[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best edition/translation of the Illiad and/or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

What's the best edition/translation of the Illiad and/or Odyssey. I mean, is there one translator/editor/publisher which you would recommend above all others, or are there different editions of each which surpass the other's companion?
>>
I really liked Fitzgerald's translation of The Iliad (Oxford). Reading Shewring's translation of The Odyssey at the moment (think I made a mistake with this one).
>>
>>8464059
Well, I made this thread the other day, and what I found helpful is reading the opening paragraph from a bunch of different translators. It really is a matter of taste, OP. I went for the lombardo translation because I found that it was the most simplified, and really what I want to do is understand the text more than anything. I find most of the texts to be very difficult to understand, but you can decide for yourself which one you like most https://www.amazon.com/review/R3LFEJMQ4NO0E1/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0199645213&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=283155&store=books
>>
>>8464059
pope
>>
Read fitzgerald for both iliad odyssey and the Aeneid. hes a good translator as he puts it into the verse structure but isn't too strict to leave things out.

Fagles is supposed to be good by recommendation but I have never read a Fagles translation
>>
>>8464241
Fagles is shit. I can't report on the accuracy, but it isn't poetic at all.

Although i guess it depends on what you want.
>>
There is no 'best' translation. You need to ask more useful question.

Homer has a ridiculous amount of translators each with different aims. What do you want out of a translation? Do you want it to be as literal as possible? Loose, but a better read in English? Do you care if it's prose or do you want one specifically in verse? How much do you care for supplementary commentary?
>>
Hobbes
>>
>>8464059
I had the same question and have decide to go with Pope. Most of what I have read online describes Fagle's as having great clarity but being a little loose and free-versey, and Pope's as having less clarity but more fidelity to the A. Greek.
>>
>>8465110
Which Pope?
>>
>>8465112
Alexander Pope, sorry. Again, I haven't read any of these, just forwarding the info I picked up narrowing my own choice.
>>
>>8465112
Alexander pope
>>
>>8465112
innocent
>>
>>8465112
Pio IX
>>
Lattimore
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.