[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does it mean to be wise? Are great scientist like Maxwell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: lao-tzu-quotes.png (454KB, 721x391px) Image search: [Google]
lao-tzu-quotes.png
454KB, 721x391px
What does it mean to be wise?

Are great scientist like Maxwell "wise"?, great philosophers like Kant, Hegel or Lao Tzu?, maybe writers like Kafka?
>>
I personally wise implies being good and knowledgeable

Whereas being knowledgeable doesn't imply that you have to be good. Just smart.

Socrates believed that to be wise and to have knowledge was very different as well and almost in the exact same lines, but he added a little extra. He believed that knowledge was something that can be taught, where as wisdom was equal to virtue; since there is no teachers to teach that claimed to teach virtue, it must be unteachable(which is bs). Therefor to be wise is your own doing.
>>
>>8473134
Wisdom is knowledge acquired through experience and not imitation.
>>
>>8473336
Agreed. I think wisdom also implies a sense of what's appropriate behavior in a given situation. I suppose that falls under knowledge?
>>
>>8473369
> I suppose that falls under knowledge?

a "divine" knowledge if it preaches good is the response Socrates would say.
>>
>>8473134
If we are to distinguish wisdom from knowledge, then to me it appears that wisdom is a state of being, a way of apprehension, very much in the present moment and "open," without obstacle, free and motile, untroubled by novelty. Wisdom is ready.
Knowledge is particular, accumulative, crystallized and rigid, rich in detail. New knowledge supplants the old, but the known is always a finite domain in contrast to an infinite horizon of the unknown. Knowledge is never done.
>>
>>8473448
>>8473369

And again, this aligns with the greek thought that "truth"=good no matter what.

They believed that to know good was to know divine knowledge because they are highest among truth.

But ya, I think no doubt the context that we say "wise" is always implying that it is being knowledgeable and being committed to being "good". For instance no one would call jesus truly wise if he didn't practice what he preached. where as since he did practice what he preached, he was wisest of the wise and was considered godly.

I know that's not exactly how it went but you all get the gist.
>>
>>8473460
Two questions to that

Does wisdom by what you have just said require any knowledge at all?

Would you say that peace is a characteristic of being wise or that the only needed thing to be wise is to be at peace?
>>
>>8473481
I'd say no. Wisdom does not require or presuppose knowledge. The ignorant fool can be wise or at least act wisely.
Saying this should not be misunderstood as dismissing knowledge.
There is a non-trivial connection between knowledge and wisdom. By accumulating knowledge one may facilitate the growth of wisdom and by wisdom one's knowledge may in turn be further refined. Functionally though, knowledge can be acquired by will and effort, wisdom "falls into place" or is attained by insight, which is unpredictable and untrainable.
>>
>>8473134
Kafka is literally all anxiety

the pic in OP is some self-help facebook women's fanpage tier ''philosophy'' though
>>
>>8473134
>tfw anxious and depressed
Damnit
>>
File: yang.png (64KB, 154x251px) Image search: [Google]
yang.png
64KB, 154x251px
16. The Nature of Man

Yang Chu said: “Men resemble heaven and earth in that they cherish five principles. Of all creatures, man is the most skillful. His nails and teeth do not suffice to procure him maintenance and shelter. His skin and sinews do not suffice to defend him; though running he cannot attain profit nor escape harm, and he has neither hair nor feathers to protect him from the cold and heat. He is thus compelled to use things to nourish his nature, to rely on his intelligence, and not to put his confidence in brute force; therefore intelligence is appreciated because it preserves us and brute force despised because it encroaches upon things.

“But I am not the owner of my own body, for I, when I am born, must complete it, nor do I possess things, for having got them, I must part with them again. The body is essential for birth, but things are essential for its maintenance.

“If there were a body born complete I could not possess it, and I could not possess things not to be parted with. For possessing a body or things would be unlawfully appropriating a body belonging to the whole universe, and appropriating things belonging to the universe which no sage would do.

“He who regards as common property a body appertaining to the universe and the things of the universe is a perfect man.

“And that is the highest degree of perfection.”
>>
>>8473134
Wisdom is knowing when to set limits on knowledge, it's a fruit you bear after direct experience of something over time.
>>
>>8473134
This photo is something my mother would share on Facebook.
>>
>>8474942
Link desu I only have 30 friends there
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.