[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw just had it explained to me why Jonas knows the story

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

>tfw just had it explained to me why Jonas knows the story of Theseus so well

FUCK ME, why didn't I think of it myself? But then it's so subtle. God, Wolfe is brilliant.
>>
>>8466200
no one cares about your 'le epin secret reading', faggot
>>
>>8466200
if he's so brilliant, why will i never read him?
>>
>>8466200
No, it's obvious, you're just dim
>>
What?

[Spoiler]Do you mean because he's an android from a period in time when the story of Theseus was still 'alive'?[/spoiler]
>>
>>8466517
is that really what happens? jesus christ, i was right, it's just shitty sci-fi. thank god i never wasted my time or money on that.
>>
>>8466517
No, it's because Jonas himself is a literal "Ship of Theseus." He's an android that's had his broken bits replaced by organic, human bits, right? So he lives the paradox, and his existence raises the same questions. Is he still the same android? Is he even an android at all any more? Is he human now? What makes something a human, anyway?
>>
>>8466616
Are you the guy from my freshman philosophy class who kept pointing out how the parable of the cave is just like The Matrix?
>>
>>8466604
Yeah, this and Dune seem to get trotted out a lot as "literary SF", but it's just the same genre bullshit, just competently written compared to other SF stuff.
>>
>>8466616
>all those gay-ass questions
pff, im glad that part went over my head.
>>
>>8466604
>plot matters
pleb alert
>>
>>8466616

I don't remember that bit but yeah, I dig it.

>>8466604
>>8466623

He also literally gets beamed back up to his ship after he's fulfilled his mission.

The whole story is filed with cheeky little nods to the genre. It's meta-sci-fi, what do you expect?
>>
>>8466616
deep, yo, deep.

really, is what makes it interesting to you that it's something simple like genre fiction that has a slight undercurrent of depth that's only unusual because it's genre fiction? You could get that out of all sorts of other works, and that just at face value, is that the sort of depth that Gene Wolfe fans talk about?
>>
>>8466639
i dunno, with all the cocksucking it gets, something more than that, ffs.
>>
>>8466634
he's talking about a referential theme, you idiot. it's hardly a plot point. i never even mentioned plot. don't get your projection gunk on me.
>>
>>8466646

What about the complex and searching meditation on the nature of religion and story-telling and religion-as-story-telling? Not profound enough for you?
>>
>>8466654
If that instance is an example of the type of "complex and searching meditation", then no. it's not profound enough for me at all, sadly.
>>
>>8466644
I think this stuff is more like throwaway easter egg type stuff that pleases people to puzzle out.
>>
>>8466660

I'm referring to the entire work, not a throwaway reference like the Ship of Theseus. I take it you haven't read it.
>>
>>8466666

Diabolical quints of common sense and level headedness.
>>
Don't bother OP, there's 18 year olds in this thread who shitpost on their McDonalds lunchbreak
>>
>>8466668
no, and i never will. the more i hear about it, the less I want to.
>>
>>8466676

Your loss. Why advertise it?
>>
>>8466686
because i have the slight hope that the people who see something in it might actually mention something that makes it more interesting. sorry for inconveniencing you, anon.
>>
>>8466691

Do you live every aspect of your life on the recommendations of others?
>>
>>8466701
yes, of course, that's what i do.
>>
>>8466701
idk you tell me
>>
Well, that got boring quickly. Guess I'll go read.
>>
>>8466236
Kekd
>>
>>8466701
i just marathoned the first 8 words of your post, what did i think?
>>
>This is the best that Gene Wolfers can muster without getting bored

no wonder
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.