[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

who's working on a novel? i have about 15 pages done so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: vlcsnap-2016-05-25-01h46m49s111.png (386KB, 512x400px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-05-25-01h46m49s111.png
386KB, 512x400px
who's working on a novel? i have about 15 pages done so far, managed to get a lot more done when i gave up on 'meticulous planning' and just started writing. so far i like it but can appreciate the fact that it's probably shit. still, finishing it would be a nice accomplishment.

maybe we can start a group for people who have just started, to share tips and whatever.
>>
>>8468068
I started actively writing once I got a typewritter. Don't ask me why, I just know that on a Pc 30 mins of work feels like two hours and I get very little accomplished whilst ina typewriter 30 mins feels like 5 and I get often 3-5 pages per half hour

In exchange for my personal experience I would like to know the name of the ginger semen daemon.
>>
>>8468068
Just started yesterday actually, dialogue and the fact that it's written episodically makes the pages just seem to fly by
>>
Best of luck on the novel, anon. I'm working on one too -- at about 10,000 words. Though it's is shit, I share the feeling that'll be great to finish it one day!
>>
>>8468068
I recently just finished a novel, actually. Pretty much the only writing tip that worked for me was smoking weed before I wrote. Writing is fun when you're high.
>>
lets see some
>>
I'm such a slow writer. I have done 132 pages so far, but I needed half a year for that. I redo every page until it's perfect, which takes probably half an hour per sentence. Any advice?

Also I'm german and I write in german. Sorry for my bad english.
>>
>>8468177
You can write over a 1,000 words in 30 minutes ?
>>
>>8468427
Once I get the idea it all flows trough. At first I was pretty slow with the thing, my fingers kept sliding torugh the keys and I kept pushing to keys at once stammering the thing. It's like a keyboard, you start getting fluent at it with time.
>>
>>8468401
Don't edit until you're finished is the advice for that.
You're killing your creativity.
>>
>>8468068
I got to 38000 words and then stopped because I didn't know where I was going with it.

I don't write in sequence so I had thousands of words devoted to very loosely related things that I had no idea how to pull together.
>>
I have a question lit, how do you know you guys have good writing? Or like how can I improve my writing.

I had a friend show me their work in progress novel and found it to be horrible. It just makes me scared to show my story in progress.
>>
>>8468865

You have to show it to other people, it can be embarrassing but if you don't you could just be wasting your time writing rubbish. Or compare it to someone else's work you and others think is good.

I've recently just started actually writing my story after weeks of planning and pages of notes. I think I have a decent fictional world built and a main storyline, but my main issue is lack of description I think. I can see everything in my head because it started there, but getting other people to envision is hard so i'm periodically showing parts to people to see what needs changing or adding.
>>
>>8468904

I am just reluctant to do that due to deep seated anxiety issues I guess. Its been months since I posted some nice short story online and I feel like its already too late to get back to writing. I will have to force myself it seems.

Also Yea description has always been hard for me. I get the plotting and pacing down to pat, or I like to think I do but I am always in absolute wonder how everyone else can put such apt description of things.
>>
>>8468401
Yeah, stop editing while you're drafting. Literally, just stop doing it.
>>
>>8468865
Join a writing group.
>>
>>8468177
Seems like the actual realities of working on someting that is not connected to the internet and your dislocation from your habits is what is helping you.
>>
>>8468865
You have to understand that what the crowd finds interesting is impossible to predict as it changes all the time. Just write what you like however you like it and dont let someone tell you its shit. One person's word means nothing even if its an accomplished writer or an academic in the field.
Why would you ever want ot write something that isnt "yours" anyway?

You simply have to have inner standards and dont try to be liked or be popular, it will only mire your work and personal style.
One od my ideals is that when I write it must be very hard and very taxing on me mentally.
If I dont feel intense mental pains and i dont feel like im challanging myself to the extreme I dont consider what I wrote to be worthy.
I think of the mental work of good writing to be the equivalent of the physical stress of working in construction.
You however, have to find your own way and your own standards that fit who you are but imo they hvae to be internal and whether people find what you write to be good or not is not up to you.
If you dont enjoy writing for a hours a day you shouldnt write as the process itself is the only guaranteed prize you wil ever get.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.