/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In "The Raven" did the protagonist kill his fair maiden

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: raven.jpg (7KB, 274x184px) Image search: [Google]
raven.jpg
7KB, 274x184px
In "The Raven" did the protagonist kill his fair maiden Lenore in a crime of passion ? I feel that the raven is a messenger from the devil that's purpose is to warn the protagonist that he is going to Hell.
>>
>>8462773
He's telling the protagonist that his lost love really is lost forever. She's not in the afterlife. There likely isn't one. He's fucked
>>
If there was a single line in that poem which hinted the protagonist killed her, that would be interesting. Unfortunately I don't think there is.
>>
>>8462786
Is the bird supernatural or is the protagonist hallucinating that the bird is speaking ?
>>
>>8462817
It's not supernatural and it's not a hallucination. It's just a fucking metaphor.
>>
>>8462817
I think he's just misinterpreting the bird's call

Poe's protagonists are usually a little bit neurotic
>>
I love Poe as much as a fat chick with dark eye liner and shitty tattoos, but you all are reading too much into it.
>>
>>8463031
>you all are reading too much into it
It's a poem

Also Poe literally wrote an essay scientifically dissecting the Raven in order to explain his creative process
>>
>>8462817
>The raven is not talking... it's what the narrator imagines the raven to be thinking
>>
>>8463041

good point. I thought of something that made me laugh and posted it.

I never got a Christian message from it. nothing to imply the raven as a tool of Satan.

The raven is much more strongly associated with wisdom generally and Norse mythology w/r/t Odin specifically

I don't think the raven was connected to Norse mythology directly. Thought it could be seen as connected in that it is considered a bird of wisdom proceeding forth from paganism (which in the christian world is considered dark to some).

So in that since it may be a christian allegory, if by a wide route
>>
Wasn't it about his 14-year-old wifecousin that died of tuberculosis, or is my timeline a bit off?
>>
>>8463068

*sense
>>
>>8463041
Do you know the name of the essay? Or was it a section of an essay?
>>
>>8463070
Probably, yes. Both his real mother and adoptive mother also died of tuberculosis, so it was kind of a running theme.
>>
>>8463117
I heard a theory that he was immune to Tuberculosis and caused his loved ones to catch it from him
>>
>>8463170
Even if that were true, the cause of the disease was not known to him or his society, so this would have been done without his knowledge. Still, that's even more depressing than his story already is.
>>
>>8463092
The Philosophy of Composition

Sometimes it's in "the Complete" editor ions, sometimes not, like Eureka, his cosmological essay
>>
>>8463256
*editions
>>
>>8462773

Why would the devil send a raven to warn someone they're going to hell? Why?
>>
>>8462773
Definitely not, if you read his other poems even without knowing anything about his life it becomes apparent someone in particular has died that he is writing it about, a lover, it never mentions murder or alludes to it
>>
>>8462773

There is an essay in which Poe explains how he made the poem, everything he does in the poem is for emotional effect.
>>
>>8462817
Ravens can talk bro. So a raven could have heard someone going "nevermore" and is just mimicing it over and over.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.