[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who here has read Mishima and what's the best of his

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: mishima.jpg (319KB, 1202x1600px) Image search: [Google]
mishima.jpg
319KB, 1202x1600px
Who here has read Mishima and what's the best of his books to read first?
>>
>>8473692

https://warosu.org/lit/?task=search&ghost=yes&search_text=where+to+start+with+mishima
>>
>>8473692
I'm reading snow spring as my first mishima and it's good
>>
>>8473692
Extensively in English and a little bit in Japanese.

If you want your jimmies rustled by an MC like never before go with Spring Snow. You could read the whole tetralogy if you like, but Spring Snow can be read stand alone.

The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea is far more read among western readers of Mishima than in Japan. Considered a very minor work but still good.
>>
>>8473937
Where did kiyoyaki touch you, anon?
>>
>>8473692
wew that body
>>
>>8475618
>5' 1"
there's your answer
>>
>>8473773
>Confessions of a Mask
>If you want to get into Mishima the man, start here.

That's what I wanted to suggest. Confessions of a Mask is not only an excellent book, it's also the best to get an overview about Mishima's thoughts, fears, and desires.

>>8473937
Which of the original Japanese books would you say is most understandable for a baka gaijin?
>>
>>8475666
If you don't know at least the kyouiku kanji don't even try to read him in Japanese fampai.
>>
His essay sun and steel served as my introduction; Persona (the biography) followed by Confessions of a Mask then Spring Snow+the rest of the tetralogy.
>>
How gay is his work? I don't mind a bit of gay but if there's a lot of explicit gay eroticism then I'll skip him.
>>
>>8475729
Depends on which novels but the vast majority of them it's very subdued.
>>
>>8473692
imo The Temple of the Golden Pavilion is his best followed by The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea. Didn't care much about Confessions.
>>
>>8473937
Spring Snow can't be read alone.

IMO Mishima's entire worth as an artist is found only via a complete reading of the Sea of Fertility. His other books are good, but you're missing the whole point without doing the tetralogy.
>>
>>8477451
It absolutely can be read alone. Your pie in the sky proselytizing about the entire tetralogy aside, Spring Snow literally works as a standalone. That is to say, there is no cliffhanger, etc.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.