[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the rules around dialogue please? Particularly between

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: header[1].jpg (27KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header[1].jpg
27KB, 460x215px
What are the rules around dialogue please? Particularly between "he said" vs "said he" and things like that.

E.g., can I do something like this?

"I suppose there will be an attack soon." said Mike.

"I suppose." said Charlie.

"The Captain is going to get us all killed, you know." Mike said.

Also, when do you not need to put 'said'? Is this correct, grammatically speaking?

"Psst!"

"What is it, Mike?"

"Fancy a cigarette?"

"Wait a minute."

How often do you need to put your "said"'s so the reader still knows who is talking? Sorry for the dumb autistic questions but if I can bottom this out I'll feel a lot better about my dialogue.
>>
Generally you omit "he said"'s when the conversation becomes a straightforward back-and-forth between two people. Person 1 speaks, then person 2 speaks, and so on, always in that order. If you break that pattern in any way you should make it clear through narration, doing otherwise can be confusing. Still, some writers do it and prefer to let enough personality show through to let the reader figure it out for himself. And some just plain don't give a shit.
>>
>>8473589
What is the best way to handle a conversation of three+ people?
>>
>>8473542

I am ashamed to admit it but I am a glutton. When I was 13 I asked my dad for some chicken tendies. We lived way out in the middle of no where so he had to pick them up on his way from work cause I was not going to walk for an hour to get them. When he got home I was excited cause I was starving. I emptied the paper bag and there were 5 tendies, fries, ketchup. I got angry because there was no honey mustard sauce though. I yelled "what is the point of tendies without honey mustard!?!?" I called my dad a faggot and tried to hit him. He sent me to my room. I gave him the silent treatment for a month and then to my utter dismay he died from a heart attack (undiagnosed heart condition). So now I eat tendies with honey mustard sauce on a daily basis (at least 20 strips and 4 orders of fries divided into 3 meals). I will often incorporate chicken and french fries into other meals like sandwiches, pizza, macaroni and I only ever use honey mustard on my pizza and in my mac instead of ranch. I am 5'6, 300lbs and won't stop eating until I double in size and die. I am 19 btw.
>>
>>8473542

No.

Keep it consistent. Use proper grammar.
>>
>>8473698
>"I am ashamed to admit it but I am a glutton. When I was 13 I asked my dad for some chicken tendies. We lived way out in the middle of no where so he had to pick them up on his way from work cause I was not going to walk for an hour to get them. When he got home I was excited cause I was starving. I emptied the paper bag and there were 5 tendies, fries, ketchup. I got angry because there was no honey mustard sauce though. I yelled "what is the point of tendies without honey mustard!?!?" I called my dad a faggot and tried to hit him. He sent me to my room. I gave him the silent treatment for a month and then to my utter dismay he died from a heart attack (undiagnosed heart condition). So now I eat tendies with honey mustard sauce on a daily basis (at least 20 strips and 4 orders of fries divided into 3 meals). I will often incorporate chicken and french fries into other meals like sandwiches, pizza, macaroni and I only ever use honey mustard on my pizza and in my mac instead of ranch. I am 5'6, 300lbs and won't stop eating until I double in size and die. I am 19 btw."
he said.
>>
>>8473705
Lol that's my question which is the proper grammar?
>>
>>8474900
Don't listen to that fag. Write it however you want. If you feel the need to put in he said she said shit, do it. If you think it sounds tacky then don't.

Grammar isn't ironclad if you're writing fiction; it's just a guidepost. What separates a great author, or even a good one from a hack is that they're not afraid of making their own stylistic choices rather than clinging to the "rules".
>>
Is that Sgt. Pepper's-era John Lennon in pic related?
>>
Just do it however suits you, if you reach publication then your editor will change it to the publisher's in-house standard (unless you're doing a McCarthy sort of thing for stylistic reasons).
Some use " ", some use ' ', the French use an em-dash, McCarthy uses nothing. Things like "said" you use as little as possible, just enough that your reader can follow who's saying what without getting confused. Your second example is a good version of that; it's clear who's saying what without interrupting the flow with "said".
>>
>>8475329
It's a paperback writer.
>>
>>8473686
Use subtle clues in the prior paragraph and in the beginning of the conversation. Differentiation of voice is most important though
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.