[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Balzac anon here, if anyone cares to remember. So I went through

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: U1G435LZ.jpg (35KB, 443x280px) Image search: [Google]
U1G435LZ.jpg
35KB, 443x280px
Balzac anon here, if anyone cares to remember.

So I went through and purchased the full set for just over 200 (with shipping). They're absolutely gorgeous, I love them.

However they're very very delicate, some of the covers are peeling a bit and could fall off I think. (Pic is them, though not my photo.)

The condition is fine, though I worry I paid too much for them.

I just wanted to know if anyone had any advice for taking care of them as I read them (any common pit falls or odd ways I may be destroying them). That would be a big help, I'll post pictures some time next week (in the middle of moving) if anyone is interested.
>>
>>8482608
The word "love" sure seems to get thrown around a lot these days.
>>
>>8482612
How do you mean
>>
>>8482617
translation, he thinks they look like shit
>>
>>8482643
they do, but the text is preserved. the covers are very worn, but theyre over one hundred years old, what could anyone expect?
>>
>>8482645
I'm just the messenger. I don't have any insight to what these books are, sorry.
>>
>>8482612
Yes it's the tumblrization of the new medium of modern culture. Tumblr, Liberal, Rights, Freedom, etc.
>>
>>8482608

Is it the complete works?

What have you read so far?
>>
>>8482690
It is the complete works. I have started Father Goriot inbetween chapters of a Dostoevsky novel
>>
>>8482694

I read Pere Goriot in translation and really liked it, I hope you do too. What persuaded you to get all of Balzac without having read a bunch of his works already? And what Dostoevsky are you reading?
>>
>>8482717
Demons currently.

I've been reading a biography on Dostoevsky and in it are a few of his letters. He said that Balzac's chatacters were from "the universal mind". I think I can trust Dostoevsky's opinion. I had a slight interest before, but that cemented it. Once I did some reading on Balzac I saw he had written something like 90 novels, I figured it would be a fun project to try and read them all.

I also prefer to have one translator all the way through, this seemed the only way.
>>
try to make a thread about each book you finish op
>>
>>8482741
For you, I will try.
>>
>>8482746
aren't you the sweetest
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.