[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>forcing myself to read because I feel like I "have"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1466558943114.jpg (51KB, 527x612px) Image search: [Google]
1466558943114.jpg
51KB, 527x612px
>forcing myself to read because I feel like I "have" to read something, even though I'm not really enjoying it, but I feel obligated
>>
>>8461158
Read Stirner and you'll get over that spook
>>
>>8461158
What are you reading, anon?
>>
You are me in the recent past OP. Buy Nicholas Nickleby and start reading it and then youll realise the stupidity of your feeling.

Stop listening to lit when they tell you that books will make you smarter. Theyre disposable pieces of entertainment that in many cases are vehicles for the self indulgent barely disguised memoirs of the author. Or written only for the money.
>>
there's literally hundreds books you "should read" but haven't, move on to another one if this one isn't working out

you're all like those people who can't feel pain and have to be told to stop chewing their tongues off
>>
>tfw have to read for class or I'm gonna get bodied by a bunch of plebs
oh well
at least I like dostoevsky
>>
>>8461158
This is honestly more healthy of a neurosis than any other to have, this way you'll actually accomplish something, exercise your mind, and learn much more about yourself and the universe than you otherwise may have.

How do you think people become geniuses at mathematics, sciences, art, sports? a neurotic, self-disciplining devotion to it, guilt, an obsession, a feeling that they HAVE to do it.

Good job, OP, and godspeed.
>>
Start of by reading books you will find entertaining then delve into the occasional classic.
>>
>>8461158
talk about first world problems
>>
>>8461186
Have fun trying to get a degree in anything worth something that doesn't involve reading a book.
>>
>>8461158
Well decide. Do you want to be a lazy faggot doing only what your monkey body tells you to do? "Eat. Fuck. Sleep. Repeat." Or do you want to live up to your own ideal? Clearly you think /lit/ is right in pressuring you to read the Greeks enough that you also pressure yourself to read; why not skip the bullshit and decide if you are a shit flinging ape or a human being?

Whatever you do, don't look back on your choice, just fucking pick something and do it unquestioningly for at least a month.
>>
>>8464118
>Giving a fuck about making money
Isn't that funny, that the only thing that a person can do to harness the power of their soul in society is doing whatever makes them some money? Yet, the most beneficial things, the most interesting things to a human being, like reading, going on walks through the woods, playing music, appreciating art, these things aren't valued. It's really no wonder we have as sick of a society that we do, what it revolves around is making money. It's really no wonder that there's so many sick souls in the world we live in today.

So no, I'd say that I don't care about what's "lucrative". All I care about is that I have enough money to buy beautiful paperback books to have on my book shelf, maybe see a concert every now and then, buy some useful electronic equipment for my computer and musical instruments, add the occasional plushie to my collection of plushies, and eat a diet of unprocessed foods, and pay for my apartment.
>>
>>8464181
Also, some people are predisposed to having a nature conducive to making money. If you're on 4chan you probably don't, and honing your understanding of existence and senses of virtue and discipline are basically your only hope.
>>
>>8464187
Some people have a nature conducive to making money, I suppose. That's why we have things like Kanye West, Football, McDonalds, fox news, etc. So basically, "honing my virtue" is a matter of deluding myself into some routine which serves to perpetuate society itself, and nothing more.
>>
>>8464181
>Giving a fuck about making money
>All I care about is that I have enough money

;)
>>
>>8464215
I meant that in terms of money, I care to the extent that I want enough to survive comfortably and be able to do things that I would otherwise be unable to do easily if I didn't have money. It's necessary, but in all honesty I, and I'm sure everyone else in the world, would like to live in a world where money isn't necessary.
>>
>>8464199
? You decide what you want to perpetuate out of society. You are not merely a reflection unless you allow yourself to be. "Society" is made up of individuals. "Honing your virtue" is refining your understanding of what you define as good in life.

Also Kanye West is the opposite of what I'm talking about. Kanye is a moron, but he has a fantastic work ethic, and that allows him to be a rich, productive member of society, even though he's utterly autistic.
>>
>>8464259
It's really a shame. All I want to perpetuate in society is myself, but there's no way I could live without having to somehow having to get involved in society, or just be a starving hobo which I have no desire for.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.