[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /lit/, I'm writing a novel and want your input. Is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Heers 155.jpg (928KB, 1441x2153px) Image search: [Google]
Heers 155.jpg
928KB, 1441x2153px
Hey /lit/, I'm writing a novel and want your input.

Is this trite/overused?

> scene introducing minor antagonist
> m.a. boards protagonist's ship
> dialogue between m.a. and p.
> one of m.a.'s lackeys laughs at p's comeback
> m.a. plays along with lackey
> m.a. devolves into hysterical, maddening laughter
> m.a. sucker-punches lackey

I'm wondering if the whole "bad guy beats up his own henchman" trope is overused. It seems too easy as a means of conveying how dangerous the villain is.
> one of the lackeys laughs at protagonist's comeback
>>
>>8482132
>asking /lit/ for advice
your book will never get published.
>>
>>8482132
yeah thats real shit n overplayed tbqh senpai

i know you've probably seen breaking bad, so think about how the writers portrayed gus fring. the real dangerous people are the people that know they shouldnt act in ways that would mark them as dangerous.

here's a toast to you developing a character past flatness.
>>
>>8482132
Yeah, I feel I've seen this exact scene somewhere before...

And I don't know, if your intention is to convey how dangerous the villain is, then doing so in a humorous scene like that doesn't really work. Because it's mainly just stupid and laughable, and makes the villain and his forces look like non-threatening idiots. This kind of thing only fits a pirate movie for children.
>>
>>8482132
>conveying how dangerous the villain is

But you greentexted a comedy scene.
>>
>>8482132
I do not think it matter if it is a cliché, or common, even overused. It matters how you contextually flesh it out, aka what the end product is going to be like.
>>
Post the writing and not the scenario. The scenario itself is mediocre, cliche trash, but what you do with it doesn't have to be.
>>
We've all seen it but it doesn't need to be trite. You could also make the villain a chaotic character instead of the childish villain trope. See frank from blue velvet for a good example
>>
Dont stuggle for originality.
We're basically talking apes, almost everything happens almost to all of us and everything worth said, it's been already said.

Struggle for yourself and your enjoyment. If the scene is fun to write and to read, than go on, it's not like you're gonna get published anyway.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.