugged to be really boring.
It makes sense when you think about how she wrote it while on speed; it's got that long winded "I'm gonna beat you on the head with my ideas" vibe that I've found in anything I've ever written while on adderall.

I've never read The Fountainhead.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.