[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how many times do you read a poem before you "get"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: .jpg (74KB, 638x440px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
74KB, 638x440px
how many times do you read a poem before you "get" it. 99% of poetry goes over my head and i just don't understand it
>>
You're not supposed to "get" poetry, you just enjoy it.
>>
>>8474865
Pretty much this.
Poetry is able to be wicked plebby but it's poetry, who gives a shit. I'm a published poet and I write my poems based on rhythm and phonetics. I've had people tell me how deep it is and I have a hard time not laughing in their faces.
>>
>>8474865
I disagree somewhat. You "get" it for yourself. I am very critical of people who act like they've objectively interpreted a poem, or people who try to interpret it with references to the author's life and work, but I also disagree with >>8474908, it is not up to you to decide whether someone else's reading is "deep" or not, tbqh.
>>
>>8474293
It depends, poetry is meant to be aesthetic, it can be pretty simply to understand and be like reading a basic bit of prose fiction. Usually a poem like this will be focusing on rhythm

If a poem has an abstract concept and gets its aesthetic from some kind of intellectual prowess I personally can find it a bit hard to understand it, having to read it maybe 3 times and then specifically focusing on it, slowly and meticulously looking at it and uncovering the meaning
>>
>>8474293
If it's written in meter I often find myself reading way too fast and have to back up and actually read the words.
>>
>>8474293
>poem
fag
>>
It all depends on the talent of the poet. For example, their choice of diction and the cadency of versification, it's all highly idiomatic. You compare someone of the absolute first rank, like John Milton, with someone perhaps not as distinguished, but still altogether brilliant, like Samuel Taylor Coleridge, you will see what it means to be a born poet.
>>
>>8474293
Try some Larkin, he's usually simple and painful.
>>
>>8474293
How many times do you look at a painting before you "get" it?
>>
>>8474865
Depends. The poetry you "just enjoy" is more aesthetic, therefore superficial. It's not a matter of "look for the hidden meaning," more "discern the spirit of the poem." Learning what it means or what it's "about" is a bonus.
>>
Damn, Amy was prime totally not a tranny fanny
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.